Working on 50 mpg

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by psyshack, Jun 15, 2006.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I had a short tank ,, 300 miles or so that came in at 50.53 mpg this week after I installed a engine belly pan.

Im currently at 50.7 mpg on this tank in the Civic. I just drove into work with my best segment to date at 54.8 mpg. Saw a spike of 56 mpg on the SG.

I think I will be ordering the HCHII undertrays before to long.

This is 90% hwy driving trying to keep ice on speeds between 55 and 60 mph and of course useing all the other tricks of the craft in the book.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Psy:

___Not only do 50 + mpg segments sound great, welcome back!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Green&Blue

Green&Blue Well-Known Member

You know, seeing that result really makes me pine for a 5MT option in the HCH2. I'd be happy to FAS with that tranny.

Anyway, this may be your lucky day, Psy ? I cracked my Fr. splash shield the other day during an oil change (Mobil 1 is finally in the car!). Ordered a new one and need to go pick it up - it'll come in a box, and then I'd be happy to send you my old one in that box. I'll even scan and print out instructions on how to install from my service manual (you'll need to get the Dzus fasteners and 2 10mm bolts, as I won't get replacements with the shield). Not that it's that complicated, of course ;)

It's the shield that goes right behind (attaches to) the fr. bumper cover. You'll also have a front undercover (which you'll have to remove completely (9 Dzus, 2 bolts) every time you change oil or tranny fluid, unless you have a lift high enough (about 30in or more, as my 21in jack height is still shy of allowing the 'flip over' portion to actually flip)), 2 front floor covers, 2 rear floor covers, and a rear cover. You'll also need the Dzus fasteners, in 2 different sizes, and 2 10mm bolts for the front cover to attach to the front subframe. There are strake panels for each wheel, too, if you want them.

The fr. shield cost me $18 at the dealer. The front undercover goes for about $35 or so online, the others are similarly priced, I think.

This page shows the exploded view, part #s, and costs for all parts except the fr. undercover and splash shield:
    https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=2753&hp_series_model=CIVIC&hp_series_year=2006&hp_series_door_ext_grade=4DR+HYBRID&hp_series_transmission=CVT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=G&hp_component=B++4211

If you'd like the splash shield, let me know, and also send me a PM with a shipping address. I don't logon much, so send reply through this thread if you PM me. Thx.

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

more power to the civics!

5. psyshack

Just did a tank at 50.2 mpg. 487.4 miles with 9.7 gal of fuel used. Its very hard to push this car to this level. The last two days the southern winds on the drive home have been making me say very bad things to God. With looks on my face something like Homers when he left NYC. :)

6. xcel

Hi Psy:

___If it is any consolation, I can almost bet you are the first person on the planet to nail a 50 + mpg tank in the 1.8 L equipped, 2006 Honda Civic EX. Well done if I do say so myself!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

Rather than to start another thread, I will hijack this one with a similar subject. 2001 Prius, Carson City to Sacramento and back. 350 miles, 49 mpg. I took back roads and slowed for scenery and curves. This is a double crossing of the Sierra Nevada (CA) mtns. I am sure that many here could have obtained higher mpg but my attention was mainly focused outside the car -- these are some beautiful roads.

I took advantage of several turnouts to let the faster cars pass, but the only 'beep beep' I got in thanks was from one of the many motorcycles also out enjoying the drive.

The Nokian i3 tires 185 width 48/45 psi continue to hold down my city mpg, but they are not so bad at highway speeds. This trip had more intermediate speeds' and the fuel economy turned out better than anticipated.

DAS

DAS

8. philmcneal

any idea what is your average speed?

9. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Psy- Great to see you pushing out such huge numbers!

10. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

Yes, but to answer requires a more complete report. Westbound starts at about 5000 feet, cresting 7000, and ends at 500. Eastbound starts 500, crests 8000, ends 5000 feet. The westbound (net descending) segment was 60 mpg, and the eastbound (net ascending and also longer) was 43.1 mpg.

On both segments my typical uphill speed is 45 mph, level 55, downhill 65. Slower downhill through the twisty bits of course. Total payload about 140 kg. Excess electrical load 200 watts or a bit less.

I do strive to glide on levelish roads, but probably with less skill than most here. Also, I discarded 50 - 100 milliliters of fuel to chase down a RX 400H that had passed me. Just wanted to take a peek.

DAS

11. psyshack

Im finding the Civic to be really testie at and around the 50 mpg mark.

Yesterdays drive home was murder. No wind, high temps. I didnt hit the magic mark untill about a mile from the house. Some days it seems to think nothing of laying down good numbers. Then the next on the same excat drive it dosent want to get in the game.

12. psyshack

Just had my best segment to date coming into work in the Civic at 55.2 mpg. With winds in the 20 to 25 mph range this afternoon It will be a real struggle to keep the tank at 50 mpg or better.

13. psyshack

Just had another best segment. 56.6 mpg into work. Right at a 42 mile drive, 90% hwy. Tank is setting at 50.8 mpg.

14. xcel

Hi Psy:

___And you thought the young girl didn’t have it in her not 2 months ago! Keep up the great segments as this one is going to be a great tank ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. psyshack

This car is confusing me to no end. Best I could do this am was 51.2 mpg for the segment in. No wind, low 70'sF, good traffic. A perfect morning for a drive! Its like its got a mind of its own. I think it has a bi-polar problem between the ECU, forward speed, versus load and the semi atkins head.

Its acts like at times it has a whisky pud and just cant climb up on the mpg curve. The result is you have to really work to get it to do anything.

I wish more where hypermiling the r18 insted of trying to get HP out of a engine that was clearly designed and built for FE.

The tank should come in at a honest 50.2 or so mpg. I just cant help but think there is more there. The trick is to understand the engine and how to exploite it.

GGRRRRRR

16. psyshack

Just filled the car up. 638 miles on 12.5 gal.,, good for 50.9 mpg. Shes a hard nut to crack. Could have went 700 miles plus on the tank. I have a 200 mile trip or so in the am. The car needs to go to the dealer for some warrenty concerns. Nothing major.

17. philmcneal

**** you hit the 600 mile mark before i did congrats!

18. psyshack

Phil this was my 4th 600 mile tank. It had a soild 700 mile tank in it. I just had to fill it for a trip Im taking in the am. Had two bars left on the fuel gauge.

19. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Belated

Congratulation on psyshack for getting over 50mpg and Tochatihu for being on the brink!

20. psyshack

Got back into the groove today. Tank ave. is at 49.6 mpg after todays road work.