Workin on it.

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Ken07TCH, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Ken07TCH

Ken07TCH Well-Known Member

IF yall read my hello post you know I love cruise control. Well last night I left it off. Really my mileage did not improve, nah I didnt expect improvement right away. I spent the drive home trying to just be very conscious on what my gas foot was doing and how the car engine responded.

I found that when I concentrate I can make very small incremental changes. However, I also noticed my foot seems to stick on the pedal and it needs to be able to slide more. Im looking to see if I have any slick bottom shoes. This is something I just never thought about.

Also I tried to find the spot where the the battery is not charging and the electric motor is not running- according to the Nav display. I failed miserably to create this condition all the way home. Until about a half mile from the house I crested a hill in a 35mph zone and let off then just slight pressure back on and VOILA- no arrows to nor from the engine or battery!
    So rereading I think this condition is non existent above 41 MPH is that correct? I have a nice 2 mile stretch of 40 MPH road on the way to the freeway and I was not able to acheive this state there- I was on the pedal up to just over 40MPH and then less pedal down to just above 30.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Re: Workin on it..

Hi Ken:

___Nice ride and your getting it!

___In the TCH, the best way to glide is to allow a touch of regen to force the ICE off and than shift to N and hold the glide to your lower speed target. Fighting the TCH's minimal "Glide" band is really tough and the N shift once the ICE is off is your key to success.

___And yes, anything above 40 is WS or NICE-On.

___You will want to purchase a ScanGauge-II as the TCH loves IGN 18/TPS 18 for the highway drive. Having a tach display to verify ICE-Off below 40 mph is a definite advantage also :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Ken07TCH

Well my week of odd shift ends after tonights run home. Next week Im back to rush hour driving. Currently I think the computer shows me about 180 miles range left. If I continue to improve I might make 40 mpg for the previous week. Not record breaking but certainly very promising.

I have Monday and Tuesday off and I want to try to get the synergy fluid changed. In case Im not being clear this is what is usually a transmission but in this car is a direct drive that connects the electric motor with the gas engine. Does anyone have a link showing where the fluid drains and fills? Also, I think it does not have a filter? Is that correct? I can just drain 4 quarts and refill 4 quarts? Only Toyota has the fluid is that correct?

4. Ken07TCH

I bought the fluid - 4 qts Toyota TypeIV- at the dealer total about $13.
    I went to my mechanic who found the correct plugs for evac and fill. He charged me $30, the fluid coming out was red and the fluid he put in was red.

I feel better.

5. bic590

bic590 Active Member

Even if you are starting to drive in rush hour I would start adding some extra space between you and the guy in front then pulse and glide as well as possible. Most of my family still doesn't believe me that I can get over 30 mpg on my normal commute in and out of Chicago in the gridlock of rush hour. I would still recommend the SGII though. Lots of money, but it does make a difference. A big one...

Also, since you have a hybrid, you might be able to put me to shame really quick if you keep practicing with your traffic down there in Atlanta. Good luck with the traffic down there. I remember sitting in that stuff for a while last time I was in the area.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Last month, I hit the rush hour mess on the north loop in dallas - 5 miles of stop and crawl. I reset the gauge and maintained over 100 mpg through that mess. When traffic started moving, my mileage dropped to the 60's due to the higher speeds. You can do amazing things if you play traffic the right way.

I only had one person get angry and change lanes around me, because of the large buffer I was maintaining. They then got caught and fell even farther behind than if they had just followed me.

7. aaronl

aaronl Alternative transportation advocate

That's an amazing number, Andrew. My friend with a '96 5-speed Civic is
    green with envy.

Not only were you saving gas and brakes, but you were probably also
    creating anti-traffic (http://trafficwaves.org/trafexp.html).

8. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Excellent read. I did this only once about a month ago because I was tired of the stop and go pattern, I kept a steady 3mph and never touched the brakes. I didn't think to look behind me. :) - Dale

9. Ken07TCH

Wow thats like dejavue. I remember Dad telling me that when we lived at Ft Sheridan back in the early 70's he used to amaze his carpool by driving into and out of Chicago and never touch the brakes. He had a Ford Fairlane with an inline6 and 3 on the tree. Yeah I keep 3 or 4 car lengths open in front of me and just left everyone in. Lots of glide, and Trying to stay on the battery when I need any power. Im still not hitting 40 average for real but Im not giving up. As for the rear view that is rarely used. The TCH only seems to read up to 60MPG. I wonder if its computer is not giving full credit. On the other hand calculating mileage and gallons at the pump doesnt lie in the long run so, maybe not.

10. Ken07TCH

My Scanguage2 should be here this week, looking forward!

11. Ken07TCH

Cold this morning 28f South of Atlanta to 30F when I got to work North of Atlanta. Frost on the windshield.
    I read Dans review on the TCH (from 2008) yesterday and Waynes recommendation about 18/18. So this morning I drove through Atlanta trying to stay on 18 IGN on the SCII. Also this is the second half of the tank from last week. Speed ranged from 45 to 60(downhill 9999.) Suprisingly not a horn honked at me, hehe!

Perhaps I will get it all together soon.

I sure wish there was a Hybridfest in Atlanta
    And away we go....

12. Ken07TCH

I chickened out. I filled up. I was near empty on the gauge and the computer said 18 mile crusing range. 13.367 gal for 531 miles. I think thats improvement, anyway.

13. Ken07TCH

I tell ya. The one biggest contributor to FE is speed. Also the one biggest hurdle I have been practicing is slowing down. Its easy to say 40 MPH is minimum speed on a 55MPH Interstate Highway. But I still have an aversion to driving that slowly out there. However, I am making progress as my average speed coming in to work this morning was 30 MPH. This due, in part, to my effort to drive 50-55 on the way in. When I started I just couldnt see myself driving this slowly consistently. I guess its a process. Still workin on it...

14. Ken07TCH

Warm weather is awesome. I hit 40 for this tank. Temps were 45-68. Huge difference even with a little rain.

15. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Keep pushing, you're doing great! Every last thing helps. I know what it feels like to be a beginner; I'm just getting used to a new car myself and I'm doing way better than my old beast. Every day is a learning experience.

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Ken:

___Congrats on the 40! Nice to see someone pushing a TCH around these parts as there are not that many out there :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. Ken07TCH

Thanks You two for the encouragement.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Great link!

I always want to leave a buffer to roll steadily in the (very infrequent) jams I'm in. I've always taken the "zip fastener" method and allowed onne (one and only one) person to merge in front of me, but that article makes so much sense. From now on I'll act more selfishly and let more people in!