My life with Prius

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by xcel, Dec 24, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 200,000 miles and still going strong :)

[​IMG]Jesse Rudavsky - CleanMPG - Dec. 24, 2009

My 2005 Toyota Prius parked near Mt Mitchell, NC in early Nov. 2008

The first 200,000 miles...

On Dec. 21, at 02:12 AM EST, my 2005 Prius breached the 200,000 mile mark without a single issue involving the engine, batteries or driveline. In fact, it has not had any issue at all!

I purchased my 05 Prius used on Feb. 20, 2008 with 84,354 miles on the odometer from Toyota of Middletown RI. My first Prius, a 2002, would have likely been nearing 470,000 miles if not for being T-Boned by a red light runner who totaled my previous 2002 Prius-I :ccry:

The hybrid community loses a special vehicle …

So far I would have to say my 2005-II Prius had been the most trouble free car I have ever owned. I have not had to do any engine, exhaust or brake work. In fact, the only thing I have had to do other than fill it up with fuel is perform routine maintenance including oil and filter, and air filter changes at the prescribed intervals plus spark plugs and tranny fluid around 125,000 miles out.

My Prius has taken me across the North American Continent and back including a memorable trip to South Dakota and Wyoming in the fall of 2008. It has also taken me to Florida several times as well as Canada, Wisconsin, and recent trip to Mt Mitchell in NC at 6,684’ above sea level, the highest point East of the Mississippi.

Something many CleanMPG’er will not be proud of (I told Wayne I would never do it again :D) but I took the Prius-II up to 107 mph on a flat terrain in a rural area and it didn't even flinch.

I suppose the only complaint about the car I have would be the gas tank bladder since in cold weather; I can only add about 5 gallons with 3 indicator lights remaining on the fuel gauge. The 2010 Prius no longer has a bladder.

In my Prius travels, I have convinced 7 others to purchase hybrid vehicles. There are countless others who I have talked to about the reliability of the hybrid drivetrain and in particular, the battery longevity. It is probable that some of those individuals or their friends have also purchased a hybrid.

I am very much looking forward to the next 200,000 miles and hope to best my 2002’s 349,531 miles in just over two years from now.

One more interesting note is that if I add up the miles I have driven in both cars, 265,000 on my Prius-I and 116,000 on my Prius-II, (both were purchased with approximately 84,000 miles on them) plus 3,000 miles on the 08 Prius rental car while I was waiting for the Prius-I insurance repair decision, I have approximately 384,000 Prius miles under my belt and am very, much looking forward to many more!

Life with Prius – 200,000 miles and counting

[​IMG]
    On a dark and snowy night, my Prius’ surpassed the 200,000 mile mark.​

How far will yours go?

2. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

WOW! Thats GREAT! Keep going Jesse!

I think you should get a sponsor from Energizer. You just keep going and going and going and going.................................

:D

3. I guess that's why the resale value on the Prius is so high, eh? ;) They don't ever seem to wear out.

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

How can a person ever complain about cars like that What service! Keep on trucken,:Banane36: Hal

5. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Congratulations, that's a real testament to the reliability of the Prius.

Now, slow it down. :D - Dale

6. echoman

echoman Well-Known Member

Great story! It really is true that the prius dont usually run into to many problems. Many cities use them as taxis as well. There truely are a great car! :woot:

7. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

With 350,000 miles on the Gen I before it was totaled by a careless driver and 200,000 on a Gen II, Jesse has racked up an impressive total of 550,000 trouble free miles on Toyota hybrid drive trains. I've heard his stories of his adventures and I can't say the cars were babied either.

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Take that, Art Spinella!

9. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Your should get your own reality show.

10. Bravo! Oh... Where is the accompanying story about the 200,000-mile trouble-free Hummer, Art?! Hmmmm?! Heh heh ;)

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Excellent.

I hope the 3rd generation proves as or even more reliable.

Buy Prius. Do about 20k miles per year. Drive for 10 years.
    Replace with the 2020 2nd generation BEV Prius. ;)

12. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

Oh come on. Don't we all really know that it is really a Hummer under there, covered up with a fiberglass shell to look like a Prius? Everyone knows that a real Prius can't possibly go that far, and that he would have certainly died in the mishap at 350k if he wasn't surrounded by all that mass and protection of a Hummer. :)

13. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

A little over 201k tonite and so far so good.