GM June 2016 Sales Down 1.6% with 255,210 Vehicles Sold

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jul 2, 2016.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Despite stable and reasonably low fuel prices, the new Volt continues to top the PHEV/EV sales chart.

[​IMG]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – July 1, 2016

2016 Chevrolet Volt – $34,245 incl. mats and the $875 D&H to start offers owners a 43/42 mpgUS city/highway rating plus its claim to fame, a 53 mile all-electric range.

GM June 2016 Sales Overview

In June, GM sold 255,210 vehicles, down 1.6 percent beneath the 259,353 sold in June of 2015 with one more selling day. On a daily selling rate (DSR) basis – 36 days in June of 2016 vs 25 in 2025, sales were down 5.4 percent.

With 6-months of sales now behind them, the company sold 1,438,915 vehicles, down 4.4 percent below the 1,505,545 sold through the same period of 2015.

While the monthly and overall sales results were down, GM is focusing more on profitability then outright volume which should in theory provide higher residuals to current and future owners. With lower incentive spending and much lower fleet sales. GM stated that their Average Transaction Prices (ATPs) reached record levels in June. Its full-size pickup ATPs were up $3,300 compared to last year and Silverado recorded its highest monthly ATP in history. Year to date, GM full-size pickup ATPs are up $2,600 compared to last year.

The overall GM ATP was $35,423, more than $4,400 above the industry average and more than $1,800 above last June’s pricing.

GM’s incentive spending as a percentage of ATPs was 10.1 percent in June, well below domestic and many Asian competitors and below the industry average of 10.6 percent

Year to date, GM’s daily rental deliveries are down about 88,499 vehicles or 37 percent from a year ago.

GM’s fleet mix in June was approximately 18 percent of total sales, below the company’s full-year guidance of 20 percent.

GM June 2016 Sales Highlights

[​IMG]

The all-new 2nd gen Volt experienced sales of 1,937 vehicles, up 58.1 percent over the 1,225 sold in June of 2015. YTD sales of 9,808 are up an even larger 74.5 percent over the 5,622 sold through the first 6-months of 2015.

2016 Chevrolet Volt

[​IMG]
    On the Pacific and ready to take on any challenger.​

The Colorado is also experience increased sales with 9,049 sold, up 38 percent over the 6,558 sold in May of 2015. YTD sales of 51,227 are up 23.2 percent over the 41,575 sold through the first 6-months of 2015.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Market Share Detail

[​IMG][​IMG]

In June, VW market share was down a significant 0.5 percent from its previous 2.1 percent share. This is expected given the TDI emissions problems revealed last fall.

Nissan share was up an eye opening 0.9 percent while Toyota was down the same. Ford was up 0.6 percent while GM was down 0.7 percent vs June of 2015.

On a volume basis, June of 2016 US Auto sales of 1.51 million vehicles was up 2.7 percent over June of 2015s 1.47 million vehicles result.

2016 YTD sales of 8.59 million is up 1.1 percent ahead of the 8.59 million vehicles sold through the same period of 2015.

U.S. June 2016 Sales vs. June 2015 Sales Ranks and Results for the top 14 Automobile Manufacturers

GM June 2016 Sales Down 1.6% with 255,210 Vehicles Sold
    Ford June 2016 Sales Up 6.4% with 240,109 Vehicles Sold
    Toyota June 2016 Sales Down 5.6% with 198,257 Vehicles Sold
    FCA June 2016 Sales Up 6.5% with 197,073 Vehicles Sold
    Nissan June 2016 Sales Up 13.1% with 140,553 Vehicles Sold
    Honda June 2016 Sales Up 3.2% with 138,715 Vehicles Sold
    Hyundai June 2016 Sales Up 0.0% with 67,511 Vehicles Sold
    Kia June 2016 Sales Up 15.6% with 62,572 Vehicles Sold
    Subaru June 20165 Sales Up 5.1% with 46,598 Vehicles Sold
    BMW June 2016 Sales Down 11.9% with 33,769 Vehicles Sold
    Mercedes-Benz June 2016 Sales Up 2.3% with 31,965 Vehicles Sold
    Mazda June 2016 Sales Down 3.8% with 26,188 Vehicles Sold
    VW June 2016 Sales Down 21.8% with 23,809 Vehicles Sold
    Audi June 2016 Sales Up 1.0% with 18,445 Vehicles Sold

In June, FCA moved within 1,250 vehicles of overtaking Toyota for the 3rd position, Nissan overtook Honda for the 5th spot and Mazda overtook VW for the first time to occupy the 12th spot.

The seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles in June was approximately 17.0 million vehicles. Calendar-year-to-date, the light vehicle SAAR was 17.3 million vehicles.

2. xcel

Hi All:

I added the Hybrid and PHEV/EV sales ranks to the above as well.

Wayne

3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

For June, GM was running a "20% off MSRP" on new Chevrolet Spark/Sonic/Impala models (assumed to be the slowest movers on the showroom floor) to reverse the slide seen in the May sales figures. It was originally running from 6/1 to 6/15, and I was telling people they will be watching the sales numbers in the first third of the month. If the response was short of expectations, they'd run it through end of month. They did, and now, they extended it to 7/8/16 and it includes the crossovers and the Volt. At the rate they're going, they will run this through end of month, too, to clear out the '16s.

It is murder for resale values, but what if you aren't buying with the intent to trade up or out in a few years? My brother was in need of a car and he's known for using a car until it's old and dead, and even then gliding for that last half mile. He lives in central NY, and his commute is 76 miles a day (38 each way), so a small commuter pod is the right tool for the job.

This is what he got, with 20% off MSRP. I added in my rounded up GM Card earnings, and the final cost of the car was just over $10k including TTL.

[​IMG]

He texted me the aFCD after the first commute. I don't think it's all that bad for a brand new engine, brand new tires, a CVT that hasn't learned about its new owner, and a new owner learning what works for the car.

[​IMG]

When we were test driving it, I was giving him instructions on what should work with the car, using the highly scientific seat-of-the-pants method. The iFCD (yes, it has one, even in lowest trim level) was bouncing in the 60-70 range at a steady 45mph with TPMS reporting 41 in all tires. Although he's not a dedicated CleanMPG'er, he knows the truth and will drive right under most circumstances. With that in mind, I told him he should be in the low 50s in his daily commute, and it could be more if he should be willing to work for it.

He loves the new little Chevy, and it's turning out to be the best car deal he's made in a long time.​

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. xcel

Hi Chris:

Great choice given the price and an even better story!!! I hope he enjoys it for a good long time! :)

Wayne

5. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

From time to time, GM card holders get an offer for a higher rebate than what they had in rewards. If the Spark hadn't been excluded from the offer, I'd be in it instead of the Sonic.

xcel likes this.
  6. MaxxMPG

My brother tested both the Spark and the Sonic. The Sonic's advantages were an extra 3" of width inside (head and leg room both front and rear are about the same as the Spark), and it's oddball Opel 5x105 wheel bolt pattern means my wife's old winter tire rims would fit it. Sonic's disadvantages were the use of a timing belt in the 1.8L and 24/35 EPA relative to 31/41 EPA on the Spark. The seat in the Spark was judged a better fit. The price was unbeatable. I liked the Sonic when I rode in it because it feels like a much larger car - more substantial. The aFCD ended up at around 37 on the test drive but I'm not sure if that's optimistic or on target.

I have the old/original GM Card that limits annual earnings but allows all earnings to be applied to a new vehicle purchase, except any specific models that may be excluded within a specific time span. They tried for years to get to me to switch to the 'new' card, but fat chance. I like being able to take all that money off a small fuel efficient car rather being forced to buy some wreath-encrusted three ton FSP in order to use all the earnings.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

What , you don't like the Escalade, Chris ?

BillLin and xcel like this.
  8. MaxxMPG

Nothing that a 2.0L turbodiesel and a loss of 2500 pounds wouldn't fix. Most of these FSPs are single passenger rolling phone booths, as we all know.

Trollbait, BillLin and xcel like this.
  9. xcel

[​IMG] GM Sets June and First Half Delivery Records in China

GM and its joint ventures achieved record June sales in China of 273,563 vehicles, up 11.2 percent. This is compared to the 255,210 vehicles sold in the U.S. during June of 2015.

