News Years Resolution

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by ALS, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

As I was responding to a question on weight reduction for better mileage on another automotive board it hit me.

One of the previous posters on the thread had posted the comment "Hit the Gym and lose some weight"

Well yes that applied to me this year, with a loss of 100 lbs since May and I still have 35-40 to go.

It should also apply to our cars. Since most of us are off work today it may be a good idea to walk down to the garage or out parking lot and go through your vehicle or vehicles and pull out all the unnecessary stuff you're been collecting and hauling around. Example do you really need that full gallon of windshield washer fluid in your trunk? You taking a road trip or is it only their for convenience? That bottle weighs seven plus pounds.

I'm betting most of you are carting around an extra 20-25lbs of stuff you really don't need in your cars and trucks.

It is also winter and getting colder, don't forget about checking those tire pressures.

So check those glove boxes, consoles, back seat and the floor, trunk, hatch area, under the floor of your trunk, hatch area and clean the weight out.

JonNC and xcel like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

100 lbs ! Congratulations , sir ! I imagine you are feeling a lot healthier these days.

xcel likes this.
  3. I'm carrying a full size spare and jack in the back of the volt. Added weight and takes up a lot of space. Thinking about ditching it for the day to day commute and just throw it in for any trips

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That's what I would do James. I'm not totally sure that my car even has a spare. But in a local emergency ( flat tire ) situation , I have an auto club to take care of it. I'm not lazy , I swear ! But changing a tire at the side of the highway in a Chicago winter is not a lot of fun. It's when you're 50 miles or more away from home that a spare ( maybe even a full-size tire ) is a good idea.

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

My car doesn't even come with a spare...just a 12V compressor with that messy liquid goo sealant stuff that only works on very minor punctures. I've considered carrying one of my off-season wheels as a spare but it would take up a lot of space in my small-ish trunk. I'll probably follow-through on that after serious tire damage strands me for 4-6 hours but for now I'll join you in a noble cause. Plus I have an innate hatred of extra junk sitting in my car that doesn't absolutely belong there. (Current contents other than what was delivered with the car: sunglasses, umbrella, work ID badge, microfiber towel to keep the windshield clean, USB cable, registration, insurance card, tire pressure gauge, and the lug bolt adapter for my winter wheels.)

Also, I'll add to the congratulations on the weight loss! I'll bet you feel fantastic.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Nicely done Al. Don't forget to keep focus on the rails and not just the light at the end of the tunnel. ;)

Sweep the floor of the car and get rid of some dirt and it'll save a bit of weight.

I don't have any New Year's resolutions. But I do resolve to add some air to our tires tomorrow. I'm sure the Prius needs it, and the Volt has also dropped to 38/39 PSI as winter has hit. Monday's going to be cold, so the Volt _really_ will need more pressure in the tires.

(I've dropped 30.3lb since July 6th. No gym, just eating my basic diet, with a little portion control, and no extras. I have another 9lb to go to hit my 200lb goal. That's still overweight, but I targeted that number since (a) that was about the most I ever weighed in the UK (b) In the UK I didn't have a car, and I walked as part of commuting by public transportation (c) My regular meals are a bit more calorie dense (and much tastier, thanks to my wife's cooking) here. I'm also getting a bit of exercise at the moment as I'm trying to grade my earth basement. Hoping to hit target by the end of February, but we'll see.)

7. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

It does have one, I believe, but some trim versions of the next generation Prius don't.

I leave my spare out except on long winter trips, and substitute patch kit and tire pump. In 600K+ miles and nearly 34 years in my Mazda, I got in trouble only once by not carrying the spare. I also removed the jack handle (for which a screwdriver can substitute adequately), towing hook, the lug wrench (for which the spark-plug socket of my 3/8" socket set can substitute), a couple of shipping tie-down loops, the cargo cover, wheel covers, and the rear head restraints when not carrying passengers. I replaced the original 28-pound 12-V battery with a 21-pound one of nearly the same capacity. All that, to eliminate half as much excess mass as ALS has.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016