Mileage Still Improving

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by krousdb, Mar 24, 2006.

1. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Even after my 6th tank under very similar environmental conditions, my mileage continues to improve. On average, the ambient temp while driving has been 30-35F. My latest tank was 56.94 MPG.:D

I don't expect further improvments until the temps get warmer. I am hoping for 60 MPG tanks with 50F ave temps and 65 MPG during the summer >70F ave. Only time and higher temps will tell for sure. Also this summer I plan on installing the CX transmission which will lower my final drive to 3.25 from 4.06. That will hopefully be worth another few MPG's. 70 would be sweeeeet:D

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dan:

___The taller final is going to help immensely when and where you can get the del Sol in 4th and 5th. You are doing some fantastic things with that little red sports car and I sure hope you see a 70 mpg segment by mid June or thereabouts. Wouldn’t that be a kicker? At that point, you may be beating your Prius II’s commuting FE!!!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Making me jealous :D It's great to see those kinds of numbers and then realize that they are going up!

4. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I call dibbs on the gas saved by him!

5. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

I call his wheels ;)

6. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

The commute with the Prius in the summer is 75MPG. While I might be able to get the occasional 70MPG segment on the way to work, I think beating the Prius over a whole tank will prove quite difficult. It might require some imagination to do that.

But first things first, the Tom challenge, 66MPG! Did I mention that Tom is a meany?:p He likes to make me sweat.:eek:

7. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Last two tanks were 58.8 and 60.6 respectively. I am only filling to 1/2 tank as part of my weight reduction program. Jenny Craig for cars I guess.:D

LMPG 53.8 and climbing. :D :D :D

I was dreading the drive in this morning because it was dark and raining. Both FE killers due to wipers and lights on and increased rolling resistance from tires pushing water out of the way and spraying it all over. Temp was 45F. Last night I indexed my plugs and decided on a modified route to work that would cut out some FE killer lights (when I miss them). So I count 3 variables that have changed for this mornings trip, rain, indexed plugs and a new route.

Well right out of the box (garage) I noticed a difference in FE. By the time I get to the main road, about 0.2 km into my trip, my FE was 19 MPG where usually it was 16.5. Then I began the new segment of my route. Eventually when the new segment merged into the original route at about the 10 km mark, I noticed that I was about 6.5 MPG higher than my previous best to that point. At the 20 km point I was at 6.7 MPG higher, or 74.8 MPG! :D At this point I am at the low point of my commute so don't get too excited im telling myself. Now the merge onto I-79 and I duck in behind a fuel tanker and draft at 55 MPH, ASI showing 20-30 MPH. At the 30 km mark I am exiting I-79 and am at the high point of the commute, 61.9 MPG. The final 10 km leg has 10 stoplights and I made 5 of them. I cruised into the parking lot at 63.68 MPG which beats the old record of 62.75! The trip length is slightly shorter so the total fuel used was .384 gallons beating the previous record of .392.

So I'm sitting here wondering, WTF? It was raining, which in my experience is detrimental to FE and wind wasn't really a factor. On the downhill ign off segments, speeds seemed to be better than normal. Usually I take a hairpin curve, engine off and exit at about 35 MPH and coast for a mile or so to a 25 MPH speed limit sign at about 27 MPH. Today I took the curve slower, exiting at 32MPH and was still at 30MPH when I got to the 25 MPH sign. ASI showed same as the speedo so no tail wind.

I have heard some Prius and Insight drivers say that they notice an increase in FE with very light rain but could never prove it definitively. I can't prove anything at this point but what i know for sure is that starting a new tank this way is very satisfying. Mehbe the indexing helped? Mehbe the new route? We shall see on Monday which is supposed to be cooler but dry. Thunderstorms and wind for tonights drive, but 63F too. Maybe I will be surprised again?

8. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

9. tbaleno

Did you compensate for the different tire ratio?

10. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Yes, the SuperMID is calibrated to my current tires. When I put on the RE 92's then I will recalibrate the distance parameter.

11. philmcneal

hm in the rain i saw this guy's sig, more gas equals less wet. I thought it was pretty funny.

here's a pic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  12. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Do you calibrate based on GPS speed/distance from an actual road test?

13. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Actually I do a road test on 50 miles of I-79 using mileposts. I then verify using google earth. Quite accurate. Most people think that the odometer is calibrated perfectly when they drive off of the showroom floor. Not so in most cases. Odometers generally over register in my experience. I have used the milepost method on every car that I have owned and found usually 0-3% overregistration. The best was the Prius which was dead on. My guess is that most people are overstating thier FE due to the overregistration.

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___The Insight was a 2.5% over report whereas the Accord and Ranger are dead on. The easiest way I could tell was the GPS speed and distance over a 92.5 mile segment vs. speedo and odometer over the same. The PDA based GPS SW w/ a GPS receiver have excellent utilities for all kinds of things including speed, elevation, and distance tracking from point to point most may not have ever thought of using one for. I highly recommend a hand held GPS setup for this use vs. just getting directions from Point A to point B as most use them for exclusively ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Agreed on the use of milepost and/or GPS. I've never tried the milepost method, since there's not really anywhere around here to do it, but I've done it by GPS several times, usually at least twice per set of tires as they wear down. The odo is actually usually pretty close in my Civic. The furthest it's been off is 1.7%, the least was 1.0%.

16. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

First update after new HX wheels and Insight LRR tires. It was dry but cold this morning, 32F. It took awhile for the engine to heat up, maybe because I have the vent open on my grille block. I took the very latest route, the one that elimninates 4 stop lights. While I did make a few hypermiling mistakes, I had a pretty good trip to work at 66.23 MPG. :) Previous best was 63.68 at 45F and raining. There is definately some room left to get closer to 70 when the morning temps get back into the 50's. Tonight's drive will be sunny and in the 60's.

Current tank, 165 miles, 62.94 MPG :D

17. philmcneal

my prediction never fails, once dan can adjust his coasting points (since his tires can roll for a longer period of time) that 70 mpg will be a reaility.

Ouch to those who own hybrids or diesels, can anyone match up to this sipping beast?

Let me reword that phrase, is there any man that will take this beast? Regardless of whatever car you drive?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  18. tbaleno

Ask him what he was able to achieve in his prius.

19. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Was he in the 110mpg team? I'd have to wonder if on such a highly optimized route as this if he'd be doing 120 or 130mpg in a modified Prius.

20. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Twas my Prius yes. I have no idea on how to mod the Prius to get 120 on my current commute. The best I have ever gotten was 83 round trip. Speeds are low so aero mods wont help. Maybe a few MPGs from LRR tires but low 80's is the max for me.