Buick, Cadillac and Baojun had their best June ever.

GM set a first half record for deliveries in China. Demand was up 5.3 percent over the first six months of 2015 to 1,810,476 vehicles.

Cadillac June deliveries jumped 34 percent on an annual basis to 9,552 vehicles.

Buick sales were up 10 percent year over year to 86,054 vehicles in June. The brand’s best-selling SUV, the Envision, increased 27 percent to more than 14,000 vehicles.

Baojun sales more than doubled to 43,249 vehicles in June from a year earlier. Sales of both of its best-selling models, the Baojun 730 MPV and Baojun 560 SUV, exceeded 20,000 vehicles.

Wuling sales increased 8.1 percent to 99,017 vehicles from the previous June. The Hong Guang MPV family remained popular, with demand surpassing 30,000 units. Demand for the Rong Guang V minivan was up 20 percent.

Chevrolet sales were down 25 percent year over year in June to 35,648 vehicles. The Malibu XL, Chevrolet’s new flagship sedan launched in February, increased its momentum as it posted a 46 percent month-over-month increase. The all-new Cruze passenger car will be launched this quarter.

BillLin likes this.
  10. xcel

[​IMG] GM Canada June 2016 Sales Results

GM dealers in Canada sold 26,045 vehicles in June of 2016, a 7.5 percent increase over the 24,226 sold in June of 2015.

June 2016 Canada Sales Highlights

Chevrolet sales were up 5 percent in June driven by the Spark (up 261 percent), Volt (up 167 percent ), Chevrolet Trax/Equinox/Traverse (up a combined increase of 20 percent), Colorado (up 8 percent), Silverado (up 8 percent), Suburban (up 258 percent) and Tahoe (up 98 percent).

GMC experienced itsbest first half of the year since 1989 and for the month of June, GMC sales increased 7 percent led by sales of GMC SUV/Utilities up 32 percent (Yukon up 226 percent and Terrain up 13 percent), Canyon (up 40 percent) and Sierra HD (up 12 percent).

Buick sales increased 27 percent for the month driven by sales of the Regal (up 53 per cent), LaCrosse (up 124 percent), Encore (up 20 per cent) and Enclave (up 55 percent).

Cadillac sales were up 14 percent for the month.

Canadian Big 6 June 2016 Sales Results
    1. Ford – 28,718 vehicles sold in June, up 7.2%
    2. FCA – 27,776 vehicles sold in June, up 2.1%
    3. GM – 26,045 vehicles sold in June, up 7.5%
    4. Toyota – 22,004 vehicles sold in June, up 6.4%
    5. Honda – 16,905 vehicles sold in June, up 2.2%
    6. Nissan – 14,132 vehicles sold in June, up 12.7%
    Items of note: Ford regains the Canadian sales lead over FCA.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
    BillLin likes this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Someone is getting ready for the apocalypse.

xcel likes this.
  12. xcel

Hi Bill:

You do not know how much it pains me to report that kind of number when they have the Malibu Hybrid and Volt available. :( When an OEM highlights one of the poor efficiency vehicles, I usually skip it and highlight something different.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I opted for the 1.4L turbo in my 2013, because of the timing chain in part. The transmissions mated to that engine also have better gearing for efficiency. The manual gets a whole other gear added that is a second overdrive. The automatic might be the same as was in the Cruze Eco. So consider upgrading to the LT trim and turbo for those looking at the car. My wife basically said the same about its ride, and the seats are far more comfortable than a gen2 Prius. Can't speak on the aFCD since the computer ignores EOC miles for the calculation.

My father gets a $3000 rebate other every couple of years, which is more than the awards value he has accrued. IRRC, the Corvette was the other exception along with the Spark.

14. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

I cannot picture the black suits driving around in anything less than a full-size black SUV, though. My wife watches a TV show, Bones, and I thought it interesting that Toyota was getting their SUV advertising done in that show. The FBI lead character drives a Toyota Sequoia. What next? A Nissan Armada? Or maybe something European? Nah, that'll never happen.

xcel likes this.