VW I.D. R Pikes Peak All-Electric Race Car!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 26, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Who wouldn’t want to drive this on a timed tranquil drive to the top of Pikes Peak at 14,110’ ASL? ;)

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 23, 2018

[​IMG]

VW Motorsport has now open track tested for the first time its I.D. R Pikes Peak in Alès, France. The supercar is being tested to compete at the Pikes Peak International Hill climb in Colorado Springs, CO, on June 24, seeking to beat the existing electric car record of 8:57.118 minutes in the annual “Race to the Clouds.”

The I.D. R Pikes Peak race car weighs less than 2,500 lbs and produces 680 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, giving it a 0-60 time of 2.25 seconds.

The top goal when developing the Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak was to find the ideal balance between energy capacity and weight. VW’s prototype for Pikes Peak the “R” for racing and the “I.D.”, the symbol of VW’s smart E-technology.

The I.D. R Pikes Peak designers opted for a two-motor drivetrain generating a system capacity of 680 hp. Li-Ion traction batteries are used as the energy storage system with high power density. Despite the extreme climb from start to finish, approximately 20 percent of the electric energy required is generated via regenerative braking during the run. When braking, the electric engines act as generators, converting some of the braking energy into electricity and feeding this into the battery.

VW’s I.D. R Pikes Peak program enters a crucial phase with the unveiling of the car in Alès. Testing on the actual 12.42-mile route of the Pikes Peak hill climb in Colorado Springs is limited, and only possible on certain sections so the bulk of the testing is not done on the actual route, but at racetracks. With the vehicle revealed to the world, testing has commenced!

World-class driver and defending Pikes Peak champion, Romain Dumas, will be at the wheel of the VW I.D. R Pikes Peak for the attempt to break the existing record for electric cars. The 39-year-old Frenchman has three victories at Pikes Peak and won the 24 Hours of Le Mans twice.

Between now and the race date, the all-electric prototype will undergo a program of testing initially in Europe and then in the USA.

On June 24th, the Race to the Clouds involves a 4,720 vertical-foot climb, 156 corners, and is accomplished with just a single attempt. Not only must the technology and driver be on top form as they attempt to set a record, but the external conditions must be perfect. It is not unheard of for finish-line temperatures at the 14,115-foot summit of Pikes Peak to be below freezing at the end of June.

Because of the low air density, drivers are required to wear oxygen masks during the Race to the Clouds.

NeilBlanchard and BillLin like this.
  2. xcel

VW I.D. R Pikes Peak Aero Design

In preps for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2018, the VW Motorsport team engineered the aerodynamics of the I.D. R Pikes Peak specifically to tackle the most famous hill climb in the world. The goal at the race, which takes place on June 24th in Colorado Springs, CO, is to break the record in the class for electric prototypes, which currently stands at 8:57.118 minutes.

VW I.D. R Pikes Peak

[​IMG]

François-Xavier Demaison, Technical Director at Volkswagen Motorsport and I.D. R Pikes Peak Project Manager:
    During the winding 12.4-mile drive to the summit of Pikes Peak, a top speed of around 155 mph is reached—relatively low for a prototype like the I.D. R, as it could theoretically go far faster.

“For this reason, we concentrated mainly on achieving optimal cornering speeds. The entire chassis is designed to generate as much downforce as possible, without causing too much aerodynamic drag,” adds Demaison.

Oversized Rear Wing on the I.D. R Pikes Peak

Willy Rampf, Technical Consultant:
    VW Motorsport used a half-scale model to test a host of different variants of the Pikes Peak racer in the wind tunnel. The final touches were then put to a full-size chassis on the rolling-road wind tunnel in the Porsche development center in Weissach.

New components were often produced in quick time on a 3D printer as the team printed about 2,000 parts. In doing so, they saved a lot of time.

With its two electric engines, which together generate 671 hp, the I.D. R avoids the cooling issues that face combustion-engined vehicles. This made it possible to reduce the size of the intakes in the chassis, which are traditionally aerodynamic drawbacks. However, the thin air at altitude has a negative effect on the efficiency of the cooling.

Simulation software provided by technology partner ANSYS is used to calculate the ideal compromise. Cooling Data from the wind tunnel was incomplete given the Pikes Peak’s thin so a simulation was a great help in determining the cooling system geometry.

The first test run on the original route is planned for the end of May. Driver Romain Dumas and the Volkswagen Motorsport team then begin the final phase of their preparations leading up to race day.

Wayne

3. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

Interesting that they taped all the gaps and seams on the car.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. xcel

Lightweight Design Defines Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak

Hi All:

As VW preps for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2018, the Motorsport team designed the I.D. R Pikes Peak to strike the optimal balance between performance and weight. VW’s first fully-electric race car will take on the most famous hill climb in the world on June 24th in Colorado Springs, CO, aiming to break the record in the class for electric prototypes, which currently stands at 8:57.118 minutes.

2018 VW I.D. R Pikes Peak Race Car

[​IMG]

Willy Rampf, Technical advisor to the project:

BillLin likes this.
  5. xcel

Hi All:

When VW motorsport unveiled its fully-electric supercar—the I.D. R Pikes Peak in France, they were seeking to beat the existing electric car record of 8:57.118 minutes in the annual “Race to the Clouds.”

On June 24th of last year, VW smashed it by almost a full minute and blowing out the 8-minute mark in the process with a new World Record setting time of 07 min and 57.048 in their I.D. R Pikes Peak. To place that time in perspective, VW became the first manufacturer in over 100 years of this iconic race to break the almost impossible eight minute barrier.

Next up is yet another record scheduled for the summer of 2019.

What is that? The lap record for electric cars on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife, the toughest racetrack in the world outside of Pikes Peak, Race to the Clouds.

