Hybridfest made the "Front-Page" of the Capital Times, Madison's Daily Newspaper

Discussion in 'Events and Gatherings' started by tigerhonaker, Apr 15, 2006.

1. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Hey! Hybridfest made the "Front-Page" of the Capital Times,
    Madison's afternoon Daily Newspaper:

Click on Link below for the Complete Article:

http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=80180&ntpid=3

This {Thread} is actually information provided to me by Ericbecky.
    So how about a "Big-Hand" for him and all his time & effort he has
    put forth for all of us to enjoy (Hybridfest) in July.

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Makes me blush, as the D/FW area has five million residents and has yet to have anything like this.

I'd like to know how they promoted it. Getting the word out on forums is one things, but that was probably the beginning....

3. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Delta Flyer;

I bet ericbecky could enlighten us on how many very long hours he has spent promoting "Hybridfest" and all the different ways to get the "Word-Out". :)

Okey, Eric, how about spilling the Beans??

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

As you correctly noted, it does take effort. We are fortunate that this seems to be the right time to do kind of event and everyone has been very receptive to the idea of Hybridfest.

We are also lucky to have some excellent people on the planning team.

Did you ever have people who volunteer to help, but then never even show up to the planning meetings? Well that is NOT what this team is like. And remember they are all volunteers. No one is getting paid to do this.

I've also been amazed by the talents of our team members. Have you seen the Hybridfest web site ? That was all done by one person, Bill Robbins. The logo? Again, designed by a team member, Linda Weidemann. And Brad, Richard and Justin all bring talents that have made planning it a lot easier.

You'd be suprised how much it costs to put on event this large. And every one of the people on the planning team were ready to take the risk to make this happen because they really believed in it. I'm still hoping we come out in the black or else my wife, and other team members will kill me! (Depends on who finds me first!)

Another factor is all about having a positive attiude and not being afraid to ask people for something. Anyone can contribute to making Hybridfest a success whether they realize it or not: Sponsorship, spreading the word, posting a flyer, a donation, a referral, or simply a little time (such as an hours worth of volunteering at Hybridfest).

Before jumping into planning a "SouthWest Hybridfest, you would want to make sure you have a core group of people to help you plan it. You'll also need connections. Often this has been a case of getting to know the right people.

As a first step I believe you could easily start the Dallas Hybrid Group. The desire for people to get together and connect is there. If you are ever serious about it we should talk offline sometime, I'd be glad to help.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Eric:

___I cannot thank you enough for your efforts in promoting this event but one item that the Madison/Milwaukee, WI. area has over and above the Dallas/Ft. Worth is a high % of hybrid interest and ownership per capita. I could see a Hybridfest like production working in the San Francisco and maybe even Washington DC area but I believe Wisconsin residents in the Madison/Milwaukee corridor are not only more down to earth then most of the rest of the country but are just as technological savvy. Hybridfest appears to be a natural extension of much of Wisconsin’s core values and this is coming from a FIB’s perspective ;)

___Those not residing in the upper Midwest states of IN., IL., WI., or MN may not understand what I am saying above but living on the WI. border for all of my natural life, there is something to be said about a Wisconsin residents viewpoint on many issues that you and even I see in a different light.

___Eric, I can only hope Hybridfest turns out to be the best Hybrid gathering and educational experience in the country and I wish it every success.

___Good Luck

___Wayne