First fill with SGII

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by EspElement, Feb 7, 2014.

1. EspElement

EspElement Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was a little bummed out when I did my first actual fillup with my SGII and it was off by about 13%. It has dashed some of my previous numbers. Just to note this is what I did.

Same station, same angle, however the pump I used previously was taken. I used the pump just after it. I also filled with 89 instead of 87 as recommended with the KS removal and possible FE gains.

I can't wait to fill again and hope it drops back down. I am getting around 32 MPG with my 1999 ZX2 ATX where previously I was getting 37 MPG. I have done the IAT resistor mod, ATX resistor mod and KS removal.

What was your guys first experiences with filling up?

Cheers
    J

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

It may take a few tanks to get the SG calibrated correctly ; after that , it will be pretty accurate and consistent. Keep in mind that pump auto-shutoff points can vary a lot , so if you let it shut off automatically (like me) you can't expect the same "fill" every time. Using the same pump at the same station helps, though.

Enjoy and use that Scangauge !

3. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

It'll take a tank or two to get the fillup calibration set. 13% is close though! Mine is around the low 14 range. once you get close and it only changes less than 1% then I suggest keep it set there. Also i'd suggest using same fillup procedure each time. wether you stop when it first clicks or you top it off a click or two then do that each time to refuel.

4. EspElement

yea just 13% in wrong direction. Meehhhh

I get to fill up again soon so we will see!

5. Unleaded

Unleaded Well-Known Member

Only thirteen percent? Shoot, my offset is 21.2% :eek:

6. EspElement

Uh oh..... How dissapointed were you all when you got hit 21%? Lol. Now I'm gonna fight with tricks and modes to get back to where I was. Lol. Days of logging a 40mpg home is over. Looking into grille blocks and pans on the tires next.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I tried entering fill up data, when I first got my ScanGauge, got muddled, gave up.

Without intervention the ScanGauge will tell me both the mpg since I last started up, and the instant mpg. Those two values are enough for me.

For calculation of tank to tank mpg I prefer just recording the car's odometer readings and gas receipts anyway, seems more bullet proof.

8. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

And without calibrating your ScanGuage, those figures for instant and mpg since start up are not accurate.

Calibration fine tunes those figures. As above posters attest, their vehicles were off
    13 to 21 %. Yours could be off that much or more.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

That's been in the back of my mind. For the multiple years since I bought the thing, lol. Maybe I should go through the calibration process then. There's still benefit in the mpg readings, even if they're out by some factor, but yeah.