Profiting off Hypermiling?

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by visionseeming, Sep 17, 2008.

1. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

http://www.hypermiling-techniques.com/

This site is trying to profit off hypermiling by asking people to PAY for tips on how to save gas. Is EVERYONE trying to take advantage of people these days...?

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Looks like that's how he counteracts the depression he writes about also.

3. visionseeming

I also love the synthetic computer generated voice he uses in his cheesy video clip.;)

4. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Nameservice by "rich-jerks.com", that's amusing...
    _H*

5. YarSwiss

YarSwiss C'est quoi 'hypermile' en Francais?

Damn, Wayne, that guy beat you to it! Why didn't you think of this? Come on! :p

6. gershon

gershon Well-Known Member

If the book is good, I see no problem with it. It's not taking advantage. It's capitalism. It's not like the price of the book is very high.

Hopefully he does well and the book becomes a bestseller.

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'd rather get Wayne's book. ;)

8. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

Strangely enough I was doing a search on hypermiling, and I forget how I came across another book about hypermiling. I forget the name of it, but the format of the home page was similar to this one. Especially the price they quote.

ETA: In case you want to know it's here. http://hypermilingbook.com/

9. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Plain sad.

___Gershon, give me all the $'s you have earned in the last 2 years because it wasn’t your work, it is capitalism. These jerks stole my methods, ideas and even terms plain and simple.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. gershon

gershon Well-Known Member

Wayne,

Sorry, my post wasn't well thought out. I do have an issue with the term "Hypermiling" in the title of the book as the term was coined by you. I don't know the legal ramifications, but it seems like an ethical problem.

The intent of my post was that I see no problem with people making money from writing a book about saving gas. I should have added that I do see a problem with people using your particular term for it.

I don't know that he used your terms. I won't buy the book to see. But this site is copyrighted by clean mpg. If this is an actual entity, you probably have a case against him.

Awhile back, I mentioned AAA was also trying to steal your ideas. Eventually they will come around to what hypermiling really is and then claim they started it.

My suggestion is to take the best posts out of the archives and quickly write a book. One good thing is the bright green color that is used in the site is a good color for selling a book. If you need a publisher, www.instantpublisher.com is very inexpensive to get a first run going with self-publishing. I think your cost would be about $9 to make a paperback book with a perfect binding with an initial run of 100 copies. I'd certainly pay $19.95 for one plus shipping. You could run the purchase the same way as the scan gauge purchase where people would commit to buying them before you order them.

Be sure to order an ISBN from them, also. Then it can get listed on places like Amazon. You will have to call them to find out how to do this.

With the number of people that pass through this site, I would think you would sell a lot of copies.

A friend of mine visits this site occasionally. His comment was that things are not easily findable for the new person. He would like something like a "How to" book from you.

You might consider two books. One for gas engines and one for hybrids.

Gershon

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Gershon:

___Sorry for snapping at you :(

___Per your PM, I am sure you and I like everyone else has experienced rising stress levels thanks to this administrations Wall Street Bailouts while Billionaires are given parachutes and the common man, woman and child are seeing their standard of living lowered by the minute.

___These jack asses writing books and such are stealing my work let alone doing nothing to help the community in a manner in which everyone contributes here at CleanMPG.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

If someone gets it and finds ANYTHING that was clearly yanked
    off the net from a free source, that's outright plagiarism and
    one could raise high holy hell with the publisher. Well, maybe,
    if they're not in cahoots. There may be legal recourse although
    that would cost real money to go after.
    _H*

13. visionseeming

Furthermore, judging from the appearance of those sites, I and VERY doubtful that there are any real books, and it is just some scam to steal your money. I could have made a site like that in an hour by finding pictures in google/using MS paint.

14. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

They might be e-books or something similar.