Tips on Towing

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by PookieSoup, Jun 24, 2008.

1. PookieSoup

PookieSoup Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I've taken over the duty of bringing the club boat to canine water rescue training, and I'm picking it up tonight from Houston (about 90 miles away from home). I'll be towing it to the training site weekly (60 miles round trip). The boat and trailer are both very light (probably less than 300 lbs).

I just got my scangauge last week, and I'm getting about 28/30 since I've gotten it. Most websites I'm finding are rating the 2002 Honda CRV as 21/25. So far, the only things I've been doing have been coasting, not using the AC, and going much slower. Pretty basic so far.

Does anyone have tips on hypermiling while towing? Thanks in advance.

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Make sure all the tires are up to sidewall pressure - yours and the trailer's.

Even more than normal, I'd keep the speed down. This is for mpg and for safety - the trailer makes a much bigger load on your brakes. With a small one like that, I'm guessing it doesn't have its own brakes, so your 4 tires and brakes are doing the work of 6.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  3. Plan you route! Its been my experience with trailers that stop signs/slow downs kill your mpg. If possible DWL up to speed then try not to stop for any unnecessary reasons. time red lights so you just slow down and not a complete stop.

Dont be that guy at the boat ramp that idles the whole time they are launching :)

4. Jaral

Jaral Well-Known Member

On the other hand, think twice before shutting off your motor with the tailpipe 6 inches under water. It probably would restart fine, but your starter has to do extra work to push all that water out of the exhaust.

5. PookieSoup

Thanks! Luckily, the route to pick up the boat, and from my house to the training site are all highway with just a few stop signs.

Right now, I have all my tires at 35psi (which is the max on the sidewall). I'm planning on inflating both my car and the trailer on the way home tonight. Does 45 psi sound okay for my car? I have no earthly idea what condition the trailer is in. I skipped training last year due to my ankle surgery, so I haven't seen the boat or trailer since.

I should be home by 1 am to report my mpg.

6. Find a different boat ramp. If one is designed correctly your tailpipe should never be under water even during high waters or floods. Good boat ramps are worth a launch fee to.

7. PookieSoup

The good thing about the water rescue boat is that it is light enough for people to just pick up and carry. We don't have to use a ramp.

8. what is it a 14' jon boat?

9. HemiSync

HemiSync Well-Known Member

A picture is sometimes worth a 1000 words. Here are a couple examples of Jon Boats.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    But in case you like the words instead here is the Wikipedia definition of a Jon boat.

10. PookieSoup

It's this boat. I finally got home around 3 am after having my tire pressure gauge break and having to buy at new one before I came home. I got 24.5 mpg. Usually, when I tow, I get 15-17. Now to get this metal splinter out of my index finger from the hitch. Man, does this hurt. This is one of the novice water rescue exercises where the dog pulls in the boat. My late trainer had a jon boat we used, but he sold it to another member of the club.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008