Who did you meet at Hybridfest 2007?

Discussion in 'Events and Gatherings' started by xcel, Aug 1, 2007.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Just a few quick stories about the people I met at HF2007. Add your own when you find the time!

___I was sitting at the CleanMPG booth doing my think when I believe Chuck pointed something out across the walkway by the Toyota Mobile Hybrid Experience. What I saw, I could not believe. I was like WTF and oh my god in the same sentence! Here is the pic.

[​IMG]
    Katie across the aisle.​

___It turned out that this is IMAHybrid (Katie) all the way up from Florida of all places! Run through the HF2007 gallery to see how her and her Boyfriend packed their little beauty for the trip as well as a ton of other great pics ;) Her Boyfriend is a Corolla driver and I was fortunate enough to meet him as well!

___Here is another little something she did at the hypermiling clinics on Sunday that made me proud …

[​IMG]
    Oh yeah, 105 + in a clinic :D

___I was walking over to the general stage to watch Ron DeLong of ScanGauge do a presentation on the SG when I ran into a new Prius-II owner who had participated in the FE challenge. I forgot his name but you know me, someone wants to talk about FE or hybrids or future tech or automobiles on the web, etc. I never did make it over to the stage as we talked about all kinds of things Hybrid and Prius-II related. Come to find out, he traded in an Escalade of all things for his Prius a few weeks prior and was already kicking @$$ and taking names. He cannot wait until the FE challenge next year so he has a much better handle on what to expect.

___Another interesting story everyone will be interested in reading at a later date … I have been trying to get her to write something up for a “Ride of the Week” and I am sure it will come in time. Let me introduce you to Sue Adams. She actually won her Prius-II and there is a very heartfelt story behind it. You have to wait until she actually does the write-up but trust me, it is a story where a divine hand must have been involved.

[​IMG]
    Sue Adams and her Prius-II.​

___Many of us were helping the Hybridfest team cleanup the Alliant Center when I happened by the Biodiesel/Veg booth. I started talking to those individuals about all kinds of cool things. Turns out Mike Clark was the lead and was very informative and knowledgeable about the questions I posed wrt Bio and future diesel fuel requirements …

[​IMG]

___Great group they were and while standing there talking, I found out there was an individual named Jesse who had come out from I believe MA. in a Prius-I. The interesting thing about this Prius-I is that it had over 300,000 miles on it! My mouth nearly hit the floor when I heard that. Although not a hypermiler by any stretch, he has an lmpg from 89K when he bought it to 309K as it sits in his drive today somewhere around 42 something all the while traversing the continent at 80 +. He was with us as we departed for an impromptu fast food meeting with the HF 2007 team and some others members that were all hanging out before everyone's respective long drives back home.

[​IMG]
    After HF2007 gathering at a local Culver’s.​

I can’t really explain what the following pic is all about but I am sure there are at least 15 others that will be glad to tell you all about it :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Driving Jesse’s Prius-I for all its worth in a parking lot with a local police officer looking on with keen interest :angel:​

___There are plenty more stories to add but the interesting thing is now when I read a post from those that I met, I hear them and their accents reading the post with me. It is quite strange to hear Dan with his Texas drawl, gentleman Jim (JimboK) with his business like southern Virginia accent, Bob Winger with his deep voice and laugh, Hobbit and his New England with a touch of Boston accent telling me about MG1’s internals or some other such tech or FE discussion. I hope I can get those voices out of my head soon or people are going to think I am nuts :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Not much to add, except to question the "gentleman" tag! :)

I wish I could remember everyone I met. Certainly the CleanMPG Grandmaster himself. Some of the other CleanMPG mainstays: Tom, Chuck (sing along now: "Hail to the Redskins....!") and ... (who am I leaving out?). The other Prius folks: Dan, Jerad, Larry, Evan, Jay, Craig (Priussoris on PriusChat), Rich (being presumptive here, buddy -- you know you want one!). The FEH gang: Debbie, Gary (I enjoyed talking fire & EMS with you), Rich (again). Bob (Rhwinger), my neighbor to the east (wanna car pool next year??). The hard-working and gracious host team headed by Eric. Ryan Fulcher (of EEA-PHEV, DOliO on the forums), who was kind enough to try to help me with my Can-View data logging issues (and who also was stumped -- makes me feel less inferior now!). The MPG Champ (and clean car fanatic) Billy. And of course renewing acquaintances with folks like Hobbit, and the master EBH installer Wayne M. and wife Teresa (and finally meeting daughter Judy).

Who am I missing?

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

JimboK, there was a ex-employee that was trying to get me to sing "Hail to the Redskins", but it was because he was born with the troller gene - if he was in DC he would be wearing a Cows Terrible Owens jersey....

People on the net I met for the first time in person at HybridFest:
    • FireEngineer
    • bear15
    • TonyPSheaffer
    • IMAhybrid
    • DebbieKatz
    • locutus
    • efusco
    • diamondlarry
    • Priusoarus (sp)
    • JimboK
    • rhwinger
    • GaryG
    I'm sure this list is not complete....

4. locutus

locutus MPG Centurion

Lots of people I met for the first time too. It was great to be able to put faces (and accents ;)) with names.

- Dan (fellow Prius "centurion" ;))
    - Delta Flyer
    - JimboK
    - Pravus Prime
    - DebbieKatz
    - efusco
    - diamondlarry
    - SlowHands
    - TheForce
    - highwater
    - GaryG
    - Sledge
    - Many others that I'm probably forgetting at the moment...

Also, not CleanMPGers, but:
    - "coastal Dave" from CoastalETech
    - Ron DeLong ("Mr. Scangauge")

5. IMAhybrid

IMAhybrid Well-Known Member

:)

I met Wayne (xcel), ofcourse.

I made a point of talking to Tom (tbaleno) when he was owner of the hour because he was kind enough to send me his extra EGR valve gasket. Plus, like he said, we've been around the boards a long time, so it's nice to put a face (and a voice) with the name.

Chuck (Delta Flyer) started talking to me as we were about to move the cars into the fairground, telling me he had a silver 2000 Insight too. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time talking to him.

Rich (Pravus Prime) and Debbie (DebbieKatz) I met at the driving clinic on Sunday. As you can tell from the picture above, that was a good day. Rich struck me as having a good sense of humor, which I hadn't caught on to before then.

There were a few other cool people I met, but I'm not sure they're on any of the forums.

Hope to see all of you again next year, and those that couldn't make it this year. For example, I was hoping to meeting Terry (tigerhonaker).

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I met so many people that I hope I don't forget any of them.
    Dan
    Delta Flyer
    Pravus Prime
    SlowHands
    TheForce
    rhighwater
    Sledge
    FireEngineer
    bear15
    TonyPSheaffer-and Priapus too
    DebbieKatz
    locutus
    efusco
    Priusoarus (sp)
    JimboK
    GaryG
    Hobbit
    I also met Ron DeLong the inventor of the greatest hypermiling tool ever
    Turbo Willy
    Billy
    Bradlee
    Justin
    Eric & Becky & Linda
    Francis(sp?) from Wisconcin Clean Cities
    Tom Keurer
    IMAhybrid while she was talking to Tom
    Tom and his wife and children
    And last, but certainly not least, Wayne without whom I wouldn't have gotten to lead the informal "parade" on the way to the clinic course.:D
    If there was anyone else I met that I didn't mention, let me know.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Banned

Oh, story time, story time!

We had finished cleaning up the Energy Center, and caravaned off to dinner, which was kind of cool, as it's where the Madison Hybrid Group usually meets. We had our dinner, discussed the show, the people, etc. As we were walking out and after we realized we really needed a pic of the group, Jesse, seen in the yellow shirt kneeling, didn't believe our claims of our mileage. When prompted, Wayne replied that in Jesse's own vehicle, he could probably get aound 89 MPG. Jesse demanded Wayne prove it, and tossed him the keys. So, off went Wayne and Jesse in his Prius-1.

They drove around a mall parking lot in circles as the sun went down, back and forth. A question was prompted as the minutes went by from one of the people in the assembled lot, "Is Wayne the type that will sit there until he proves it, no matter how long it takes?" About 15 voices responded in unison, "Yes."

It was a bit funny, a group of us stood in a parking lot, watching Wayne take a Prius in loops in a mall parking lot at Dusk, and we were all watching attentively! However, Wayne seemed to be losing his touch! He had retained his shoes, the windows were rolled down, and after a time, the headlights came on!

As we mused, a marked Police Car came in, and went through the drive-through next to us. We all had a good laugh at the idea of someone calling to complain about us "Adult Delinquints" hanging about in the parking lot. Things got funnier as the police car went into the empty lot, and seemed to be waiting to spring on Wayne as he continued to circle the parking lot!

Bradlee decided that after the cruiser didn't spring on Wayne, to go over and explain the situation, laughable as it would be, to them. So, he crossed the lot, walked over to the car, and explained what's going on. When he returned, as we thought, they'd just gone over to the parking lot to eat their dinners, and were now going to enjoy the show!

There was a close call as a minivan nearly got in Waynes way, "Oh the Humanity!" I cried as the minivan finally moved and Wayne narrowly averted destruction. However, that wasn't the end, as a Prius pulled into the parking lot of the resturant, and Hobbit ran over to talk to them. Another cruiser arriving for dinner added to the absurdity of the situation, when finally Wayne returned, beating his guess, and satisfying Jesse's challenge.

