VSS Location on 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by lucky1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. lucky1

lucky1 Member

The mechanics at the taxi company where I have two Prius taxi's on as cabs were wondering where the VSS is located on the 2010. The mechanics at toyota don't seem to know for some reason? They need to know when they hook the GPS dispatch system in the cab. They had no problem with the old Prius cabs but for some reason are stumped on this one.
    I will check back later to see if anyone knows.
    Thanks

2. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Well-Known Member

Could they use one of the sensors for the ABS? Hobbit explained how to tap into the ABS signals on the 2nd generation, not sure about the 2010.

3. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Not sure Mike-- I will check with them. I am thinking the speed sensor has something to calibrating the distance the car is traveling for the meter. I will ask the mechanics questions to get up to speed as to why they use the VSS.

4. TaxiTom

TaxiTom New Member

The output for vss (vehicle speed sensor) is located under the dashboard on the left hand side, close to the left front speaker.
    To get access to it you have to take out the left ventilation outlet, take down and remove the A-post side panel (remember to pull it out from the top and use a plier to take out the plastic fixing to the post) Then loosen the 10mm screw by the speaker and pull the dashboard up appr. 15 cm at the left side (it's easier if you take out the radio frame because the dashboard is connected to it)

You will find a 22 pin contact in front of the speaker and on terminal 18 is the violet wire you need to get the signal.

5. williamstaxi

williamstaxi New Member

Hey Tom,

I just started working on installing a Pulsar 2030 in a 2010 Prius. I have done '06, '07, '08, and '09's without and problems including finding the (purple) or (violet) VSS wire, which I might add there are several of this color wire in the entire car.

Before starting this installation the heater and A/C display just above the bridge was not working and the radiator fan stays on all the time when the car is turned on.

I have tried every single purple wire I can find on the driver's side, including following your directions to the letter, yet, still no VSS.

Do you have any ideas, I'm day 6 into this car and I normally have a meter in and a taxi on the road in 1 to 3 hours.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

6. c64rbr

c64rbr New Member