Can remote start be useful?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by tbaleno, Feb 7, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Today was cold again. I started the car with remote start for about 5 minutes. I parked the car with the gauge showing about 50mpg. When I got in it showed 45mpg. However, the car was warmed up and I was able to get 55mpg on my way in to work today.

Is it possible that I use more gas to propel my car for the first 5 minutes when it is cold than I do when I let it idle 5 minutes and drive an additional 5 minutes with a warm engine?

One thing to note is the first 5 minutes has me hitting about 8 stop lights and signs where I'm going to be idle anyway and with my warmed up car I can get the auto-stop to kick in after the first 5 so for 3 signs where I would normaly be idle I am actualy shut off.

I relize I could turn the car off at all stops but my battery seems to be dropping low when I do that (I have a very large stereo system that is a huge drain on my battery).

2. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Tom;

I think it is maybe more dangerous to drive a vehicle that is left outside and not kept in a garage. If the windows are not defrosted completely so one can see where they are driving and trying to change lanes etc. So I say the remote-start is a good thing as you mentioned in your post about the fact that you can engage the auto-stop feature much quicker with the engine already at operating temperature.

This is just one more thought on the subject. I think it is easier to drive for greater FE when one is not shaking to death from freezing in the car until it finally reaches enough heat for the heater to work. Personally I can't do anything when I am shaking like a leaf in the wind from practically freezing in the car while trying to concentrate on drivng.

Thats just my 2-Cents and did I mention that I am glad that I am located more in the South part of the good ole USA.:p

Terry

3. tbaleno

Boy was it cold today. 2F. Glad I have the remote start. Definately going to use it.

4. tigerhonaker

Man;

And I thought it was like cold here in Tn. Like 29 degrees and Snowing.Not 2Degrees though. BURRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

I'm going to hang out down here I think in Tn. Not Hot but Hotter than Chicago. Remote Start is in.:D

Terry

5. tbaleno

You will have to use remote start for the A/C down there. You don't want to get in to a steaming hot car in the summer.

6. tigerhonaker

Tom;
    That's why I ordered the Alabaster Silver Metallic exterior color on the HCH II.:) This is just not just another {RED-NECK} here.

Not to mention the Full Window Tint.

Terry

7. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Yup, 2F this morning in Pittsburgh also. I'm glad I have a garage. It's not heated, but it is the other half of my basement. One side under ground, one side shared with the finished basement and two sides exposed to the weather. It got down to 40F this morning. Usually it is steady at 45 in the winter. So no need for remote start here:D .

8. tbaleno

lucky you! Grrrr. I'm going to post some pictures of what my car has to endure for the winter.

9. tigerhonaker

Tom;
    That is like going to be great for an up=lift for me here in the South. :rolleyes: It is like 29 degrees now but back to Mid 40's tommorrow. I Hate :mad: the cold weather because part of what I do at the dealership is check in every new Vehicle that comes in on a Carrier. BURR :eek:

Terry

10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I think you guys might have it a bit easier down south compared to where Tom and I live ;) When leaving for work at 04:30 AM the other morning, it was - 8 degrees F! The poor Accord barely and I mean barely turned over. I couldn’t Warm-up P&G, HS P&G, or FAS for fear of taking the battery out given the extremely cold temps and the winds were an incredible 15 + mph from the side that particular morning. 350 miles of this tank were in - 8 to + 6 degree temps and oh how this is going to hurt :( With that, this is going to be my worst ever tank in the Accord with the FCD sitting at a paltry 40.9 mpg’s as she sits in the drive. The Low Fuel light lit up as I pulled into the drive yesterday and this is after an all time low 620 miles. I will probably be staring at a 39 mpg tank after my morning commute if it does not warm up :( I love the Chicago summers but the winters are for the birds …

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

11. tigerhonaker

xcel;

I've got to tell you that 40 + MPG under those driving conditions does not really seem all that bad to me. But who am I?

All, I'm out on Chicago, I could'nt take your Winter there. :mad: I'm like really, completely, forever and ever (OUT). :mad: To-Cold !!!!

Terry
    BTW; I'm staying here in the South.:D