Week of Feb. 5th - Feb. 11th, 2007

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by brick, Feb 5, 2007.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I'll start this one off.

Got knocked down by short trips over the weekend, so I only had 48.5mpg to look at when I walked out there this morning. It's *#&%* cold! 7-9F temps with head and side winds in the 15mph range. Best I could do was to bring it up to 48.6mpg. I'm actually happy about that...I expected a loss!

The only way to pull that off in a Prius in these temps is to bundle up and run without cabin heat. (If my commute were any longer than a half hour there's no way I would be able to do it.) The engine will shut off after the first four miles or so but the HV battery won't ever get warm enough to stealth. P&G works but only just...problem is that the car doesn't want to roll.

2. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

25 degrees this morning with 14 degrees forcasted for Tuesday. I can hardly wait. I don't mind the drive in too much as the car is coming out of the garage, but the drive home after the car sits outside cold soaking the battery is a drag. Lucky I can dawdle around trying to P&G in the low 40 to high 30 mph range, but it's getting old too.

Spoiled rotten, I know, but I'm ready for Spring.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

73.5mpg and 34F - par for this 5-speed Insight.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Had some errands to run Sunday, for which I managed about 60 MPG. I probably lost 5 MPG just from the loss of engine heat while standing in the grocery store checkout line ... with the other procrastinators stocking up for the Super Bowl!

Made the commute on the new route from my fiancee's house this morning: 9.3 miles, 52.2 MPG, 19ºF. It probably would have been better but I got caught behind a school bus making repeated stops on an uphill leg early in the trip. It was still 8 MPG better than the old route, so it looks like this route's a keeper. Like Tim, I bundled up and kept the heat off, other than a couple of short bursts of the defroster to clear some light windshield fogging.

I'm down to 2 pips @ 420 miles, pushing to make another 500 mile tank.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Well-Known Member

This epic started last week:
    Ran over a screw on Friday which flattened my tire. I didn't realize it was flat until my wife saw it Saturday evening. It was -2ºF so I figured that instead of putting on the spare I would inflate it and drive to Sears for a tire repair since it's only a half mile away. When I got there, they were really busy and the guy said that there's no way I could get it fixed so I should come back the next day. Sunday morning, the tire was flat again so I had to re-inflate it. This time, the pump wasn't as strong and it even stopped. Uh oh.

You see, I have an air compressor that plugs into the car's cigarette lighter. Stupid Mr. Schaefer had the car at IG-ON both times, ran the compressor, drained the battery without driving the car very far to top off the 12v. Stupid stupid stupid.

But Priapus started (though barely) and I made it to Sears. They were really busy again but I waited it out. Three hours later, I had a fixed tire, a wall-plug air compressor, and a battery charger.

After the Bears game last night, I put a 2amp charge on the battery and ran it overnight. This morning, it was -10ºF. Electronically, Priapus sprang to life without hesitation; mechanically, he was none too thrilled about turning over. But he did and I drove to work. There were some odd noises, interesting revving situations, and at one point it seems as though I lost my battery assist during a routine slightly-downhill cruise at around 47MPH. Instantaneous mileage dropped from mid-50s to mid-30s and stayed there until I was able to come to a complete stop at the next stoplight. Things went back to normal and I was even able to get engine shut-down at lights and glide for some distances.

All in all, with the short trips to/from Sears, the fact that I let him sit and run in the driveway for a while when I thought I might have killed the 12v, and the sub-Arctic drive this morning my tank mileage has dropped from 48.x to 44.3.

6. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Strugglingbad. Really bad. :(

Turned in a tank for 35 mpg this morning. Just horrible.

Got 39 mpg for the trip in. The cold and winter weather is taking a toll on my mpg and me.

psy

7. locutus

locutus MPG Centurion

Managed just 42.7 for my commute today with balmy air temps of -15F. (No, unfortunately that "-" isn't a typo.)

Cabin heat? What's that? ;) :D

8. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

Almost hate to post given those northern temps. :). Weekend driving was fairly local and residential, so I was able to keep the tank near 60. Sitting at 60.5 after this morning. With a week of commuting and highs in the 60s forecast, I'm pretty much assured of my first 60 mpg tank! 4 pips left.

Odometer will turn 3000 on the way home. Looking forward to continued break in.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

"Bears" game?? Aside from the opening kickoff and Jones' 52-yard run, it looked to me like the Colts' game. :woot:

(Sorry for straying off topic. I couldn't help myself.)

10. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

-9 this morning. I got about 32MPG. Bahh. This is definately going to be "worst tank ever".

11. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 Well-Known Member

I for one love to hear about someone banging out a great tank, keep up the great work! Although we suffer through winter in the North, we have an advantage in the summer, spring and fall over southerners because we can run all or most (usually with wife or children same rules do not apply) of the time without a/c. So when you see 70 or 80 mpg and say how did they do that(?) it is because no a/c was used. Even if you were naked, I think you would need a/c in the summer in Texas.

Dennis

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Don't give Brittney Spears more ideas. :D :eek:

Yeah, August in Dallas is bad, esp if the car is unshaded.

13. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I had ~-5F this morning. I didn't FAS on the way to the wife's work and ended up with 39.7. From there to my work I had 46.4. This afternoon we got all the way to ~+3F and I had 47.2 on the way to pick up my wife and, from there to home, I ended up with 49.5 by the time I got backed into the garage. In this arctic weather, I'm happy with those numbers.:)

14. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 Well-Known Member

I started this morning with 61.3 mpg avg over 121.3 miles. Temp was 9 F, got 56.8 mpg over 11.1 miles dropping the tank avg to 60.9 mpg at 132.4 mi. It has dropped a little to 7 F this afternoon, I got a 50.4 mpg segment over 12.9 mi dropping me to 59.8 mpg@ 145.3 mi. The tank started high because of a downhill trip back from skiing (1170 ft downhill over 107 miles temps about 18 F).

15. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

A different, longer commute this morning on mostly expressway...temps down around 9°F, so the longer ride (=less warm-up hit) balanced out the colder temps on the way in. Sat at constant TPS as much as practical until a truck passed, then drafted the rest of the way in.

Went out during lunch on an errand; the street was littered with trash barrels from the wind -- a great obstacle course. I was doing 40 with the TCC locked up on a different way back, so I managed about 36 MPG or so for the whole trip.

Nasty crosswind from the left going home. Same routine -- low TPS until a truck passes, then accelerate into the surf draft and hang on. I couldn't get much benefit because the crosswind would blow the vortex out before I could get anything, so I was getting blown around a bit. Best I could do was hang out as far right as possible, but I had my hands full doing it. Somewhere along the way, the semi I was following at 65 passed a box truck doing 50-55, so I traded off. He wound up getting off at my exit, so I was able to draft a lot longer than I would have otherwise. :D 36.2 on the way home.

Tank's back up to a decent 35.2 from the 32.x tank I had after the snowy 200-miler on Saturday.

Back to my normal 16-mile commute tomorrow, then another long one on Wednesday. Mornings should be in the single digits for the rest of the week.

16. VaBeachPrius

VaBeachPrius Well-Known Member

You guys probably thought I feel off the face of the Earth. No, I have just been working 70 hours a week for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, it's cold (not as cold as it is in some areas, but cold enough for me). MPG sucks; 3 short trips a day, 27-29F, odd hours, tailgaters, strong winds, rain, etc. Did someone screw with the timing of lights on my trip today?

I tried to block the grill today. I got 69.x on the way to work, 61.x on the way home. Funny thing is, the exterior grill block wasn't on the car when I got to work. I was really thinking I should have blocked the grill earlier. My streak of an 800 mile tank each month might come to an end this month; I only have to average 80 mpg for the next 400 miles and I will be okay. :(

P.S. I am an officialy hypermiler; I crossed the 5000 mile threshold. What are the requirements for each level? 125%? 150%?

17. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I think it's 125% to be an "Expert" and 150% to be "Elite."

18. billy

billy Well-Known Member

Today I had to take a drive, business trip. Went from Pasco, WA to Hood River, OR and back. Outside temps have been at or below freezing recently, but today it was a balmy 37 F. Methods used today included FAS, driving with load, and never using the brakes.

The 2005 Insight is equipped with Scangauge II & Garmin GPS. Most of the radiator is blocked with a sample carpet square. A duct hose (warm air mod) is routed from the Cat heat shield to the air filter box. Final data for today's trip:

Total miles: 302
    Fuel consumed: 3.453 Gallons
    MPG: 87.44
    Fuel type: Chevron regular unleaded
    Tire pressure: 51
    Engine oil: Mobil 1 0-20w
    Wind: calm
    Highway: I-84 freeway
    Speed driven: between 54--64 mph
    SOC: remained full
    Water temp: 197 F
    Total fuel cost: $7.90
    Business tax mileage write-off: $128.40

19. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

___Temps, conditions, $ outlay, $7.90. $128.40 business write off, Priceless :D

___Finally a little reprieve. Temps from – 3 to + 1 degree F on the way in tonight. Winds were still from the side but were less then 10 mph. 41.0 was the result. I highly doubt I will bring this tank back to 40 but there is always “hope and a prayer” ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

20. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

36.7 MPG for 15.8 miles at 14°F this morning, no wind, no drafting.

Better than EPA highway for a mixed, short drive at temps 55°F colder than the test, so I can't complain.