HM Retirement

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by psyshack, May 24, 2006.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Im done with the carpooling in with the wife. And Im done with HM'ing for the time being. Between the idiot drivers, cellphones and the relentless southern winds its just not worth it. Its adding as it is now a hour over all to my day. The wife learns nothing from my efforts and I have to drive into the belly of the beast to drop her off and pick her up.

I will keep the gas logs going untill HM status is lost. This maddness has to stop.

Later
    psy

2. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Psy, cool down man!

Stop posting your mileage and relax. We know what you can do with FE, and you can stop killing yourself over it. Don't get mad, get happy with yourself and your wife. Let the crazy driver's go crazy, get mad and have a bad day. You deserve a good day every day, and so does your wife. As far as the southern wind, enjoy the breeze. Stop fighting to get better, and start enjoying getting better.

You might want to consider an Escape Hybrid FWD for a change from the Honda's. Xcel knows what I'm saying and I think you need change to control the road with an SUV. The smile will do you good. BTW, get two bumper stickers that says "If Your Injured, Call My Law Office" and " I May Brake For Insurance Reasons"

Have a good night Psy!

GaryG

3. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

4. psyshack

Its not that big of a deal and it isnt worth a Ford, muchless a SUV.

Im just done with it. The carpooling, the saving gas to the level that the time needed the leaving early and getting home late isnt worth it. The days are getting very long and very hot now.

The drive from my office isnt bad. I do very little city driving ,, Im on the hwy fast. But at 50 or 55 mph it just takes for-ever. And the never ending drivers that cant merg on a hwy. Where do they come from? The right lane has gotten to be a nightmare. My ave. speed today was 20 mph for a 125 miles. That has to change.

The wifes just going to have to drive herself into that mess she works in. I wouldnt take a job in that mess for $200k a year. Some lady came at us today. here we set parked in traffic. I look in the rearveiw ,,, here comes a SUV Queen clearly rattling off in her cellphone. I knew she wasnt going to stop. I jumped the Civic over a curb and into a persons front yard. The SUV Queen smashed right into the car that was infront of me. The home owner was mad at me cause my car was in his front yard. Told him to go talk to the cellphone queen with her head stuck thru the SUV windshield. She wasnt wearing a seat belt either.

Wife wants to work in a part of town like this ,,, soooo be it. Im out of that mess.

As for my drive,,, it has to get faster. That leaves the hammer lanes. Im just sick of the slow lanes and all the insanity they have. Folks that cant merge, folks that cant keep a steady speed, Its like going backwards. Its just numbing.

Heck I mite even pull the Ranger out and get Sinister on a few folks. Hey remember me the Honda guy..

Stuffs just got to change. :)

5. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Psy;

Interesting, I kinda see what you are saying to some degree. I drive at for the most part (Posted-Speed-Limits) and don't "Hold-Up-Traffic" and it makes my life a whole lot Happier.
    I am at something like 46.1 MPG and have driven Approx. 430 miles on this tank so far and that is at a 6.1 mile drive in the city every day in traffic and stop lights. Have you thought about maybe getting one of the Hybrids? No disc brakes and they have the CVT Trans. but mine seems to work just fine and the FE is excellent (IMO). I really think you would enjoy one if you had it. It will run as fast as the Posted Speed Limits I can assure you of that.

Anyway try to cheer-up some Buddy. :D

6. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

wow... I know that feeling... I've beggining to get that too. Good luck and be safe, but if your going to travel at higher speeds, try your best to give the littlest amount of throttle possible unless you plan to change lanes a lot?

Your cars better be in one piece.

7. psyshack

Had a wonderful drive in this am!

Ran 65 to 75 mph. Made it in in 35 mins. The Civic is so responsive and fun to drive. :)

The SG showed 46 mpg for the road work in. Hand calc's would come in at 44.5 to 45 mpg. I can live with that!

Shift points where between 2500rpm and 4000rpm. I did FAS here and there. Did not use DWL, ice off at lights and no drafting.

It was so nice to just get in a car and drive it. Not hot rod it and not crawl. Just drive.