The ID. R is the brands new All-Electric ambassador to an entire range of electric vehicles, which Volkswagen plans to launch from 2020. The ID. R is a declaration of Volkswagen’s commitment to electromobility and underline the huge potential power that e-drive can deliver on regular roads in the future.

The ID. R, which is being modified for the record attempt at the Nürburgring, is powered by two electric engines with a system capacity of 670 hp and weighs less than 2,500 pounds, including the driver.

The iconic German circuit has a very unique characteristic, not least thanks to the long Döttinger Höhe straight.

Romain Dumas will be at the wheel again for the record attempt. The Frenchman also has four victories in the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring to his name.

A comparatively narrow track—13 miles long, with no fewer than 75 corners, and regularly climbing or descending through the Eifel forests—the Nordschleife, which was opened in 1927, is one of a kind and continues to serve as an outstanding test environment for the automobile industry. Former Formula 1 world champion, Jackie Stewart, once respectfully called the circuit the “Green Hell.” Despite the iconic circuit being subjected to repeated modifications, it has not hosted Formula 1 since 1978. Nowadays, the Nordschleife—together with the modern Grand Prix Circuit—is primarily known as the venue for the famous 24-hour race. The FIA World Touring Car Cup (WTCR), a global touring car series, also visits the track in the Eifel Mountains. Volkswagen is represented in both series with the Golf GTI TCR.

Wayne

6. litesong

litesong litesong

In mid-June 1974 I was on the top of 14,250+ foot Mt.Evans in the Rocky Mountains. Looking east to the plains of Colorado, I could see a big storm system flowing toward the Rockies. Saying to myself, "I gotta get out of here!" Descending to Colorado Springs & Denver, the storm clouds crossed over me & pushed hard into the Rockies. The next day, weather reports said the Rockies got not quite a foot of snow.

7. xcel

Hi Litesong:

That was a hell of an experience!

And the story of VW's ID.R continues...

VW’s ID. R at Nürburgring

[​IMG]

VW has achieved another noteworthy milestone as the brands 670 hp all-electric ID.R race car lapped the infamous Nürburgring-Nordschleife in 6:05.336 minutes. This result was faster than any electric vehicle in history with an average speed of 128 mph and besting the previous all-electric record set in 2017 by an incredible 40.564 seconds!

Within 12-months, VW Motorsport has set three track records with the ID.R. On June 24, 2018, Romain Dumas achieved the best track record of any vehicle by climbing Pikes Peak in 7:57.148 minutes at the renowned Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (USA). Just three weeks later, he achieved a new best time for electric cars of 43.86 seconds at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in southern England. This new latest record makes it a perfect trifecta.

To prepare for the Nürburgring Nordschleife, VW modified the ID.R with higher speed aerodynamics, chassis setup, and track tires to achieve higher overall speeds rather than maximum downforce.

Wayne

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    BillLin and NeilBlanchard like this.
  8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

VW has not only shown they are serious about EVs, but also how good their engineers are, and how clean and elegant their designers are. This is a tour de force. Maybe they can tweak the battery, and take another run at the overall record, at Nürburgring-Nordschleife? The Pikes Peak run was the overall record, and it may be that EVs have such a big advantage there (with the thin air starving combustion engines), that they may not be able to take the overall record at the other tests, in such a short period of time.

9. xcel

Hi All:

Nürburg, Germany -- More detail was provided on the all-electric track record on the infamous Nürburging Nordschleife that was achieved with the ID.R. The fully-electric ID.R raced through the 12.9 mile “Green Hell” in a time of just 6:05.336 minutes and at an average speed of 127 mph on just 24.7 kWh of energy. This meant the ID.R was not only significantly faster than a GT3 sports car, but also consumed only a quarter of the energy over the course of one lap. Technology used successfully during the record attempts with the ID.R will be incorporated in production vehicles.

The VW ID.R at speed at Nürburging

[​IMG]

The VW ID.R set the fastest lap of the Nordschleife by an electric car. Analysis of the ID.R’s lap of the 12.9 mile circuit, revealed centripetal forces equating to as high as 3.49 G’s!

The ID.R hit top speed on its record-breaking lap in the “Fuchsröhre” section, a dip at the end of a longer downhill section. Here, the sensors recorded 169 mph.

The VW ID.Rs Drag Reduction System (DRS) was activated more than 20 times.

In order to make the most of the energy stored in the ID.Rs Li-Ion batteries, a manually-activated Drag Reduction System (DRS) that adjust an element of the rear wing to reduce drag as used. During the record-breaking lap, DRS was open for a total of 88.82 seconds or 24 percent of the driving time.

The ID.R generated 9.2 percent of the energy required for the record lap through brake energy regeneration.

To generate the energy required to charge the batteries, Volkswagen Motorsport turned to an innovative method: For all of the ID.R’s record attempts, an extremely conventional looking generator has produced the primary energy required by Volkswagen Motorsport. Its power unit does not run on diesel fuel, as is common, but on glycerin. This liquid – in chemical terms a sugar alcohol, obtained as a by-product of, for example, the production of bio-diesel – burns virtually without any harmful emissions or residues. Glycerin itself is non-toxic and is even approved as additive E422 in the food and cosmetics industries.

Wayne

BillLin and NeilBlanchard like this.
  10. xcel

VW ID. R Sets First Official Record at 99-Turn Tianmen Mountain Big Gate Road

Hi All:

Another beautiful run in a very unique automobile. :)

The all-electric VW ID. R has established a new record at the stunning Tianmen Mountain Big Gate Road, a 99-turn route that had never before been used as a performance car benchmark. Romain Dumas covers the 6.78-mile mountain course in 7 minutes, 38.585 seconds for the fifth major accomplishment in the ID. R electric race car.

Wayne