Week of October 30 to November 5 (Nat’l Avg $2.466)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

I’m on vacation so haven’t got a clue what average gas price is! :rolleyes:o_O:p

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It's somewhere between free and too cheap. In North America, anyway.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. What! Not free or too cheap here.

Mostly done moving. Last trailer load moved Sunday.
    Freezing rain and tiny hail balls on the ride home today.

Why do i live in Michigan!

4. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Not too cheap here either.
    16*F again this morning. 41*F on the way home. Looking like a cold week ahead. Broke down and installed the snow tires tonight.
    Had a couple of errands after I got home from work. 53.5 mpg - 18.8 miles total.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

No precipitation here today. No frost on windshield, either, although It was 34 deg F. Wind W15 , 35.3 miles , 59.8 MPG. Tank is at 30.6 miles , 61.75 MPG.
    Filled up this morning: 586.8 miles/9.664 gallons ($2.639) = 60.72 MPG. fcd = 65.1. 7.2% over-report.

6. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Ok so it’s $2.466 :D - very cheap compared to UK :p

I have done some driving but not had a chance to record it on my spreadsheet yet!

Bike ride today to bike shop to have some mudguards fitted ready for the winter - 5 miles only...

BillLin likes this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

No spikes for ice racing, Gord? ;)

Gord likes this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 35 deg F , wind SE5. 35.2 miles , 62.59 MPG. Tank is at 99.8 miles , 63.42 MPG.

So far , I'm just a fair-weather cyclist. There's enough danger on the roads when it's dry and sunny.
    Throw in poor visibility and diminished traction , it gets kinda scary.

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I saw a cyclist wipe out yesterday. He was riding along the edge of the road and I guess the edge between the gutter and the pavement caught his wheel. The road had been repaved so there's a small step there.

Drizzly wet here, temps in the 50's.
    53.8 mpg / 11.4 mi to school and work

Tank 55.5 / 106 mi, still F+.

10. BillLin

Been there, done that. :( :) Only my pride was hurt and minor abrasions.

Gord and Jay like this.
  11. puddleglum

Topped off the tank again tonight but went to the wrong station and paid too much :(. Gas prices are spiking again and supposed to go higher. Also wanted to re-calibrate again. Scangauge is still way off. Set the offset to 20% this time. Only got 48.08 mpg - 211 miles. Colder darker weather is going to take it's hit no matter what I do. On the upside, I was getting just over 40 mpg this time last year.

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

I've certainly been there. There's a reason for the deep scratches on TOP of my handlebars and shifters.

Puddleglum, those are pretty good results , considering you're way the heck up there in Canadia.
    These days , I only use my Scangauge for RPM , coolant temp , and HP. I find the Prius fcd is more consistent.
    (6.6-7.0 % optimistic). I just use a 0.93 factor on all my results , and it's pretty darned close.

Today , 46.5 deg F , wind = calm. 35.1 miles , 62.4 MPG. Tank is at 176. miles , 61.66 MPG.

13. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Well! 48.4mpg...including a frienzied kid dropoff this morning. That P+G is definitely helping :)

14. PaleMelanesian

Nice one jcp! :D

Weird warm and humid weather here. Mid 70's day and night and sticky/drippy wet.
    52.7 / 5.3 - home last night
    52.7 / 11.7 - school and work this morning.

Tank is down a bit to 55.1 / 123 mi, still F.

15. puddleglum

Thanks Edwin, the Echo is pretty basic so the SG is the only fuel monitoring option. It was pretty accurate in my Rondo but not so much in the Echo. I think maybe EOC is throwing it off. It seems to miss a couple of seconds every start which adds up. Mileage was showing much lower today but probably more realistic.
    14*F (0*F with the wind chill) this morning and just got colder with some snow covered roads.
    6.2 L/100 km - 6.5 km this morning. 5.1 L/100 km - 7.7 km home. Out again this evening with the family to friends, mileage I'd rather not discuss. 10*F tonight (-6*F windchill this evening) and needed the heater and lights so no EOC. I can feel the shorter coasts already with the snow, cold and snow tires.

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Puddleglum , I think PaleMelanesian is using the "hybrid" setting on the SG and he definitely does EOC. Maybe that will work better ?

Today , 38 deg F , dry , wind N9 (headwind). 35.1 miles , 59.24 MPG. Tank is at 245.4 miles , 61.75 MPG.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  17. BillLin

Wow, it's like watching the "ICE Pilots" TV show, but of course 10 deg F is balmy for them and numbingly cold for most in the US. :) I'll take the 65 deg F (unseasonably warm for November for New England) this morning. And of course, last night was the night I remembered to cover my windshield to minimize icing. :D

I need to find a pliable yet rigid piece of material for a full lower grill block.

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  18. PaleMelanesian

It's possible it has a slow response time which loses a lot right at startup. No big deal for steady speed but in start-stop it's a problem.

Strangely warm here again. High 83, low 70.
    52.2 / 5.2 - home
    62.4 / 5.4 - out to music practice
    60.9 / 5.4 - back home
    54.8 / 11.3 - school and work this morning

Tank is up a bit, to 55.4 / 151 mi. Still above F.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  19. puddleglum

I think that's it. The ISO protocol in the Echo doesn't react as fast as newer CAN systems. Still better than nothing, I just know now I need to use it more for technique than overall mileage tracking.

20. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Yeah, the data rate on the Echo's bus was simply slow. Startup was slow on mine too, though I ran an Ultragauge instead of an SG. But the number of data PIDs didn't crank up or slow the speed, so it's just a slow bus.

Gord, BillLin and puddleglum like this.