Tarabell's Mudder

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by tarabell, Jan 7, 2007.

1. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

My Ride.

Tarabell’s 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/546/Tarabell_s_2006_HCH-II.jpg[/xfloat]Tarabell - CleanMPG.com – Jan 7, 2006

Mudder is a racetrack term for a horse that likes to run in mud. After I drove my new car home in the rain from the dealer, my husband mentioned he once won a lot of money on a mudder, so that’s what I decided to name my HCH-II.

I decided on the HCH-II mainly for the California HOV sticker, the tax credit, and belief that gas prices in the long term are only headed upward. But I didn’t think the increased gas mileage of a hybrid would require any real effort on my part and planned to drive my usual way. Then I discovered the real fun of driving this car was in the effort. Now I rarely even use the HOV lane because the average speed is usually too high for me there—I prefer to stay around 50-55mph in the right hand lane. On a nice morning with the right traffic conditions I can glide a mile or so into small congestion pockets and drive a ~20 mile segment with 70+ mpg. Best tank to date has been 65mpg.

I haven’t done any improvements to this car since it’s already much smarter than I am. What’s really needed is to improve the driver. Still, I amaze myself that I own a tire gauge, and can open the hood and locate the fuse box. I never did any of these things with my previous cars. Why I’ve taken this much interest in a vehicle and learning how to drive it for maximum fuel efficiency at this time is probably a good question and my family attributes it to approaching menopause.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

This car is a beauty and looks just like ours (same color, etc). We now have over 10k on it since June and really enjoy driving it. Thanks for sharing your experiences with your HCHII. We have certainly benefited with improved FE as result of the article you posted. Cheers :flag:

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

And no doubt many, many others! That FE graph is almost as pretty as the car, still climbing even into the cooler months.

4. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Tarabell:

I always wondered where "Mudder" came from. Your not in Chicago, so I didn't think it was "mother". ;-)

My sister bought a Camry Hybrid for the HOV lane. Santa brought her a tire pressure gage and portable tire filling compressor. I'm hoping she sees the light.

Your FE graph also is an interesting testimonyabout how much you have learned and improved since Mudder joined your family. I know I have enjoyed learning from your articles. Way to go!

5. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

you go, girl! i knew what mudder meant, being a horsey type person. i think my car qualifies sort of since i have to frequently drive on dirt roads. though the other day it was an ice road for half the way from the highway to my house, and that was a darn scary drive. great mileage, though. using snow tires on ice is kind of a backwards way of getting low rolling resistance.

6. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

It took me a while before I realized this probably wasn’t the most appropriate name for my car but by then it had stuck.

Good to see you, Laurie, I sure hope your temps break out of subzero soon!

7. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

thanks, tara. i was nodding in agreement with the article delta flyer posted about the warming in minnesota. it was going along fine until this week when the temps tanked and head below zero. and my mileage tanked along with it. i have a 40 mile drive to the stable tomorrow to ride my horse (best mileage of all), perhaps i can hypermile a little and bring it back up.