Week of October 23 to October 29 (Nat’l Avg $2.455)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price continues to fall, it's dropped another 1.6¢ since last week to $2.455 - this time last year it was $2.222 so it's 10.5% (+23.3¢) more expensive.
    Diesel is up a touch to $2.729 (+0.5¢). It's now 12.8% (+30.9¢) more expensive than this time last year ($2.420). Diesel is an increasing 11.2% premium to regular.

No commute for me this week - car pooling :cool:

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , not so good. First , the bad news. Driving in to work , 50.5 deg , 10MPH headwind , raining all the way. 35.2 miles , 53.29 MPG.

The slightly better news : filled up this morning at my usual Shell , usual pump. 630.2 miles / 9.539 gallons = 66.1 MPG (fcd=70.9).

I did get in a nice 32 mile bike ride Saturday before our rainy Sunday.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Kids are off school today so I drove straight to work. 50F and drippy humid.

70.1 mpg / 5.2 mi. Engine only got up to 150 degrees.

Tank steady at 57.4 / 561 mi.
    F____|__/__E

puddleglum, BillLin and Gord like this.
  4. alster

alster Well-Known Member

2016 Chevy Volt Premier: lifetime / from voltstats.net from purchased new to date: Gas only mpg, real world driving, 46.61 lifetime on reg. 87 octane gas (10% Ethanol). Current gas prices Costco, Warrenton, Oregon: reg. 87 octane (10% Ethanol) = $2.499/ gal.

Last Updated: 10/19/2017 2:03:45 PM CST
    EV Miles: 17939.53 #1944 / 43.9%
    Total Miles: 26710.50 #1871 / 46.0%
    EV %: 67.2% #2243 / 35.3%
    MPG: 141.94 #1808 / 47.8%
    MPGe: 74.73 #1429 / 58.8%
    MPGCS: 46.61 #220 / 93.7%
    Achievements

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 46.5 deg F , again raining all the way in , wind W11. 35.1 miles , 59.06 MPG. Tank is at 99.9 miles and 59.06 MPG. This tank can ONLY go up , right ?

6. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Edwin, you must really be a lead foot getting the tank average so low. You may have to push the car the last hundred miles to get the average back up to your warm weather norms. ;)

Gord likes this.
  7. PaleMelanesian

47.2 / 2.4 - from work to grocery last night
    62.2 / 3.9 - home
    56.7 / 11.4 - this morning to school and work

Tank is still at 57.4 / 578 miles now.
    F____|__/__E

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Or......... do the best I can until weather improves. Sometimes my circumstances vary , like if I'm carrying passengers or not.
    Sometimes my commitment wavers. Sometimes , it's both.
    And that 99.9 miles was only 1.5 days , so not much variation in our weather during that time.
    But if you want to tease me , Bill , go right ahead , lol.

9. BillLin

Edwin, I tease you only because you're doing so well, and I don't want your head to get too big, or bigger than it is. :) Your disappointment at only 60 MPG shows how committed you are so I'd raise a glass to you (if I drank beer or other alcoholic beverages). I'm sure you'll be all too happy to raise many glasses in my stead.

I need to get my pipe insulation grill block up; I'm still parked outside while home renovations continue.

Gord likes this.
  10. PaleMelanesian

I ran out to the feed store over lunch. 70F and sunny, but GUSTY wind up to 35 mph. Any guess which direction the wind was blowing?

56.9 / 5.0 - out
    48.5 / 5.1 - back

Tank is down 0.2 to 57.2 / 589 mi.
    F_____|___/__E

11. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Yesterday was just commute to work and home. 55.2 mpg - 8.8 miles.
    Had really nice weather today so took the bike to work. Took the three of us for flu shots after work and then out for supper.
    49.8 - 8.4 miles
    Tank is showing 51.8 - 129 miles. F/_____I______E

12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 36.5 deg F , wind W7. 35.2 miles , 62.50 MPG. Tank is at 191.6 miles , 59.24 MPG.
    The other thing that really drags my tanks down is highway driving.
    On all of my 70 tanks , I took the "scenic" route ( non-highway) home 3 days out of 6.
    Going to work is ALWAYS "non-scenic" (mostly highway).
    Because of time , or other constraints , no scenic route yet this week. probably Thursday.
    I also need to get my grille block in SOON.

