separate group for trucks/suvs in mileage logs?

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by nervousmini, Jul 31, 2009.

1. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

Just a though after spending some time looking through the mileage logs for other similar vehicles - would it be possible to group the trucks and suvs into their own section, like hybrid, gas, diesel, electric, truck/suv, motorcycle, ect... I think you get the idea.

It might be nice to be able to more easily compare apples and apples, so to speak.

2. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

I'm all for it.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Not as simple as you might think. There is nothing in the database that flags an entry as "truck" or "SUV" so there isn't an easy way to form the appropriate query.

All is not lost, however. I'm juggling ideas for allowing some limited search functionality. The trick is to do it in a fashion that won't allow exploits of the underlying software.

4. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could implement queries by Model? It seems like it might be useful to compare results from different models/drivetrains when shopping.

5. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

Sorta on the subject:

A while back, we talked about a "FSP challenge" and it got me thinking through some of the questions that would have to be sorted out before anything really got off the ground.

Q1) What qualifies as a "FSP"? (similar to your question of putting trucks & SUV's in a separate category) Do we sort by EPA rating, GVWR, GVCWR, curb weight, horsepower, displacement, etc....

Q2) Is there a better way to "rank" the fuel economy obtained with these beasts than just MPG or MPG/EPA? For example, 3/4 ton and larger don't even have EPA ratings. That leaves us out of all the FE challenges and such. Can we scale results by some of the same factors mentioned above?

6. nervousmini

Well, far be it from me to define or set the rules, but I would imagine something like this would be reasonable.

1. What qualifies? Any vehicle titled or licensed as a truck or suv, full/mid/compact - I'm all for including anyone that wants to join in. As far as sorting it - displacement might be the easiest.

2. Wow, not really sure how to rank the ones without an epa rating. Maybe we could go on already recoded mileage logs for the initial groupings?

I'm certainly open to any other ideas, but would really like to see a challenge get off the ground. I know that there is always a regular quarterly challenge happening, but it seems almost impossible to really be in the running with a truck or suv as even getting 125% takes allot of work - especially for those of us in more urban areas not driving Ford Rangers :D

7. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

There's an easy solution to that!!

:D Buy a Ford Ranger :D

8. nervousmini

Sorry, would love one - but doesn't fit my needs as well as the blazer.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

To be more specific, Ford Rangers with the 2.3L engine and 5-speed manual transmission. Once you move up to auto tranny or the V6 the Ranger becomes just another FSP (especially if its 4X4).

Frankly, I wish I could afford to "upgrade" to a more FE choice (some sort of hatchback to fit the fishing equipment).