Workin' it.

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by tbaleno, May 4, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Well, I was sitting on a near 60mpg tank. I was wondering how long it would last, and now I know.

It started out okay. Arrived at work at 59.9mpg on the gauge. But then I killed it at lunch.

I drove to the restaraunt today. Myself and two others where in the car. Trying to keep up the milage I gave them a little lesson on some of the more extreem techniques. I managed to make it back to work with 55mpgs showing. It hurt, but I hoped I could make up for it.

I got a call from the wife. Baby needs diapers. OUCH that means an extra stop. Okay, I'm in for a work out now. I decided to get the diapers near home so my car had time to warm up. I'm not sure if thats the right thing or wrong thing to do. But its what I did.

On the way to home and the store I did manage to get up to a high of 61mpg. The SoC was hugging 1/3 a charge. Every time I was accelerating I was in charge mode. That hurt lots. I'm wondering now if I should have let the charge build up to half before hitting the FASs. Well, I got to the store with about 59 showing on the gauge. Ahh that might be nice if I had a prius, but with my little civic the numbers just started dropping. I ended up leaving the parking lot at about 58. I live two blocks from the store (heh I should have parked the car and walked to the store. I guess I'm not perfect ;). I was able to bring it up to about 58.8 or something (I don't remember what was on the gauge). So close to my goal Its amazing how 1.2MPG can be dissapointing huh?

Oh well. We are taking my car to Kalamzoo tomorrow and I hope I can bring the car back to 60mpg with a loaded car. Cross your fingers. Every one west of chicago blow east from noon to 3 and everyone east of MI get out those straws and suck wind from the west during that time ;) I'll need all the help I can get ;)

2. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Good luck Tom! I will suck for all I'm worth. It's nice to see you stretching for the 6 handle.

100 miles into my current tank and I am 0.05 MPG short of my goal. I feel your pain. One suggestion though..... brown bag it to work. You will save $ on lunch and that 1.2 MPG will be yours.:D

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Well, any way you slice it you guys are doing better than I am! This tank is 45 miles deep as of this afternoon, and I've done nothing but my 5 mile commute that I do three days a week, one 9 mile trip to the other office, and this afternoon's 2 mile trip to Lowe's (on a mercifully warm engine), in the cold rain. Yuck! I'm too afraid to look at the tank average on the ScanGauge but if I had to guess I would presume it is at 31, maybe 32mpg tops. It's much better than the 25-27 I would have been getting the way I used to drive but still way below what I would like. Driving on a cold engine just makes me want to cry sometimes.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, though. I'll be on the road and the weather should be tremendously improved starting tomorrow, with afternoon highs around 75 :D. I'm hunting for that elusive 40mpg afternoon segment and I think it might be possible if I pull out all the [forced auto] stops. I think my 40-41mpg weekend highway average is about ready for some improvement, too.

That's all the news on my end. Thumbs up to you guys for setting the bar high!

4. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

my SG in the Civic showed 51.5 for todays efforts. That was with a 20 mph head wind going home. Tanks at 45.7. Im sure hand calc's will show 42 to 43 mpg on fill up thursday evening...

5. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

microwavable tv dinners for me. I notice lately its been harder and harder to stay at a consistant 50 mpg mark, I think a lot of what I go through in traffic is luck because all it takes is just one or two lights and I'll never see mid 40 mpg's again, then again my routes are very short and there are no second chances when trying to aim for gold.

i like this part of the fourm ~

6. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I left the house this am in the rain with two bars left on the gas gauge. The two bars where gone at the county line. I drove on in to Tulsa, droped the wife off and then shot across town to my work place. 600 miles on this tank. Im about 25 to 30 miles into the tank past the big "E". Looks like I will have to fill it up here in Tulsa and for go a run home for a record tank. :(

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Did it! :D 9 miles, 9 traffic lights, no wind, 79 glorious degrees (F), and dry roads from a cold start: 41.2mpg

I'll take it!

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

___You have probably already left but have a great trip anyway and more importantly, enjoy yourself. God knows you sure did earn the vacation given what you have provided for CleanMPG the last few weeks.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. tbaleno

Made it to the hotel with 60.5 showing on the FCD. Getting stuck in rush hour sure wasn't fun but after 30 miles the other 130 was a breeze. Sort of... I pretty much had to stay at 48 to 55 or so with peaks of 60mph down hills to keep the gauge showing 80mpg to try to bring the trip up from 50 after 30 miles to 60 after 130. I didn't do any drafting since most of the trucks were going to fast anyway. I didn't use FAS since I had the wife and kids in the car with me. So it was driving with load (to the extreme sometimes) and keeping the speeds down.

I feel like I won't the fight. after about 450 miles or so my tank is sitting at 60mpg.

10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

___When in unfamiliar territory in a higher speed environment (non-local Interstates), relying on leanburn with your HCH-I or an Insight is about all you can do. Sitting at 60 + as you are is tremendous imho. My FE almost always drops below my lmpg(s) when far away from home with the family loaded up given the wide open territory, unpredictable winds, and higher speeds. To top it all off, the wife and kids always need A/C when its just 73 degrees outside :( You are doing extremely well!

___Don’t forget to enjoy your vacation now, OK!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

11. tbaleno

Naw. the temps were around low to mid 60s so no a/c needed. That helped alot.

12. tbaleno

Update, Trip to battle creek I got 67.5 or something like that. The way home I only got 57mpg. I'm hopping the trip up made up for the bad trip back.... We shall see.

13. tbaleno

I'll probably be filling up today. I'm debating on filling up here or when I get home. I have about 3/8 of a tank left.

I'm pretty sure I can push well over 60mpg on the way home so it would probably help the tank and push me over 700miles. On the other hand. Gas is about $.20 cheaper here.

I'll post in later this afternoon with my results.

14. tbaleno

I filled up before the trip home. I put in 10.08 gallons. This made me raise an eyebrow considering 3/8ths of the tank still had gas. The car read 59.0 on this tank. But calculated was around 52. Thats way off and another reason I suspect something is up with this fill up.

I made it from Kalamazoo to chicago with the first bar just ticking off my fuel gage (that would be about 160 miles) This is another pointer that pump put in more than the usual alotment of fuel. 160 is where I would get the first bar to dissapear when I used to top off. I suspect this next tank will compensate for the low reading today.

The drive home started okay. I got it up to 69mpg. Then we stopped for some lunch and a car wash and it went down to 68.9 or something. Then getting on the highway it started creaping down It stayed at 67.1ish for a while. Then went up to 68.1ish. Then I hit construction and it started going south from there. I went from the 68 to 65.9ish from when I hit chicago until I got to my house.

So ends the saga.

15. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Hmmm. Might this tank potentially push you into the 50's LMPG?

Sounds like quite the successful trip.