How manufacturer FE stats have been manipulated

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by smart-za, Nov 11, 2014.

1. smart-za

smart-za Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I thought this report was interesting. It's called "Mind the Gap! Why official car fuel economy figures don’t match up to reality", and it investigates the methods manufacturers use to boost their cars' performance on the European fuel economy tests (NEDC).

http://www.transportenvironment.org...ons/Real World Fuel Consumption v15_final.pdf

Some of the methods are classic hypermiling (reduce weight, reduce drag, pump up tyres, switch off accessory loads).

But some seem like blatant cheating to me (use a road that slopes slightly downhill, reprogram the ECU, disconnect the alternator).

It's easy to see why people might not trust official figures if they can be manipulated to this extent.

-Simon

2. timw4mail

timw4mail Well-Known Member

That explains why European efficiency figures are so much larger than American EPA figures (other than the slightly larger gallon). Who new the EPA actually had a better testing system?!

3. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

Of course, there can and will be inaccuracies in calculating average MPG, but I'm convinced that some auto makers just plain LIE in order to sell more cars.

I drive a 2013 Kia Soul, and it was brought to Kia's attention that the MPG on the window sticker did not match what people were seeing on the road.
    Kia went back and recalculated their posted MPG, and agreed that they were in error, so....
    Unlike other car makers, they admitted they were wrong and set up a Mileage Rebate Program, which is open ended, for as long as a person owns one of the affected cars.

So far, I've received several hundred dollars of rebates which have sure come in handy, when buying new tires, etc.
    I put in for my rebate check every six months and the dollars I get depends solely on how many miles I've driven since the last rebate.

I'd love to see other car makers either rethink their posted MPG or come up with a rebate program. Maybe a few more 'Class Action Lawsuits' would get the auto makers to be more honest in their mileage claims. Eh?

Cheers Mates and Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor :cool: