The air quality has changed dramatically over the years

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ALS, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember my mom telling me stories of how she would go to work at Mercy Hospital and by the end of her shift her white Nurses uniform and petticoat were a dark grey from the air pollution in the city. This was back in 1947-48.

The dailymail out of London has a story on Pittsburgh and the air pollution problems of the forties and fifties before environmental laws were enacted.

'Hell with the lid taken off': The pictures of bygone Pittsburgh and its residents choking under clouds of thick smog
    • The pea-souper problem was once so bad that clouds of smoke and pollution would block out the midday sun
    • Photographs from the 1950s show just how badly the U.S. city suffered before laws on coal burning were introduced.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Pittsburgh-residents-choking-clouds-smog.html

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Sometimes there is a haze in my neighborhood. It's from a couple of wood burners. They're saving money or being "green" (carbon neutral?) but polluting the air like crazy. I wish they would get high efficiency wood stoves or pellet stoves. Maybe we need to start requiring catalytic converters on everything!?

Edit: Are there still coal burning power plants around? No doubt they're buying carbon offsets from someone. And it's mostly the downstream people that suffer.

xcel likes this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Yes, there are still coal power plants around. Three within 20 miles of here, one of them the dirtiest in the country. :mad:

On the flip side, I saw SO many thousands of wind turbines out in west Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma last week on vacation. Tens of thousands of them. :)

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

We burns lots of coal around here. Some genius decided it's "cleaner" than safe nuclear power.

BillLin likes this.
  5. NaturalNaturer

NaturalNaturer Active Member

Apparently, yes coal is a bit cleaner but it still bring out impurities around and contributes to air pollution. Still, we have to limit or do something about it before it becomes too much of a problem to our environment.

xcel likes this.
  6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Well-Known Member

It probably been over 85°f very day since June , very unusual, years ago there was always smog alerts
    Ontario stop burn coal 2 years ago , but this years there as not been one
    Drove into Toronto yesterday , before they was a noticeable brown hazy of the city , but not anymore