Wow!!!

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by FrJohn, Jan 30, 2008.

1. FrJohn

FrJohn Well-Known Member

Just picked up my brand new 2008 HCH II last evening. Everything went very smoothly, and I was out of the dealership and on my way home in record time.

Managed to get 40.8 mpg on the way home (according to the aFCD) and I was thrilled with that! Now, this morning, I pulled 45.8 mpg on the way to work! This just keeps getting better and better! I can only imagine what it'll be like once things are broken in (grand total of 76 miles on the car as it sits in the parking lot this morning).

I actually managed to glide on several segments of my trip in this morning, and even, for a wee little bit, got an EV Glide. Boy, does that ever take a steady foot!!

Wayne, I'd like to thank you for that absolutely wonderful article on hypermiling. Tarabell, you have my gratitude too, for that hypermiling article specifically on the HCH II. I had read both of those articles over the past week and, while the "alphabet soup" was more than a little confusing at first, I finally managed to understand the tips you were giving. I was able to put most of them to work for me last evening and this morning.

Can't wait to pump up that tire pressure, block that grill a bit, and see what this sweet little machine will actually do!

Now, since I'll be alone on the ride home tonight, I think I'm goin' barefootin'!! LOL ... Tarabell, I can honestly see where that would be an advatage early on! That accelerator pedal is VERY sensitive.

Y'all have a wonderful good day, and rest assured ... If this antique PA Dutchman can do it, you can too!!

Pax

Fr. John

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Excellent news, Fr. John! I look forward to following your progress. :)

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Those are great results for the winter - wait until it gets above 60F. Right now, the coolant can take as long as six miles to reach 195F, but during the summer, it's less than two miles. Without the cold weather, the results might have been at least 10% better - more if dealing with ice or snow.

4. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Congratulations Fr. John.

I can't wait until you start reporting ridiculously high mileage achievements. I would say that there is likely a bet going on at the moment. ;)

And yes, please post some pictures whenever you get a chance. :)

Cheers;

MSantos

5. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

wonderful start! i am sure you will be more pleased every time you drive it.

6. shifty35

shifty35 Well-Known Member

Well done! You are also in the fortunate position of watching mpg numbers climb as both your skill and the weather improve!

I don't know your motivations for your purchase, but my Insight purchase was primarily motivated by reading Serve God, Save the Planet by Dr. Matthew Sleeth (and fellow Insight driver!). The book is a great call to Christians to take care of the creation seriously. I'd recommend it to anyone interested!

The saving money aspect just turned out to be a huge bonus. As my wife and I prepare to buy another family vehicle, the Prius and the HCH-2 are at the top of our lists - of primary importance is low emissions and gas mileage!