“It's A Wonderful Life” with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed on Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xcel, Dec 25, 2013.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

To celebrate the birth of a newborn that would change the world…

I watched “It's A Wonderful Life” with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. A great movie and an excellent story for all to heed.

It's A Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve

[​IMG]
    George and Mary in the beginning.

[​IMG]
    George and Mary in the end.​

I hope you have seen it and if you have not, then do!

Wayne

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I watched it tonight too. I always do on Christmas Eve.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

We watched it Friday on NBC with approx. 4 minutes of commercials for every 8 minutes of movie ! What was I thinking ? But it's a good movie and one I should probably own on DVD.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Edwin:

I highly recommend it on DVD. Commercials would ruin the flow.

Wayne

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Absolutely. We rarely choose to watch any television that has commercials.

6. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

That is the feature of French Television I like. A program comes on at 8:00 they show commercials from 7:50 to 8:00. No commercials until 8:30, commercials run for five minutes then the show runs until 8:50. Still get 45 minutes of programing but they don't cut out every ten minutes for commercials. Plus the commercials aren't geared for the morons of society and in most cases much better produced than what we see here in the U.S.. The upside of the extra input by the companies for content at least makes them more interesting to watch.

When I was watching TF1 (French Network) over the last few over the months they were running at times in that ten minute window before the top of the hour two and three minute short comedies to kill time. Only reason I was watching TF1 network was my favorite pop star was on their version of Dancing with the Stars. She won enough said.

It's a Wonderful Life is a great movie and a real classic for any age. :)

The bad news is no one in Hollyweird has any new ideas and there is a major uproar over the future plans to remake a sequel to It's a wonderful life.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  7. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Uproar? Remember when Ted Turner colorized it? There was a HUGE uproar after that. You used to see colorized versions of It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street, but now its almost always the original B&W versions. I do wish that they would be remastered from the original films. They were originally shot in widescreen film format, but it seems that the only versions that have been aired are the old video masters in 480i 4:3 Standard Definition.

8. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

It's a Wonderful Life and other classics of the 1930s and 1940s were not widescreen films. They're shot in "academy ratio" - 1.37:1, and the original television screens used the same ratio because people were used to movie images in that shape. The wider screens - dozens of formats and technologies - were born in the 1950s as the movie industry answer to the invasion of television. The screens kept growing wider until they reached the three camera / three projector Cinerama kludge before retreating to a mix of 2.20:1 VistaVision and 2.35:1 Panavision.

There would be little point in going beyond 480p/24 on these old films because the grain on the old negatives would make the image look noisy and harsh. Spend too much time in post-production to soften them and you end up with something close to what we see now, but with unwanted artifacts.

It's still fun to watch, even when you can recite the script in real time. One of the more fun subliminal elements of Wonderful Life occurs after Clarence jumps in to save George. Afterward, as he is telling George what he did and why, there is a clothesline that has a rather clumsy placement - between the camera and actors. At face value, it would appear to have been an obvious mistake when composing the shot. But what it does is divide "heaven" from "earth" - Clarence above the line and George below - during several minutes of dialog. After George gets his wish, the camera angle changes and both are above the line. Soon the angle again changes, and the line no longer appears in frame. A very simple and effective way to enhance the story line by hiding it in plain sight.

9. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

I wasn't aware that they weren't originally widescreen. I guess the films were made right before widescreen became popular. As a fan of 1950's sci-fi films, I was used to watching wide screen. I didn't know that it was a new technology at the time.

10. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

We watched it at the local theater, this year, part of a classic movie series on Sundays and Wednesdays. :D