Where are you guys mounting the Scangauge?

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by ALS, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I keep looking at the dash and there just isn't a natural place to put it. I looked at the steering column cover but it is below eye level. :( I don't like the idea of looking down and taking my eyes off the road. The problem with that location is I'm 6'4".
    I've thought about getting a mirror mount and that one is still up in the air, but still an option.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

The Ranger has almost natural space. Mine is mounted on the top of the steering column, and it only hides the area of the dash that would have the gear indicator if it had an auto tranny.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

The one in my Elantra is mounted just above the gauge cluster, on top of the dash and centered behind the steering wheel.

The one in the Insight is only used for monitoring the 12V status, coolant temp, and intake temp. It is actually mounted under the radio. A glance toward the shift knob every once in a while is sufficient. If I was actually driving by the FE display on my SG that would be a completely unacceptable position.

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Same for mine. Front and center, as close to a heads-up display as possible.

5. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Well where ever you decide to put it, just be sure you don't accidentally cover up the little warning lights. Anyways I've got mine mounted just under the a-pillar, and I've got the wire running up the side of the door.

6. ALS

Here is pic of the dash board. Other than a Blend Mount for the mirror the only other place would be to the left on that small flat White spot by the front Port window. I would love to be able to find a way to tuck it in the cluster but it is looking like it would block too many gauges and warning lights from view. Then I have that hiding the cord problem.

[​IMG]

7. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

on my car it was easy because all of that is right in front of the driver, I just put one to the left of the upper cluster and one to the right

8. ALS

I installed my Blend Mount today in my 2010 Prius and I'm thrilled with how it looks.

Being I'm 6'4" the mirror mount was the perfect option. The unit sits about 15 inches away from me just above eye level.

[​IMG]

It was so simple to install the Scan Gauge Blend Mount. Took about 20 minutes total start to finish.

1. Wipe back of scan gauge with alcohol wipe and let air dry.
    2. Attach plastic Velcro squares to back of scan gauge.
    You need one large and one small. Test fit before peeling off the backs.
    3 Unscrew hex head screws and separate mount halves.
    4. Remove spacer it is not needed for the Prius mirror stem.
    5. Take the haves and place around mirror stem and install screws, tighten with supplied hex wrench.
    6. Attach bracket that Scan Gauge unit attaches to with screw and tighten with supplied hex wrench.
    7. You will need the extension cable supplied with the Blend Mount.
    The Scan Gauge OEM cable is about 12 inches too short to use alone with this install.
    8. Attach extension cable through mount back to scan gauge and attach Scan Gauge to mount.

9. The fun part comes now, routing the cable. Easier than you think.

10. The head liner is a plastic tray covered with cloth.
    11. Gently with your finder tips starting at the interior light pull downward just enough to get the cable into the space between the windshield, roof and headliner. Work your way over toward the drivers door and the side air bag cover.

Leave a few extra inches of cable between the Scan Gauge and the head liner so you can unplug the unit and remove it easily. I used the center plug in the back.

12. This is the only tough place to feed the cable. Be gentle at this area because the airbag cover is really tight up near the windshield roof line.
    You only need to pull it out just enough to press the cable inside across the top 2 inches of the airbag cover then your back to the edge of the headliner. You want run the cable down that seam between the cover and the headliner.

[​IMG]

13. Now it gets real easy. You will see a rubber decorative gasket that runs down the length of the door frame. Pull it out slightly and run the cable down towards the floor under this gasket. The gasket will snap back covering the cable.

[​IMG]

There is a plastic cover at the bottom and you can feed the cable behind it where the gasket meets that cover.

[​IMG]

14. This is where you need to plug in the Scan Gauge supplied cable to the OBD2 port and feed it up under the cover under the dash.

15. The OBD2 cable unfortunately comes out on the right side of the connector so you have to run it to the right then up under the dash.

Using the supplied Blend Mount cable connector, plug in the ends of the cables. Stuff the extra under the dash and secure using the supplied zip ties.

Make sure when you run that cable under the kick cover and up under the dash make sure the cable doesn't interfere with the hood release or parking brake operation. When you look up under the left corner of the dash you will see what I mean.

9. ckk527

ckk527 New Member

Excellent. Thanks, ALS. I've been thinking about taking the plunge and getting a ScanGauge and was wondering where/how to mount it in my Gen III. This may be what nudges me into doing it. Much appreciated.