A new Milestone

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by krousdb, Mar 14, 2006.

1. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Today was quite an accomplishment for me. A month ago I thought that i would be struggling to keep my tanks above 50MPG. But today, I recorded 60 MPG on both the drive to work AND the drive back home! Previously I was only able to crack 60 on the way to work which is -200 ft elevation.

To work, -200 ft elevation, 56F, 8 MPH headwind, 60.13 MPG
    From work, +200 ft elevation, 74F, 15 MPH tailwing, 60.17 MPG.

Current tank, 195 miles, 59.2 MPG.:D

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dan:

___You have blown right through Tom’s 10% challenge without even thinking about it! Those old Civic’s are the goods, aren’t they … Congrats and keep up the excellent segments. It won’t be long and you will be making your Prius II FE monster machine look dated! That is making a statement given the del Sol is 10 years older :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I don't know how you did that, considering a Del Sol is not economy-oriented.

The elevation is starting to sould like marathon runners talk about elevation and hills. :D

4. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Well actually Tom's challenge is for 10% over 60MPG for me. He is a meanie and likes to see me sweat. :eek:

66 MPG is 83% above the combined EPA estimates. That is equivalent to 118 MPG on an Insight or 92 MPG on an HCHII or 101 MPG on a Prius. Maybe I could do it on an optimized test course but for my daily commute? Im gonna need some help with this. Perhaps some extreme modifications are in order?:D

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dan:

___Although I could not come close to doing this each commute, I did see 117.x mpg’s 3 times while I owned her. I know other Insighter’s who have actually seen higher FE on shorter segments! You will blow your current numbers out of the water with no mods when its warms up a bit … I promise ;)

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Honestly, when I bought the car I was crossing my fingers for 45 MPG. I am as surprised as you are. The Del Sol came in two trim levels, S and Si. I have the S trim level which is a few pounds lighter than the Si and has the same engine and transmission as the Civic DX which has a 34/40 EPA rating vs a 34/38 for the Del Sol. I assume that the lower highway rating is due the the horrible .378 CD. There is about a 400 lb weight advantage with the Del Sol but it does not show up in the EPA numbers.

7. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

With the Prius, certainly better FE when warmer. But the penalty seems less with the Del Sol so the gain from summer temps may be limited.:mad: