CleanMPG Fuel Economy Challenge V - Spring 2009

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by PaleMelanesian, Feb 25, 2009.

1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Presenting the Spring 2009 Challenge, running from March 1, 2009 until May 31, 2009.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/car_and_flower.jpg[/xfloat]Andrew McGuckin - CleanMPG - March 1, 2009

Spring is coming, and with it comes better gas mileage! Join us in our quarterly challenge to beat the EPA mileage ratings. The winner is the driver who beats the EPA by the highest percentage.

Drive your daily routes in your normal car. Real-world cars, real-world routes, everyday conditions, etc. This is where the real results prove the value of hypermiling. Remember the CleanMPG motto, "Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive".

Results from previous economy runs:
    I: February - May 2008. Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: June - August, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: Sept - Nov 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)
    IV: Dec 2008 - Feb 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), GaryG (B), jhu (C)

Final results posted: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22490

How to Join
    To participate in the March to May economy run, all you have to do is the following:
    1. Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov. CleanMPG staff will move your vehicle into a separate category for this challenge. Please use a new log and leave the winter logs as-is until the Challenge IV results are tabulated.
    2. Post here in this thread to announce your participation. Be sure to include a link to your new mileage log.
    3. Post in this thread with updates. Start wherever you are now, and use your next fillup, whenever it comes, as the start of your log. You must have a minimum of 1000 miles or 3 fillups in the 3 months to qualify. (special consideration given if discussed in advance)
    The standings here on page 1 will be updated periodically.

Handicaps
    For a level playing field, we will all use the new revised EPA estimates for fuel economy.

Hybrids receive a bonus of 25% on top of the calculated Percent over EPA rating. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.

If you are using E85 instead of regular gasoline and EPA ratings are not available, you can estimate your E85 rating. Just lower the gasoline numbers by 25% and round to the nearest MPG. Enter this as your EPA rating.

Which Division?
    This was created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.

For Returning Members:
    For most, I recommend staying in your previous division. If you placed in the top of B or C, you should consider moving up. If you placed poorly in A or B, you might consider moving down.

For New Members:
    If are are new to hypermiling or to this challenge then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.

I recommend the C division under these circumstances:
    • If your mpg in a 2007 or older car is under 125% of the old epa rating (100% for hybrids)
    • If your mpg in a 2008 or newer car is under 150% (125% for hybrids)

I recommend the B division under these circumstances:
    • If your mpg in a 2007 or older car is under 150% of the old epa rating (125% for hybrids)
    • If your mpg in a 2008 or newer car is under 175% (150% for hybrids)

Higher than these limits and you should be in Division A. You probably know who you are. ;)

Official Standings
    Division A
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Hybrid +25% bonus
    lnmcmahan [​IMG]
    PaleMelanesian [​IMG]
    CobraPond [​IMG]
    Daox [​IMG]
    diamondlarry [​IMG]* 192.08%
    Right Lane Cruiser [​IMG]* 187.69%
    MT Bucket [​IMG]

Division B
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Hybrid +25% bonus
    groar [​IMG]
    nissynis [​IMG]
    froggman [​IMG]
    efusco [​IMG]* 179.26%
    Sentra SE-R [​IMG]
    Kacey Green [​IMG]* 172.05%
    sulfuric [​IMG]
    swineone [​IMG]
    JusBringIt [​IMG]
    PDK [​IMG]* 152.09%
    jhu [​IMG]
    Hybridized [​IMG]* 141.95%
    Slowhands [​IMG]

Division C
    Column1Column2
    Driver Vehicle
    Damionk [​IMG]
    drummerboy2004 [​IMG]
    WoodyWoodchuck [​IMG]
    TomMig [​IMG]
    Taliesin [​IMG]
    Die2self [​IMG]
    Mr. Pancake [​IMG]
    chilimac02 [​IMG]
    Oldtruck1952 [​IMG]
    espace [​IMG]
    dixonge [​IMG]

Final results posted: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22490

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. PaleMelanesian

Here's my entry for Division A.
    [​IMG]

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Here's my entry for Division A:
    [​IMG]

Hey Andrew, it looks like we're tied for 1st. :D

4. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Sign me up for division C. I will make the entry of the car sometimes this week. Thanks.

5. froggman

froggman Honda Prelude owner

Hi Andrew, please put me in Div. B again.
    Thanks

6. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

The scam of ethanol effects everyone's mileage and if E10 is not the biggest scam over mileage of a least 15% as a handicap, I'm out of this new challenge. No problem with a 25% bonus with the E85 crap, but us that have no other choice but Eshi* all year round should get a bonus also.

GaryG

7. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Hi Andrew, glad to see you are keeping the three month runs going!
    You can put me in the A div.

8. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Here is the Car for the Spring Run :
    [​IMG]

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Andrew, I'm in but I'm not sure which vehicle(s) will be included yet.

Gary, E10 is mandated pretty much everywhere now -- most of us are in the same boat. I know that neither of my vehicles has ever run on anything but E10.

10. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

As far as the E10 concern, it's not in many of our stations in my area.

11. TomMig

TomMig Well-Known Member

12. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I'm re-entering in div B "one 'mo 'gain"

[​IMG]
    Same car, same Pic everything

13. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

Alright, I’ll give this a go.

Best put the Red Rocket and I in the first timers Division C and see how we do.

- Woody

14. lnmcmahan

lnmcmahan Econoclast

I'm in. Sign me up for whatever division you think is appropriate, but don't make it too hard. :) Oh, my wife has warned me that I have to give her and the kids the car for a week in March to go to the Mojave. I guess I'll just have to take the hit, as I agree with Andrew that minimizing total family gas usage is the real game. And I can try to get the landboat over 25, maybe 30.

Larry

15. PaleMelanesian

Considering you're at the top of Div A for round IV, I think A is right for you.

That family trip will be tough to overcome, though. I'm always conflicted about those cases.

16. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

If he's got a good run going, what do you bet he rents her a Fit?

17. jstol3

jstol3 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of questions. 1. Does this start 3/1/09? 2. I agree with GaryG on the handicap for E10. I live in Missouri and all gas sold here is mandated by law to contain 10% ethanol.

I have no problems with ethanol except that it is way overpriced and it does limit FE. It is not fair to run people burning E10 heads up with others burning straight gas - especially when some of us have NO CHOICE!

18. espace

espace Active Member

19. espace

espace Active Member

Let's try that again with Signature Goodness...

I'm in for Division C:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I doubt my current tank will be as good as my first (35 mpg). Using 2008 numbers will make that look spectacular, though.

20. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

Count me in. I will make my new log shortly. We were finally able to get the Suzuki repaired (should get it back next week), and, assuming Wayne doesn't slack on getting the scangauges out I will get that next week as well. Put me in Div. C.