Week of November 27 to December 3 (Nat’l Avg $2.507)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind:D

The national average gas price has dropped again, down 3.5¢ since last week to $2.507 - this time last year it was $2.126 so it's 17.9% (+38.1¢) dearer.
    Diesel is almost unchanged at $2.838 (+0.2¢). It's now 19.0% (+45.4¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is an increasing 13.2% premium to regular.
    E85's average price is down from $2.102 $2.063 - a year ago it was $1.803.

No commute for me this week until Friday - car sharing :D

BillLin likes this.
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm back at work!

50.8 mpg / 11.5 mi to school and work. 41F and humid

Tank is at 53.6 / 445 mi.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  3. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Northwest Oregon Coast, Costco in Warrenton, Oregon: $2.699 / gal (87 octane reg.). Diesel at nearby Fred Meyer , $2.979 / gal. Current MPG's, winter temps and conditions, on our 2010 Prius, 47 mpg (calculated), our 2016 Volt nearly the same at 47 mpg when running on just the gas engine, 87 octane as well. The Volt does not take nearly the hit in mpg's on gas as the Prius does in the winter.

Gord, puddleglum and BillLin like this.
  4. PaleMelanesian

Lunch hour trip to the feed store. Took OFF my coat when I walked out the door. Why is it so cold inside?!!

50.1 / 4.9 - feed store, +250 lb
    56.6 / 3.2 - other store, +50 dog food (they don't like the $$ feed store stuff)
    44.0 / 2.1 - back to work

Tank steady at 53.6 / 455 mi.
    F____|_/__E

5. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

Much warmer the last few days. 42.7 - 4 miles, 26*F to work. 62.5 - 4.6 miles, 34*F home. Put the battery on the charger though when I got home. Headlights and EOC suck it down.

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 49.5 deg F , NICE tail wind SW16. 34.9 miles (?) , 66.22 MPG. To help this tank , I took the scenic route home last night , temps in the 50s. 33.9 miles , 70.87 MPG.

Tank is now at 384.6 miles , 63.98 MPG.

7. PaleMelanesian

It certainly is battery charger season.

47.2 / 3.7 - to a school event
    53.7 / 7.1 - home with kids in the back

51.2 / 11.5 - school and work this morning

Tank is down 0.2 to 53.4 / 478.
    F____|__/__E

8. puddleglum

Another warm day. 48 - 4 miles, 25*F to work this morning. 61.5 - 4.6 miles, 37*F home.

Tank is showing 42.3 - 310 miles. F_____I/____E

BillLin likes this.
  9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 31.5 deg F , wind N5 (headwind). 35.0 miles , 60.82 MPG. Tank is at 453.6 miles , 63.61 MPG.
    It was 60 deg F on the way home last night ! But it was the (mostly) highway route , so barely 60 MPG.
    Today , scenic route home. :)

10. PaleMelanesian

52.5 / 5.3 - home last night
    50.7 / 11.5 - school and work this morning, catching I think all of the red lights. (25 lights and/or stops on my route)

Tank is strangely the same at 53.4 / 495 mi.
    F____|__/__E

11. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

What are the odds, eh?... :(

Gord likes this.
  12. puddleglum

That's frustrating, and if you miss one it seems like you miss the next several. If anything like here, you can't make the lights if you drive the speed limit.

44.4 - 4 miles this morning. Traffic wasn't doing me any favors today either.
    60.3 - 4.6 miles home.

Gord, PaleMelanesian and BillLin like this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 43.5 d eg F , wind WSW10. I've had a nice tailwind going into work for the last few days. Which makes me wonder........... If I have a choice of routes , and I know I will be driving INTO the wind , which will be more efficient , the highway route (steady-speed/DWL) or the non-highway route ( with usual P&G delta's but shorter glides) ? Today , 35.0 miles , 65.75 MPG. Tank is at 522.4 miles , 64.26 MPG.

14. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Good question, Edwin... I'd personally still favor the non-highway route, but not sure. And then there's stops/starts on non-highway routes usually. Your car still pulses and glides on its own at highway speeds, right, or are you above the ~62 MPH threshold? Even then, above 62, the engine will just spin as needed instead of shutting down. That's why it's hard for me to say. For example, on a long slight downhill where you can go say, 62 MPH, and the engine will shut off but needs a little boost from the battery. Is that better or go one or two MPH higher and let the engine spin as needed? I'm thinking about the need to make up the battery charge if used... Thanks.

Gord and puddleglum like this.
  15. PaleMelanesian

I don't know how to play with wind and hybrid systems, but... in my car I'd take whatever option gives me the lower average airspeed. Aerodynamic drag seems to be the biggest resistance by far.

54.1 / 5.3 - home last night
    49.6 / 4.1 - round trip to pick up a kid from youth group
    52.3 / 11.4 - school and work this morning, better luck with the lights

Tank is down to 53.3 / 515 mi.
    F____|__/__E

16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Your opinion carries a lot of weight, Andrew. It's just a bit frustrating when a glide is shorter than you want it to be , lol. I will take the scenic route.

I just pulse and glide , like you do. Except not so skillfully , I'm sure. I haven't owned a manual car since 2008 , and I'm spoiled by one-pedal driving. And sometimes I use the brake pedal , too.

17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today 27.5 deg F wind S1. 35.0 miles , 59.8 MPG. Tank is at 30.6 miles , 63.24 MPG. Filled up today with the finest 87 E10 $2.339 can buy. 568.3 miles , 8.954 gallons , 63.47 MPG. Fcd = 68.9.
    We did have some warmer-than-normal days.

18. PaleMelanesian

Temps here are consistent 60's day and 40's night.

50.9 / 5.2 - home last night
    51.5 / 5.4 - out to music practice. Changed it up and did some bluegrass style. Fun.
    58.7 / 5.4 - home

51.4 / 11.4 - school and work this morning, foggy.

Tank is steady at 53.3 / 543 mi.
    F____|__/__E

BillLin, Gord and puddleglum like this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 35 deg F , wind S5(tailwind). 16.2 miles , no highway , 72.91 MPG. Tank is at 76.3 miles , 63.33 MPG.

I don't have much driving lined up for this weekend ,and that makes me happy. Just going to downtown Aurora

( about 4 miles from home) to see a musical , then home again. No driving at all Sunday , riding the Giant to Metal Monkey.

puddleglum, BillLin and Gord like this.
  20. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

First drive of the week yesterday, on my own, car pooler having a small operation. After last night's snow a frosty 35°F, 11mph cross/headwind NNW:
    46.2 / 21.5

Going home at lunchtime, unusual amount of traffic of first part, 45°F, 12mph crosswind N:
    44.5 / 21.3

Tank up 0.6 at 44.1 (FCD 46.5) / 145.9 / Range 485 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG up 0.9 at 47.1 / DTE 491

Lost first pip @ 128 miles

puddleglum and BillLin like this.