Also this was with the OEM CAI unhooked, with the air box drawing in warmed air from under the hood. Intake air temp was running around 105f at highway speeds. At hwy speeds with OEM CAI hooked up it would have been in the low 90'sf. Dont know if this helped. But the Civic has a nice little growl of contemp when on the gas now. :)

I feel sorry for the Accord having to go into that mess with the wife. I expect to see its tanks in the mid 20's in a few days.

8. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Psy- I definitely sympathize with you. It's easy to get frustrated by conditions and the rude, inconsiderate freaks who seem to constitute the majority of drivers. Getting flipped off, honked at, and nearly run off the road for no reason can take a pretty huge mental toll. Like others have told me, you just need to put on a thick skin and learn to shrug it off. None of that used to happen to me, either, back when I would just put the V1 in the windshield and drive at whatever speed seemed reasonable without regard to fuel efficiency. However, quitting entirely doesn't help anything. It validates the backwards mentality that results in anguish to those who make an effort toward responsibility. Especially the "get sinister on a few folks" thing, which just feeds into the madness.

The good part of this is the result of this morning's drive from your last post. It sounds like you are using the same driving tactics at a higher speed, and your results look really good to me! 46mpg on the scangauge beats any segment that I've posted to date. If you can keep your sanity and keep those numbers, more power to you. I have faith that you will find your center. Keep us posted!

9. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

I know you were a bit down before, but isn't it amazing how a great drive can get your spirits up? That's why I changed my drive into Orlando. Too many lights and traffic. Now I just take back roads. Mmm, I love the smell of cow pastures and opened farmland in the morning. :D

10. psyshack

I wish I could change routes around. Its just a no go.

If I get off hwy 75 to old 75 it would be about a 17 mile longer drive with two small towns thrown in. Once afew miles south of Tulsa where one could get to the old road,, theres no point to it. As for in Tulsa,, take the most direct route or suffer. Theres no good way out of the wifes area of work. Harvard, Lewis, Peoria and so on are grid lock as are 51st, 41st, 31st.

As for the drive. i dont mind driving. Heck I enjoy it. But leaving the house at 6:30am and not getting in to the office untill almost 8:00am is insane. Or going home, Leave the office at 5:00pm and not getting home until at best 6:15pm if not 7:00pm. My days are just toooo long to blow 1.5 hours on the hwy when my ave drive time before Katrina where 1.5 hr total for the day, insted of basicly 3 hrs. a day. like they have been of late.

People here have started to jam intersections. Cops say they will write tickets for jamming but never do. So when traffic from 4 or more ways all run lights and jam up. Nobody moves. It mite take 10 light cycles to get cars moving again. Tons of rage and several fender benders. Its truley got out of hand. Law enforcement does nothing. But they talk a big story every year on the news.

Im going to leave for the evening drive soon. I hope its as good as the morning drive. The wifes locked up on Lewis right now. I feel sorry for her and I hope she lives thru it. I told her lastnight to get another job. The traffic isnt worth it. She will just set there and idle away and hope a cell phone user dosent hit her.

11. psyshack

SG showed 37 mpg for the trip home with steady 20 mph head winds A/C on, 65 to 70 mph. Took 40 mins to get home with a ave mpg of 41.5 mpg for the day. Even that is better than EPA hwy. Fair to say thats there is 8 miles of city or so in these daily numbers.

I can live with these numbers.

Sorry Wayne

12. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Psy:

___In the end, you have to live with yourself …

___Just remember that the difference between a 65 to 70 mph run for 40 minutes from parking lot to driveway is < 10 minutes vs. 55 - 60 mph run parking lot to driveway. As has been mentioned more then once to a notorious lead foot over at GH, he doesn’t hit 80 mph by the time he hits the bottom of his drive and he doesn’t hit 80 by the time he has left the parking lot from work. The right lanes don’t slow you down to 20 mph when the left lanes are going an average of 67.5 by any means given Tulsa is not any more congested then Chicago. I can understand the need for speed so as to live with yourself but there is a huge difference between what you think you need vs. what you actually need. That 5 + extra minutes is awfully painful in the FE department but that is just me. At least you are using the high speed techniques and I praise you for doing so!

___Good Luck

___Wayne