FE Challenge 10 - Summer 2010

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by PaleMelanesian, Jun 30, 2010.

1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Presenting the Summer 2010 Challenge, running from July 1, 2010 to September 30, 2010.

[FIMG=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Jeff_Townsley_-_Civic_on_the_road.jpg[/FIMG]Andrew McGuckin - CleanMPG - July 1, 2010

This is now the tenth episode of our quarterly challenge to beat the EPA mileage ratings. The winner is the driver who beats the EPA by the highest percentage.

Drive your daily routes in your normal car. Real-world cars, real-world routes, everyday conditions, etc. This is where the real results prove the value of hypermiling. Remember the CleanMPG motto, "Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive".

Results from previous economy runs:
    I: February - May 2008. Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: June - August, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: Sept - Nov 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)
    IV: Dec 2008 - Feb 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), GaryG (B), jhu (C)
    V: March - May 2009. Winners: lnmcmahan (A), nissynis (B), Damionk (C)
    VI: June - Sept 2009. Winners: cpeter38, froggman, Taliesin, Kacey Green (marathon)
    VII: Oct - Dec 2009. Winners: cpeter38 (A), Swineone (B, Marathon), some_other_dave (C)
    VIII: Winners: GaryG (A), Sulfuric (B), jimepting (C, highest mpg), tpmjr2004 (Marathon), Right Lane Cruiser (Winter)
    IX: Winners: PaleMelanesian (A), jimepting (B), LinuxGold (C), tpmjr2004 (Marathon), Right Lane Cruiser (Highest MPG)

How to Join
    To participate in this Fuel Economy Challenge, all you have to do is the following:
    • Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov. Choose the propulsion category "Quarter-Year FE Challenge". Please use a new log and leave the previous challenge logs as-is until the results are finalized. Once finalized, the previous vehicles can be deleted.
    • Post here in this thread to announce your participation. Be sure to include a link to your new mileage log.
    • Drive
    • Post in this thread with updates. Start wherever you are now, and use your next fillup, whenever it comes, as the start of your log. There is now no minimum mileage or number of fillups, only a request for no single-tank entries. We want complete daily driving records, and not cherry-picked entries.
    • Entries will be accepted for one month, after which the participation list will be final.
    • Report your final fill within 7 days past the end of the challenge.
    The standings here on page 1 will be updated periodically (by CleanMPG staff members).

Handicaps
    For a level playing field, we will all use the new revised EPA estimates for fuel economy. If you are using a handicap, please list it when you announce your participation.

• Hybrid Handicap: Reduce your epa ratings by multiplying by 0.85. Hybrids are already optimized for good mileage by automatically doing many of the things hypermilers do.
    • E10 Handicap: Reduce your epa ratings by 3%, to match the reduced BTU of 10% ethanol.
    • Part-time E10: If you only sometimes use E10, log 3% less fuel used when you record that fillup. Make a note in the comments for the tank. Example: "Last fill was E10. Pumped 10 gallons, logged 9.7 gallons". Use this adjustment for the fill that finishes the tank of E10 fuel, not when you put it in.
    • E85 Handicap: If you are using E85 instead of regular gasoline and EPA ratings are not available, you can estimate your E85 rating. Just lower the gasoline numbers by 25% (multiply by 0.75) and round to the nearest MPG. Enter this as your EPA rating.

Which Division?
    Divisions A, B and C were created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.

• If you were in the top 2 or 3 in your division, please consider moving up.
    • If you were near the bottom, consider moving down. Everything is more fun when the competition is close.
    • If are are new to hypermiling or to this challenge then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.

Special class - Marathon: If you drive lots of miles (1500+ a month or so), you belong here. (in addition to Div A, B or C. Sign up for both.)

Official Standings
    Division A
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    PaleMelanesian [​IMG]
    Right Lane Cruiser [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    groar [​IMG]
    diamondlarry [​IMG] Hybrid
    jimepting [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    RobertSmalls [​IMG] Hybrid

Division B
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    VegasDude [​IMG] E10
    Mr. Pancake [​IMG] E10, Hybrid
    tpmjr2004 [​IMG] E10
    aburk4 [​IMG] E10
    Sulfuric [​IMG] E10
    LinuxGold [​IMG]

Division C
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    some_other_dave [​IMG] Cali E6
    Die2self [​IMG] E10
    bethomas463 [​IMG] E10
    mcmurphy [​IMG] E10

Marathon Division (long-distance)
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Handicap
    tpmjr2004 [​IMG] E10
    Sulfuric [​IMG] E10
    bethomas463 [​IMG] E10

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Hypermile to the finest

As soon as I get Honda Civic car, I want to be in Division B.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I'm going to skip out this round. :)

5. LinuxGold

Starting today for FE 10 competition:

[​IMG]

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

You're entering a helicopter?! :eek:

;)

7. PaleMelanesian

what's the EPA on that, umm, thing? :eek:

8. LinuxGold

20 Gallons per hour.

9. bethomas463

bethomas463 Slow Rider

10. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

11. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

12. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Division C, E6 (2% EPA mileage) handicap. I have a feeling I'll need the handicap... ;)

It may take a day or two to create the mileage log, just due to my lack of organization at the moment.

-soD

13. LinuxGold

Good Morning ALL!

*sips* McDonalds coffee, in mist of parking lot, filled with various CleanMPG cars with drivers chatting around, giving advices, sharing jokes and anticipating for competition to start. I keep my eyes out at Division B competitors, breaking ice in between and say...

"Happy Hypermiling!"

14. some_other_dave

I have tried going to "Mileage Logs", then "Add Vehicle". On that form, I cannot find anywhere that I can select a category. The same thing happened last Challenge that I participated in as well.

Help?

-soD

15. PaleMelanesian

It's in the Fuel Type or Propulsion dropdown. Where you would go to choose Hybrid, but if you've never needed to do that, you likely haven't seen the other options in the list either.

I changed the instructions to make it more clear.

16. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Very poor start to this challenge.:( Apparently I had an under-fill on the last tank. 484.1 miles and 8.501 gallons. This was 95% or more on the highway to Cedar Point. The FCD read closer to 80 for that trip.

17. some_other_dave

All I see are:

Select Here
    Hybrid
    Gas
    Diesel
    Motorcycle
    Electric

I do not see a Quarter-Year selection. :( I did a force-reload (shift-control-R) and still do not see that selection. Is there something else that must be chosen as well?

-soD

18. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Dave, choose a normal category — Andrew, Wayne, or I must change it to the challenge category. No one else can do that.

19. Sulfuric

Sulfuric Well-Known Member

Hey everyone - happy 4th (for those of you in the states)!
    I'm a little pressed for time, with relatives all around me and little pc time.
    Anyway, I will be entering this challenge very soon with an official log and everything. E10 handicap.

I'm on my summer road trip and I will be in Nashville, TN tomorrow, East canton Ohio a few days later, Carversville, PN a few days after that, Lebanon NH, Wiscasset ME, Vineyard Haven MA, and Virginia Beach, VA (last one around July 24). If anyone here would like to meet my girlfriend and I for lunch or something, and maybe a little driving/comparisons/help it would be a very cheerful experience for me.

Anyway, it's time to eat and then watch fireworks.
    Bye Y'all (I'm in Alabama :) )

20. some_other_dave

Thank you, I was beginning to be afraid that I was imagining things!

OK, I am in:

[​IMG]

-soD