Rhwinger's ride

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by rhwinger, Feb 2, 2007.

1. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/546/rhwinger_ride.jpg[/xfloat]

We bought the Honda July of 06 – the day after VaBeachPrius bought his Prius. :rolleyes: It was my wife’s idea to buy a hybrid as she is the tree hugger in the family. I’m the reducing oil imports/energy efficiency fanatic, but I wouldn’t call myself “cheap”. I just like geeky toys and efficiency.

I’ve been a fan of programmable thermostats in the home for over 20 years. Two years ago, graduated to motion sensor light switches in the pantry and bathrooms where everyone turns on the lights, but nobody remembers to turn them off! Recently replaced a bunch of incandescent light bulbs with CFL’s, but some of them have an annoying habit of buzzing and take a few minutes to come up to full brightness. And the light color/ temperature is a bit different making rooms and people’s skin look a bit “odd”, even after trying to select the ones labeled “soft white”. For these reasons, I think they need a bit of tweaking and I’m not sure about mandating them yet.

Anyway, while introducing Levi (my oldest son) to the Honda, he was taken by how the NAV display folded out with a silky sounding whirr while loading a CD. He exclaimed: ”Just like James Bond, dad! Cool!” He’s a real “Shaken – not stirred” fan, so that’s how we came to call our car the Bond Mobile.

Having the iFCD and trip FCD displays in the Honda provide real time feedback on driving efficiency – I wish all cars came with the displays. While a lot of drivers would probably ignore them – just like they ignore their speedometers – seems to me some drivers would try to use them. You don’t have to drive a hybrid to be a hypermiler. And a 10% reduction in oil demand would yield a hugely disproportionate drop in oil/gas prices. Hello GM and Ford – are you listening??

And the picture shows my son Levi and I out at the airport a few weeks ago. I don’t want to sound like a braggart, but, well, I’m proud of earning a pilot’s license. That accomplishment was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007