how to check vehicle mpg & octane requirements

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Motorpsycho Jim, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Motorpsycho Jim

Motorpsycho Jim smoke drink screw ride

how to check your vehicle's gas mileage and octane requirements ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jim:

There are no mpg requirements. There is an octane recommendation that should be clearly listed in both the manual and around the gas cap.

IHTHs and welcome to CleanMPG.

Wayne

3. Motorpsycho Jim

Motorpsycho Jim smoke drink screw ride

yeah, my manual calls for "87 octane or higher". IOW's, regular automotive grade fuel, which is 87, 89, 91-94 R+M/2 octane. so the question is, which octane is best for my motorcycle.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jim:

87. Unless you can find non-ethanol laced 87 - 89 for the same price or up to 3% more.

Wayne

5. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

If your engine is stock, and you are not seeing exceptional operating circumstances (e.g., air temps), then 87 octane is generally best all-around for the health of the engine and your wallet.

If you have higher compression, advanced ignition timing, higher boost, etc., then higher-octane than stock may be required. If you run your bike through Death Valley in the summer (i.e., very high air temps), you may need higher than 87 octane.

If your bike pings during regular use, you either need higher octane fuel, or you need to find what is wrong with the engine and fix it. (Probably the latter.)

If you personally feel better or safer running higher-octane fuel in your bike than is required, then that is likely the best fuel for you to run.

-soD