13. PaleMelanesian

Straight from work to a friend's house to help paint the walls.
    46.2 / 2.0

48.9 / 5.3 - home

55.5 / 11.3 - school and work this morning, 42F

Tank is down to 57.1 / 610 mi and the low fuel light just came on.

14. puddleglum

Strange weather today. It was a balmy 50 F this morning and a 10 mph SW wind. 5 L/100 km - 6.55 km. By home time, temp had dropped to 35 F with a North wind 32 gusting to 44 mph. 3.7 L/100 km - 7.55 km. It's blowing the right way for the trip home at least. Glad I don't have to do any highway driving on my commute. Wind doesn't really affect me as much in town. Coming back to town in my work van this afternoon, at one point I was on a left hand curve in the road and still steering to the right.

15. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

Wind is the thing that can put the kaibosh on what should be a good trip in my truck. Had a nice light load of under 7000lb, but a consistent 15mph south wind (directly from my left, I was headed due west) put a 20% tax on my FE that day. Steering counter to the direction of a curve is stupid common driving a big truck.

Sidewinds taxed my tall Echo, too. The Civic seems more slippery, almost immune to sidewinds though I imagine headwinds aren't all that pleasant either.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 35 deg F , wind ESE5. Car is parked outside. Three of us living there now , I let the kids use the garage.
    But winter caught me with my pants down. I figured one stroke of my wipers would clear that water off my windshield.
    Turned out to be FROST. So , the engine's already running , I get out of the car to get my snowbrush/ice scraper out of the back.
    Well, of course , it's not there ! We had temps in the 90's not long ago (Sept). So I had to turn on the front defrost and sit there
    for maybe 45 seconds , engine running, of course. 35.2 miles , 58.59 MPG. Tank is at 261.5 miles , 59.8 MPG.

BillLin and Gord like this.
  17. PaleMelanesian

Edwin, gotta get some no-freeze washer fluid. It's amazing. Squirt, wipe, wipe, drive. I use 0-degree rated fluid. I hear there's better stuff out there but they don't sell it in Texas. :p

I filled up last night.
    626 miles
    11.259 gallons
    55.5999 mpg - slightly below Scangauge's estimated 57.

58.2 / 11.5 - to school and work this morning.

BillLin likes this.
  18. BillLin

I'll have to look for better fluid. The stuff I use is rated pretty low, but somehow, it still freezes. I think the water separates out somehow...

19. PaleMelanesian

Rainx orange is what I use. I think their better stuff is purple? but I've never seen it here.

BillLin likes this.
  20. puddleglum

Jcp, I have a lot of respect for you guys in the transportation industry. Some of the horrible weather you guys have to drive through and keep the trucks on the road, plus the long hours behind the wheel, I honestly don't know how you do it. I know I couldn't.

The Rainx orange stuff here is rated to -45*c. They also have a deicer fluid but it is only rated to -40, go figure. I've never used either. I usually just get the regular blue -35*c stuff but I have used some -40 ones. I haven't found one yet that doesn't refreeze on a really cold windshield though. Just keep spraying it on with the wipers going until the defrosters start working. Very inefficient I think. I much prefer a windshield cover. no frost, no scraping and nothing gets wet.

Edwin, if your baby is going to have to live it's first winter outside, I strongly suggest as much grill block as you dare, a windshield cover and plug in the block heater. Hopefully you have one.

-9*c (16*F) here this morning. 5.3 L/100 km - 6.5 km to work. Came straight home from a job so no commute home.

jcp123, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.