Rented another car!

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by tbaleno, May 16, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

This time I'm in a cobolt. Its very low end (no power locks, and very basic materials for the interior).

It has an FCD which I'm loving. So far my 2 mile trip from the rental place to work netted me a 30mpg segment. It was still climbing but alas I had to go back to work.

I'll post back what I get on my trip home today.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

___Are you having even more stereo gear installed in your HCH-I?

___About the Cobalt … See next sentence. You are going to need it ;) It does not have an iFCD but only an aFCD, correct?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

ACK!!! A Chevy. Better have a Honda rescue car follow you. If I had driven that car 2 miles,, something would have already fallen off.

4. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

hey now, I got 180K out of my 96 Cavalier, and she was still running perfectly well, except for eating a qt of oil every 2500 miles.

5. tbaleno

Heh. Yeah I noticed it didn't have power windows today. And no, no iFCD.

BTW, guys at lunch were telling me "Why are you turning off the engine. It uses more fuel to start it." Forgive me if I'm ignorant, but I thought that was only with carburated engines. I noticed that idling for 1 minute droped the fcd by 2mpg. Turning it of and on dropped it by .3 or so.

6. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Your lunch buddy doesn't have a clue. IIRC, roughly 30 seconds of idle equates to starting an EFI ICE. Not too sure about a carburated ICEs, but that's not my generation. :p

7. tbaleno

Well, back from work. I was able to get 30mpg on the way home. I guess I did okay. I looked up the mileage and its rated 24/32 so consiering I have no highway in my commute I'm happy.

8. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Tom turning the car off and then starting it carb type motor didnt use more gas. What gets carbs is the accelerator pump. In the first 1/4 of throttle pedal movement the pump squirts a bit more fuel into the primery barrels and some carbs,, ie dubble pumpers and such dumped huge amounts of fuel anytime the throttle was pressed. This is ontop if the idle circuit and your main jets.

9. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

HUM:

Why did (Tom) rent a car? :confused:

10. tbaleno

I'm having my amps mounted instead of just flopping around in the trunk.

I have to make my car all nice for hybridfest ;)

11. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

exel hit it on the mark in terms of predictability ;)