52.3 MPG in my 2006 Civic

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Patman, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Patman

Patman Member

I just picked up this 2006 Civic EX coupe a month ago, and at the same time I also got an SG2 in order to help track my gas mileage and find ways to improve it. This morning I decided to get up early and head out at 6am for a fuel economy run at a time when the highway would be relatively clear since my plan entailed driving at only 50 mph for the entire trip. The entire trip was a little over 60 miles in length, and the engine was stone cold at the start. I also didn't think to put even more air in the tires, they were only around 32 psi cold this morning too! Another newbie mistake was that I used the cruise control instead of my own foot, even though I should have known better as I already knew that Honda's cruise control uses very aggressive throttle inputs to try to maintain the set speed. But even with all of those things against me, I still managed to knock down 52.3 MPG!! Pretty amazing when you consider the EPA highway rating on the 06 Civic is only around 34 MPG! In the four fill ups I've done since getting the car I've never gotten less than 35.8 though, even in mixed driving with stop and go traffic. My last tank average was 39.9! This Civic is an automatic, which is better for highway MPG since it's only turning 2000 rpm at 60mph (I believe the manual cars run around 2500 rpm at 60)

I'm sure you'll be seeing more posts from me in the future, my goal is to achieve over 60 MPG in this car on a highway run. I need to find a route that doesn't have so many grade changes, as my route this morning had quite a few of them.

One thing that did tick me off, and I'm sure others on here have run into this, was at one point I had a guy tailgating me and flashing his lights at me, even though the section of highway I was on at the time had 5 lanes to choose from! I was not in the "fast lane" either, but in the second lane from the right. (I would have been in the far right lane but I had to start moving over to the left for my exit)

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Great work , Patman ! The best I've done (so far) in my Civic is 49 MPG, but that was before I aired up. Also , I don't believe it was really broken in then. I just got my Scangauge yesterday and I can't wait to try it !

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Great job Patman! Keep up the good work. Do I hear 60mpg? :)

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Definitely try for 60 -- I'll bet it comes quicker than you expect it might. ;)

5. Patman

Patman Member

I made another fuel economy run last week, a trip of 70 miles and managed to get 53.3 MPG this time. I started out the run with the engine stone cold once again though, so it would have been slightly better if not for that. At this point I think 60 MPG is only going to happen if I am driving on a route out of this area, as there seems to be too many grade changes on all of the major highways in my immediate area.

6. FXSTi

FXSTi Well-Known Member

Patman,
    What changes (if any) did you make? Was that still on cruise and 32 psi?

Kirk

7. Patman

Patman Member

This time the tire pressures were higher (39 psi cold) and I didn't use the cruise control. I took a different route though, so it's hard to say if I would have gotten better MPG on the route I tried the first time. (although a good portion of both routes were on the same highways)

8. phlack

phlack Well-Known Member

I think the best tank I've had in my '06 Civic Sedan was 44mpg. And I'm not sure how I attained that. But you're definitely right about the cruise control...it's definitely aggressive. Still puts out decent average numbers, though. Keeping a steady foot for 50 or so miles, although ideal, gives me foot cramps!

-Mike

9. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

My little 2009 SX4, iAWD, does pretty good at 50mph, a little better at 55mph but around here, unless you're in your driveway, those speeds will get you some angry tailgaters and all sorts of hand, horn and light signals.:D

Out on the BIG ROAD, Interstate 75, 80mph is the average speed for all six lanes.
    Try driving at 50mph, in any lane and some FHP tropper will probably pull you over and ask you "What's wrong?".
    I was just cruising along at about 80mph a few days ago and this trooper came up on me so fast I was taken aback. I pulled over for him and he blew by me like a rocket. He had to be going over 90mph. No lights, no siren, no nothing to signify he was on a call.
    He must have been late for the Donut Shop.:rolleyes:

My point, it's hard to drive for economy around here, since it's like being on a Nascar race track on most roads.
    The best I can do, is get behind a semi who is driving (probably with a governor) at about 62 to 65mph. There, I can do over 40mph.

But when you're cruising easy at 62 and other traffic, including the little old white haired lady in the VW, is blowing by you at 80+, it can eventually get demoralizing.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor :cool:

10. Right Lane Cruiser

LOL -- even people on offramps pass me. ;)

11. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

I've driven I-75 quite a few times from I-10 all the way down to Tampa, and I-275 from Tampa to St. Pete, doing 60 or 65-50 P&G cycles (less where PSL is lower, always at least the posted minimum speed). It can be nerve-wracking, but you just signal with 4-ways while someone approaches from behind, stay in the right line hugging the line, and all is well. Just be attentive for the moron that isn't! ;)

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Old Dude, New Car

I drive I-75 almost every day of the week, at least a ten mile stretch.
    It's six lane and on a good day, even most of the Big Rigs are doing 80+.

My speedometer might be a little off, but my SG2 agrees within 2mph.

It's OK though. Some years back I-80 going across Iowa was rated the fastest Interstate highway in the country. I've driven it and I can only say, "It's FAST!".

I'm actually amazed at how fast I-75 is, here in Central FL, since it's also heavily patrolled by the FHP. Further north, or further south, where it slims down to just four lanes, it's not so fast. It's still a fun ride.

:cool:

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Ok, just have to ask: is there an actual reason for these trips? In other words: did you need to get somewhere, pick something up, something like this? Or is the sole object just to see how efficiently you can burn gas, LOL.

Anyway, 53.3 mpg (which translates to 4.4 liters per 100 km for us northerners) is very commendable for a non-hybrid Civic.

Is this what the ScanGauge is telling you? I'd verify by doing a calc. I think SG is fairly accurate though.

15. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Sometimes on off-ramps for me, but NEVER on on-ramps. I do a nice steady acceleration from whatever speed I am running on the surface street, up to the 50 MPH I run on the freeway. I'm usually there before I get halfway through the ramp, and then I just maintain 50 and merge onto the freeway.

I may be a reformed FSP, but I still has to drive Way Too Fast (tm) in the corners!!

-soD

16. Right Lane Cruiser

I should clarify — I meant that the people taking offramps will actually go down them faster than I'm driving on the highway next to the offramp.

As for taking corners "Way Too Fast"… is there such a thing?? :D

17. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

that depends on who or what is in the seat next to you! I know that i need to do 23 mph when i'm hitting my turn to go down my street and i can coast all the way to my driveway at the end. if i'm doing 22 possibly but anything less and i have my door cracked and have had to push a lil up my driveway :p

18. F8L

F8L Well-Known Member

I ame very impressed with the older Civics. I took my girlfriend's daughters 2001 Civic LX auto on a quick highway trip to test her mpg with my scangauge.

The results:

60mph = 47mpg
    65mph = 42mpg
    80mph = 35mpg

These are instantaneous numbers and not averages over a tank full but I wash careful to measure on both sides of the highway to eliminate elevation and surface differences and I kept the pedal steady to rule out high and low number anomaly.

19. EvlMinion

EvlMinion Active Member

I-24 between here (Nashville) and Murfreesboro is pretty fast, too. I've reined in my driving now; the first several months I had the RSX I was driving like a hooligan and would have to do 85 some days to keep up with the people in the left lane. Much slower than 80 and I felt like I was going to get run over. The car was whirring along at over 4000 rpm, if memory serves.

Took the same trip the other day in my mom's 335i and kept it around 60-65. Managed 32 mpg, start to finish. 10% better than keeping it in the flow of traffic. :)