Yaris and Psy

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by psyshack, Jan 27, 2008.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

A few weeks ago I had to give Yota one last shot at Yaris. I can't seem to get the 3 door out of my mind. With a Sedan living next door and not wanting to blow chow every time I see that stupid center center pod. The wife and I tried yet again to score one or even two Yaris.

We went to both local Yota thug lots with our list.

One,, maybe two: Yaris 3 door hatch in S trim. 5MT, ABS, All Air Bags w/Power Package. None in the Gulf States Region. It was at night and the night dealer manager promised he would have a nation wide search done the next day. The next day I got a call from the day manager. There were five in the country. None could be dealer traded for and freight would be over $1000 ea to have them brought here. I then went to my freight manager gal at work and asked her to get me quotes to ship a Yaris from Maine, Miami, Seattle. None of the quotes were above $500. I then took off to the dealer with my numbers and faxed quotes from company's that haul autos. It went south from there. And they would not tell me where the cars were at.

It was yet another caustic event concerning Toyota. It was at this point the wife and I put all our eggs in the basket for CR-Z.

We have both driven and ridden in the AT Sedan that lives next door. And while we both hate the dash in the car. It brings back very good memories of our Festiva. With the 3 door being its modern equivalent.

Yesterday:

I get a call from one of my wifes co-workers. My wife was in OKC yesterday for a meeting. This lady had just bought a Yaris 3 door. Her and my wife were out chatting about the car. My wife was telling her about us trying to find one or two of the cars. The co-worker notice my wife petting the car. So she called me so I could kid her about it. When she got home I brought it up. The wife said there just cute as hell. Something in her mind wants to pet them and feed them Red Bull! Her words not mine.

So armed with this. I asked her if she wanted to get one anyway. Ran some numbers and did some checking about. She could go to a sedan loaded up with a AT. Trade her Accord and come out even. She declined. While the sedan is ok. Its no replacement for her Accord. And it lacks the cute bug factor the 3 door has.

So it looks like Yaris is done with here. It will just have to be looked at here as smells in a kitchen that take you back to a time when grandmother was cooking or canning. The genital smile comes. you enjoy the moment. Then move on.

I was very impressed with my wifes feeling concerning this whole mess. It was nice to get that glimpse of her. A nice perk of marriage I would say. And all brought about by a little car..... :)

Now should I show her a pic. of the new Fiat 500? LMAO!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. Lugnuts001

Lugnuts001 Well-Known Member

I had been looking hard for a similarly equipped Yaris LB (5M, ABS, side air bags) here in FL. I found two in Naples, but they did not have ABS. I found a left over 2007 S sedan equipped with the above in New Port Richey, and it's apparantly still available. If interested go to http://www.buyatoyota.com/Default.aspx and put in the zip code 34654 and choose Sun Toyota. I too look forward to the CR-Z, but I'd like to get something until then.

Phil

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jeff:

___What would worry me about you two driving a pair is how fast you tire of vehicles and than having two you are tired of!

___The Yaris is one of the best TCO based fuel misers available no doubt and I am sure you could make it sing into the mid-50’s without much work. Heck, I would love to own one myself for local driving in fact! When you load one up to match the Fit’s safety gear however, it is actually more expensive and the interior materials are not up to the same level as that of the Fit or what you are currently used to in your Accord, older Civic and current Mazda.

___If you do find one in the country you are dead set on owning, why not drive it back? As long as there is not a trade, that one is easy. Trading in the Accord for a Yaris even up is a pretty large step down however and I think your wife did the right thing considering if gasoline prices gets that bad in the near future, the Yaris is not going to save us either :rolleyes:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. -mr. bill

-mr. bill Senior Member

The YO unobtainium package. History repeats.

-mr. bill

5. yi5hedr3

yi5hedr3 Well-Known Member

Although I don't agree that going to a Yaris from an accord is a large step down (depends on your perspective, as I would find the opposite true), I am amazed that they are so hard to find out there! Karl Malone Toyota, in Albuquerque, NM has lots of them! :)

6. -mr. bill

-mr. bill Senior Member

You have to understand. He wants a Yaris *with* ABS, side airbags and 5M instead of the awful 4A.

Lots or Yari are available, a few with ABS, fewer still with ABS and side airbags, 0 with ABS, side airbags and 5M. You can search nationwide all you want. It doesn't exist.

-mr. bill

7. psyshack

And power package. :)

I just wanted to share this with the membership. After the events yesterday. It kind of ended up on a heart warming note. I had no intentions of sharing the last trip to the Yota dealers. Just accept there automotive thugs and move on. But yesterdays events needed to be brought up. And they tied together.

Maybe I should explain something about the Festiva. And the wife and I.

She has epilepsy. Before meeting me. It was very hard for her to function within society. Sure she was a wage earner, a x-wife and mother. But life was a real struggle. Seizure was a big part of her life.

Enter psy. I got her to see different docs. And we started building a life together. to date Ive never seen her have a seizure. I have picked up the pieces tho. In her mind she could never own a new car. And was lucky to be able to drive. Its taken a lot of time and money to keep a drivers lic. in her purse. And she is not a good driver.

