Strange SG Behavior

Discussion in 'ScanGauge' started by goldie, Dec 12, 2013.

1. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

I filled up last night and when I went to adjust my SG I found a problem that I could use some assistance with resolving. The tank miles driven info read 1683 miles. I was unable to find a way to re-set it. After fill up, in order to adjust it to show the fuel pumped (22.07 gallons), I ended up with a -45.9% offset. I re-checked all my settings (engine size, tank size, etc.) and they were fine. While driving I noticed that my instant mpg read out was approximately double of what I am used to seeing for the normal driving conditions I encounter. The trip mpg's were higher than normal as well.
    Since I depend on my SG I don't think I forgot to re-set the numbers at last fill up. The only other possibilities I can think of are one, the SG needs repair. Or two, it has been affected by the extremely cold weather we are we experiencing here in NW Indiana.
    Any assistance member can provide will be welcome.

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I'm trying to understand this. Did you actually drive 1683 miles , or was that 4 or 5 tanks put together ? Something's wacky. I've had funny glitches with my Scangauge from time to time , like when I was on the way home on a 125 mile trip and the instant MPG stuck at 9999. That was in the summer , so cold weather certainly didn't cause my glitch.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Goldie:

Sounds like you did not do a refill form the previous tank or two. Rest the fuel amount back to 0.0% and begin from a non-calibrated SG-II. On your next fill up, insert what it says has been consumed. On the following tank fill, you will have it again re-calibrated.

If you insert 12 gallons when you have consumed 24 to travel 1,600 + miles (just throwing numbers out there), your SG-II will report double the FE you are actually receiving. That fill calibration is the basis for all fuel economy readouts after you ahve inserted the amount.

IHTHs?

Wayne

4. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the assistance! The miles I posted was the "Tank to Empty" reading. I'll let you know how things turn out.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Goldie:

Cool.

Reset to 0.0%, fill, and on that next fill, you have a basic calibration. The more fills later, the better the calibration. Expect a few outliers here and there depending on where and how you fill your car.

Wayne

6. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

I have reset the SG to 0% this morning. As an after thought, I checked my gas log and it seems I've reset the gallons and, therefore the % offset, every time I have filled up. And I always try fill up at the same pump. I'm at a loss to explain why this has happened. But at least now I'm on the correct path to solving the problem. Since I normally only tank up about once a month it could be awhile before things settle down. I'll still pop in and let you know how it's going. Sure do miss having a correctly working SG, it has been a tremendous help for me. I even made a 27 mpg tank once this past summer. Not bad for a 1/2 ton P/Y!