Faith in the average US Driver was restored this morning … A little ;)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by xcel, May 20, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___After enduring the Tour Del Sol drive out last week at minimum speeds for maximum FE, I was more often then not wondering why the rest of the country is driving at 70 + on every major roadway we encountered and how they just didn’t get it? The longer Dan and I drove, the more we saw the procession running at 65, 70, 75, and even higher flying by. It was disheartening to say the least.

___And then a new day dawns. This morning I took a nap in the car before battling the remnants of Chicago’s Rush hour post 09:00 AM. I was traveling Northbound on I-55 with a convoy of 18-wheeler’s all the while maneuvering in and out of close and distant drafts. We were all traveling at speeds of between 60 and 70 mph. The interesting thing that I immediately took note of was that our little convoy was in the left lane passing coupes, sedans, P/U trucks, the occasional SUV, and even other 18-wheeler’s! I hung with this group for about another 10 miles to see if my eyes were deceiving me but the further we drove, the more cars and trucks we were passing! Once onto the 3 and 4 lane areas of I-55 closer to Chicago, I backed her down and hung with the right laners and again to my dismay, 53 - 62 mph was more the norm then the usual 65 - 70 + in the right and middle lanes.

___About all I can add is that it sure is nice some are truly "Getting it" in the Chicago area and I hope to hear more of the same from many of you in your own locales as the days and weeks wear on. It was not just a blessing but a welcome relief to not just be home but to be home and to see possibly as high as 15% of the occupants I was sharing the road with obeying or at least coming a lot closer to obeying the posted speed limits then I have ever noticed in the past.

___There may be hope for us after all?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. Hot Georgia

Hot Georgia Well-Known Member

Sad to say folks here in Atlanta area are going faster.
    Past 3 weeks have been daily head/x-winds..real wind storms, and I think I had a slow truck to find cover behind for only 2-3 of those days.
    Guess it's becuse gas is down $.07 from a couple weeks ago.

3. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

i just watched foxed news that there's going to be a new gasoline tax starting on july. up 3 cents per gallon, but on the good side bikers increased as much as 50%, saving you according to Fox $100 dollars on fuel if you were to drive your car normally.

For us hypermilers I bet that number was like 10$ lol, all in the comfort of our own cars.

4. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

wayne, i wish i had your good news. i still see the friday night procession on my road home, boaters on the way "up north", dodge hemis towing huge waterborn polluters with larger outboards on them that have more HP than 2 of my cars put together. and i am always passed in disdain by tons of hot, noisy chevy 4x4s who spend as much time off the road as i do cooking. i at one time heard one bragging on how much it cost just to fill up the boat. very discouraging.