So in 1991 I come home with a new Tracer. It a AT little sedan. She is in tears. Thought she would never have a new car. Wasn't long and she had it dinged up and to the point I wouldn't be caught dead standing next to it. Kind of like her current Accord. :)

So I went and purchased a green little new 1992 Festiva GL. So to make a long story short. The Festiva ended up being the wifes car. She taught herself to drive a 5mt. We taught all three of our daughters to drive a MT in it. And made them all test out in it for the drivers lic. One morning I got up and went to drink coffee on the front porch. A few mins. later here came the wife in Festiva. I was amazed!!! And it didn't have a dent in it. She confessed at that time she had been getting up early for sometime and sneaking off in the car teaching herself to drive the MT. Being very careful to not leave a trace in the car. I never caught on until that morning. Within a few weeks. I wasn't driving my Festiva anymore.

It was a important part of our relationship. And it helped to liberate my wife. While she insist her Accord be a AT. If yard sales are on her agenda or swap meets. Or a kid wants to move some stuff around. She saddles right up in the Ranger... And shes off.

So looking at a Yaris 3 door makes us smile. To bad Toyota as a whole makes us want to run and scream.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That's a beautiful story, Jeff -- thanks for sharing! :)

Watch out if you get that CRZ with a manual, though. ;)

9. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

I don't wish to derail this thread with the kind of argument that can go on and on, but IMHO ABS is a waste of money. If you already know how to pump your brakes then ABS actually provides a longer stopping distance. Besides, with all the snow I put up with I sleep better without ABS.

If you were to drop ABS from your list of necessities I bet you could find what you're looking for rather quickly.

10. yi5hedr3

yi5hedr3 Well-Known Member

Interesting, when I bought mine I insisted on Auto (the only way to go), and they only had the one. All the rest were the awful 5M's. (Again, one man's poison ....)

Must be that we have them all! :)

11. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Bailout, that is probably true when young, but as we age we need all the help we can get when on ice! H

12. psyshack

ABS or nothing. Its worked out very good in any car Ive bought since its become (a) standard.

As for snow and ice. We don't get much. But I can share with you ABS is a life saver in the Accord. The pulse rate can be controled in the Accord. Its really neat how it works. maybe Wayne could bring in a idea on it. I can make it barely thump or make it zing.

I don't know about the Mazda yet. The Civic was like the Accord. The truck only has ABS on the rears. It helps when the bed is empty.

13. 98Contour

98Contour Member

Check Carmax for new toyota! enough said! Good luck!

14. RningOnFumes

RningOnFumes Well-Known Member

Touching story Psy. I started thinking "if he could be a bit more comprismising with the options...." Then you posted your story, I understand now. Well, the power package should take care of all you want (even abs) besides side airbags and 5spd. I forget if dealors charge for orders or not, but have you tried that route? Someone did suggest buying the car where you found it and driving it home? And lastly, though it maybe hard, if you could forego the side airbags, maybe it would be a tad easier?

15. -mr. bill

-mr. bill Senior Member

re: 98Contour

Wow. Four Yari unobtaniums in Delaware. Choice of color even, Red White or Blue.

So Psy, don't give up hope. If you want one, look harder.

-mr. bill

16. psyshack

I was told there is 5ea. in the coutry at the time. But with a up front $1000 shipping and they wouldn't tell me where they were at. It was just more caustic Toyota stuff. I wouln't drive to Delware, Maine or Seattle for instance to pick up my mother much less a car. So I proved in a few mins. they were gigging me with the $1000 transpotation cost.

As fawn as the wife and I are concerning Yaris its not worth all that.... IE caustic Yota dealers.....

17. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

I don't care for the way the South East Toyata dealers treat people. We looked at a Prius and found the option/pricing list confusing. I think they do it on purpose to confuse the buyer. I like Honda's approach better. One or two trim levels, and that's it.

18. littlejoe

littlejoe New Member

My Yaris is a 2008 Liftback with ABS, side airbags, 5-speed manual trans, power package, mud guards, rear bumper protector, spoiler. Total was $13,800.

I used CostcoAuto, it told me which participating dealer was closest. I went there, told them what I wanted, they didn't have it so they did a special order. I paid dealer invoice. No haggling. The only rub was waiting ...typical is 60-90 days, since all Yaris are built in Japan, and custom orders take longer.

But to get EXACTLY what I wanted was, to me, quite worth it ....especially since it was at what I considered a very good price!

So it CAN be done ....it's just that the dealers don't stock it :)

19. invaliddata

invaliddata Well-Known Member

keep calling around until you find another dealer who won't rip you off. You may have to go to another state but you shouldn't have to go that far. How many dealers are within a 100 mile radius? I'd bet they'll deliver the car to you if you aren't super far away.

As tempting as it is, we shouldn't generalize about how bad dealers are. Some are scum for sure, but others are honest people. Too bad that for you the Yaris is so much more desirable than other cars. I can't get over the stupid pod in the dash myself.

20. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Psy,

S trim liftback is new for 2008, I think. And the only ones at my dealer are Automatic. My salesman shoots pretty straight and should be happy to order for you if it can be done. We are 3 hours from you. The Tulsa dealers seem bad about pushing cheap add-ons which puts me off. Advise if interested.

Good luck
    A former Okie