AAA: Stop-start engines save gas, cut emissions

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by JohnM, Jul 24, 2014.

1. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

Automatic stop-start systems in automobiles provide a 5% to 7% improvement in fuel economy and a similar reduction in carbon-dioxide emissions, according to new research from auto club AAA.

Based on AAA's research, which was conducted with the Auto Club of Southern California's Automotive Research Center, motorists could save up to $179 in annual fuel costs. That's based on driving 15,000 miles a year in a vehicle that averages 20 miles per gallon with fuel prices at $3.65 a gallon.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/07/23/stop-start-engines-fuel-savings-aaa/13053447/

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Golly, if the Triple-A says so , it must be true. YMMV.

3. RoadWarrior222

RoadWarrior222 rockit serjun

Ahhh and they worked it out all by their little selves.

4. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

The improvement can't be less than 5% or more than 7%, no matter what fraction of your trip time is spent with engine idling at stops? That's stupid.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Quite stoopid. Stop-start is a good thing , providing the driver has some amount of control over how and when it works. I'm not sure if any cars with this feature at this time would make me happy.

6. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

These were the same jokers giving Wayne a hard time about his driving style. But now if the car shuts off the engine and turns it back on, that is ok. Just not if you do it manually :rolleyes:

RIGHT!?!?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Good one , Jason ! The AAA knows that we are all too stupid to know how to turn our engines off and on again when needed.

Darwin was WRONG.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

A car designed to automatically stop/start has got to have a leg up on DIY stop/start. A regular car was not designed for such frequent use of the battery and starter, could be overtaxed. I hope this catches on; it's a relatively low tech and cost improvement.

9. RoadWarrior222

RoadWarrior222 rockit serjun

True though, I've been wondering these last few years why BAS systems could not be applied to every new vehicle.