It was a sad goodbye, but one that was necessary as after chatting some more, we all went our seperate ways.

LOL, yes, I suppose that doesn't always come off quite so clearly on the internet; though I suspect that it comes across better in chat. (Yeah peoples, we have a chat room here!)

I was going to respond and say, Hybrid owners came out to meet me! but there is one special person I'd like to say I met, and that's Bob Winger, AKA Rhinger, who I teased about not having a hybrid, and always responded with a hearty and happy laugh.

In all honesty, it was great meeting people like Katie, Jim, Bob, Larry, Gary, Slowhands (heh), etc., as well as spending time with John, Chuck, Hobbit, Debbie, Tom, and Wayne once again. (Wayne isn't sick of me yet, I must be doing something right! ;) ) There were many people I met, and all of them are great people, who made going out there well worth it, so I'm not going to spend the next week naming you all!

8. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Just found this thread - only 6 months late?

I met a lot of interesting and dedicated people. Where do I start?

First, I'll mention Chuck - quite a guy at finding news articles and posting them here on CleanMPG. I'm glad he's part of us. It was great to meet you Chuck!

Then there is Billy, who drove an awsome red Insight from Washington state, tricked out with some interesting mods. I think he won the MPG challenge? 168 mpg or something.

Rayndal, who drove his Insight from Oklahoma who took a lot of time to show me his hybrid with MIMA, a way cool joy stick to run it and other interesting mods. Sorry, I'm horrible with names.

The lady who lent Wayne her Insight (Debbie?) so he could compete in the MPG challenge. She also had a lot to do with organizing the entire event.

Pravus Prime, who for the whole weekend refused to believe I drove a hybrid. ;-)

IMAHybrid and her boy friend with the cool T shirt. I want one!

Bear15 - who drives an 06 HCH II just like mine - and who seems to drive just a teeny little more efficiently than me! Keeps me on my toes.

Tom and his wonderful family.

Hobbit - the professor of the group.

Laurie with her quick but plentiful giggles.

Jason and his Prius with the "show me" challenge to Wayne. Priceless!

A perfect stranger who lent me his rechargable batteries when mine died in my camera.

JimBo - the Richmond hypermiler extrodinare.

Dare I mention the dudes Hobbit, JimBo and I bumped in to in the hotel elevator? They took one look at our T shirts and CleanMPG hats and said: "You must be some of them thare hybrid guys?"

Another guy who wanted to push his car up a hill to the MPG Challenge finish line?

A bunch more, but I can't remember their names, and the circumstances would just bore you.

And last, Wayne. Thanks for putting me up at your house, picking me up and dropping me off at the airport, getting me to HybridFst and back. An awsome "clinic" to witness whenever he drove.

We all missed Tarabell. Hope you are doing well.

All in all, there were a bunch of great people coming together on a singular issue.

Sorry if I misspelled someone's "name".

Hope to see you all at HybridFest 08.

Thanks,

Bob

9. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

:::raises hand::: that would be me :) (that's the car in my avatar!)

See you in July!

10. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

Hi Bob --

I did get to meet you, but Linda's Insight could probably fit in the back of my FEH :D

See you again this summer :)

11. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Ohh... you saw that?!? :eek:

12. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

Not only saw it... I think someone got pictures too :D

13. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

I had a great time at Hybridfest and think back at the funniest times I had seeing people pushing their vehicles at the starting line to pushing their vehicle to the finish line. I'm just not that dedicated myself and I almost hit a few people crossing the street driving to fast just before the finish line. In fact, I floored Debbie Kate's FEH at the starting line to get moving for a Key-Off FAS all the way down to the first stoplight. We all use our brains to get to the same place in a different manner.

It was a pleasure meeting all of you for me. Never thought I'd make it to Hybridfest, but thanks to Debbie Katz and Wayne, I made the trip from Florida. Linda, you are the best young lady for Hybridfest I've ever met.

Always friends of you and members of CleanMPG,

GaryG

14. DebbieKatz

DebbieKatz ФЕХ Царйца

OMG Gary, I remember those heart-stopping turns on the way down the hill at the beginning, but I'd forgotten all about that couple we narrowly avoided coming up the hill at the end :eek: :eek: :eek:

It was a *great* weekend - I had *so* much fun, & enjoyed meeting so many from here in person - I'm not even going to *try* to name you all :) 'Specially liked being FEH "Co-Owners of the Hour" - for *THREE* hours :):):) - with GaryG & Rich (Pravus Prime) :) :)