CleanMPG Reviews The Condensator

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by tbaleno, Sep 21, 2007.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Tom Baleno – CleanMPG – Sept. 21, 2007

I received the Condensator kit for review and installed it into my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Included was a good length of hose, various other smaller bits of hose, some adaptors to connect the bits of hoses to various sizes of hoses in your vehicle, some zip ties, and of course the instruction sheet.

[​IMG]

The unit itself is very sturdy and looks like it would last the lifetime of the vehicle. It is made of a very thick strong plastic. I was able to install this in my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid without having to buy any additional pieces of hose or connectors and it only required a screwdriver. However, its bulky size did make my scratch my head for a while trying to figure out where I could get it to fit, and how I could get hoses to it.

[​IMG]
    I would say that it probably took 20 to 30 minutes to install. It could take longer depending on the vehicle and if you have to modify your car.

Unfortunately, it did nothing at all.

I removed it and it is being tested on a Ford Ranger. So far with the Ranger is showing the same results. It will be moved over to another vehicle to see if the results are replicated a third time.

One reason I think it didn't work so well is because the 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid is already a very clean engine.

The Condensator is pretty pricey at $179. In my time with it installed, I give it the lowest grade for value because it added nothing. If it ends up working on the Ford Ranger the score will be revised. So far it hasn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  2. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

You didn't mention. Is this the thing thats supposed to seperate good & bad emissions for a 2nd burn through the engine? I found a few links and that seems to be the jist of it and they claim it works better or in addition to the systems already built into the car for just that purpose. Frankly reading most of these sites makes me feel like I'm reading really bad science fiction where people ignore physics and contridict their own science. I'm not saying they do that, it just reads in the same way.

Good luck on the Ranger.

3. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

I'll be the one testing it in TorqueNada, a 96 Ranger with 2.3L and 5-spd MT. It wil be installed tomorrow, I expect to test for a few tanks.

4. tbrand

tbrand New Member

I've been using a Condensator on a 2002 Camry LE for 5 years. I can't attest to any increase in MPG because I installed it the first week after I purchased the car. But, the first time I emptied the collection jar I was appalled by the amount of sludge and water it had extracted from the gas. You will need to run more than 1 or 2 tankfulls through in order to appreciate its value. I would'nt leave home without it.

5. tbaleno

I ran it all summer I think 5 or 6 tanks at least. But my car is a ULEV so probably runs much cleaner than lots of vehicles out there, not sure what the 2002 camry is, but it is possible it doesn't run as clean.

We will have to see with the ranger if there is any improvement.

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: CleanMPG Reviews The Condensator.

Hi Tom:

___Thanks for the update as I was wondering where that little add-on went and how it was not going to add anything for those if us that watch our data like a hawk.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference on an older engine. Is TorqueNada using any oil or radiator fluid? The device might make more difference to an engine that had a lot of blow-by that was being sucked out by the PCV.

8. SlowHands

Update: Installed it yesterday afternoon.
    No, TorqueNada is keeping its vital fluids where they belong, well except for power steering fluid (stooopid Ford pumps... they puke big time when FAS'ing if you do any turning, but its not consistent...)

9. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Puking Ranger. LOLOLOLOLOL,,,,, GRRRRR

10. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Well-Known Member

Where is the review?

11. SlowHands

Review is still in progress, Tom's Civic was the first test vehicle, TorqueNada is the second vehicle...we figured that trying it in both a relatively new and in a somewhat older vehicle would be a bit more fair. I'm looking to log a couple of tanks with it.

12. SSixty

SSixty Gas Miser

$179? That's a ripoff. What makes it so much better than a $10 condensator intended for an air compressor? Is it the magic beads?

I agree that the cleaner the engine the less good it will probably do.

13. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

I'm keeping my mouth shut until the actual review is posted, and I'm ready to pounce when it does. :D

14. tbaleno

Hey, does a review have to be 2000 words. Thanks for reminding me to put up the pictures though.

15. SlowHands

Update on The Condensator. It has been installed on TorqueNada since 9/23/07, I've put on about 1300 miles or so since then. The device seems to be well made, and installed easily. I received it from Tom with no signs of liquid or sludge in the jar. As of today, I still see no signs of liquid or sludge in the jar. Upon opening the jar, there was a bit of a smell, somewhat expected that there would be. Today I pulled it off temporarily to do a few trips in this weather without the Condensator to see if any difference. Trip home with unit: 38.2 Trip back to work without unit: 38.7 Please note that I usually get a little bit better mpg on the way to work. Traffic conditions were about the same (medium heavy) and weather about the same since trips were about 15 minutes apart.

As an additional note, I checked oil again today, and after 7,000 miles that old blue pig of a Ranger TorqueNada has used only about 1/3 of a quart. I am running AMSOIL synthetic. I do indeed wonder if this device performs only for 'loose' engines, ie those that have some blowby and consume oil at a more frantic rate. Looks like at this point that both Tom's fairly new Honda and my fairly old Ford are too tight to benefit from this device.

It does NOT hurt gas mileage, but it doesn't seem to help it either, so far. I will run a few days without it, then put it back on for a few more days. If the results remain as is, ie no change, then I think I'll give it a shot in the Guzzler. The Guzzler does sip a little oil, about a quart every 2500 miles I believe, so its a bit looser of an engine, and perhaps may benefit from the Condensator. I'll update this again in about 2 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  16. tbaleno

Oh, man, I forgot to upload the pictures. I have them all nice and resized and stuff on my computer. I'm glad you posted and brought this thread to my attention.

17. voron999

voron999 New Member

Hello there.

I thought I'd register and post here because I am also testing the Condensator on my 2002 Sub. Forester. It is about 700 miles into the actual test phase with exact same results so far - nothing. The jar is still clean. I am too pessimistic about the Con working on tight engines. Maybe it helps some on high-mileage motors.

My reports in progress are here:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4369&page=7

Cheers.

18. SlowHands

Well, I think I've given it a pretty good chance on my vehicles. End result: clean jar for both TorqueNada and the Guzzler, no noticeable change in fuel economy either way. I guess that even the Guzzler is still too tight to benefit from it, since it didn't leave any gunk in the jar either after about 900 miles. The only other vehicle I could try it on would be a 1990 Dodge that my daughter bought but can't drive yet (hasn't paid the insurance yet... ) I'm guessing it might be a tad looser of an engine. Or, I can check with my landscaper/snowplower neighbor and see if he wants to put it in one of the 'rolling dead'

19. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

This is the most over-priced and over-engineered way to accomplish a little bit of PCV/EGR capture that I have ever seen. On YarisWorld a fellow posted a $30 DIY for a catch can: http://yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79085&postcount=1

And I found a way to do it for less than $20: http://yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=92340&postcount=18

I capture roughly 3ml of nasty fluid every 1000 miles.

If you enjoy "The Condensator" might I interest you in these other wonderful automotive add-ons?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260148596999

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M3-S...tegoryZ33704QQihZ004QQitemZ140140417520QQrdZ1

20. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

HAHAHHA :D Oh wow that's funny.... but what was even funny was one of the questions a potential buyer asked the seller... I'll quote it for you ;)

Priceless... actually most of the "buyer" questions are ridiculously funny.