161's rides

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by 161horsepower, Feb 25, 2007.

1. 161horsepower

161horsepower New Member

Hi All!

Being a product of the Jimmy Carter era and 80's fuel-saving practices, I've been pretty careful the way I drive all along. I used to watch fuel economy on my old 78 Buick back in the day. But I'm also a big fan of speed and a few years back I drove a 74 Monte Carlo with all the race trimmings that I'd fuel up with 100 LL out on the airport tarmac when that was still legal. Yes, the plugs fouled up quick! I reduced drag on my airplanes (I owned a flight school and am an instructor) by keeping them clean and waxed and would even put cooking spray on the leading edges of the airfoils. Hey, it reduces drag and as an added bonus, bugs come off a lot easier. Those principles definitely apply to hypermiling.

My other vehicle is a 89 GMC Suburban. Don't laugh. I've had it since it was new and with good driving and auto care, it still gets the EPA ratings it had when it was new. The good old "Burb" has driven my 6 kids all over the country and is now semi-retired, but it's never needed a new tranny and it hardly burns any oil, even at its age! I changed the oil faithfully every 3,000 or sooner. There is a hypermiler in your midst who drives an SUV, but it will be the only one I ever own. I think I will have to make something out of it when it finally dies since it's been in the family for so long.......

I've been hypermiling about three weeks now and have been getting better at driving ICE off. If I'm moving, starting is as smooth as a gear shift. I knew it was pretty cool to coast home and into the garage, engine off, when my son had his friends with us in the car as we pulled in. The silence as we came to a stop just made them say, "whoa!" When 15-year-olds can be impressed, you've got something going.

I'm glad to be part of a group of people who are devoted to reducing our dependence on oil. And a group of awesome drivers who are pretty cool themselves. :woot:
    I've got a photo of me and Little Blue and my one hp in the gallery.

Vicky

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: 161s rides

Hi Vicky:

___Welcome to CleanMPG and I think you need to take a good look at the home page this evening as there may be someone you are familiar with posted there ;)

___I hope you find our little home away from home a nice place to visit. I am sure Tarabell, DebbieKatz and Laurie will be along in short order to add a warm welcome as well. All 3 are great drivers in their own right and Laurie in particular is a horse fan with her own farmette and critters of all types as well!

___Good Luck

___Wayne