Week of November 26th - December 2nd, 2007

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Happy Monday, all!!

Back after a long weekend, and off to a decent start if you ask me!

28F (21F windchill), 7mph wind from the NW, clear:

1. 53.0mpg for 22.3mi (Home to work)
    The tank is up to 49.4mpg over 94.4mi with 14.1g left.

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Not a bad Monday. I've decided to go back to the highway commute since the time savings are just too big and I'm just not coordinated enough to get out the door on time in the morning. (Takes me a year to wake up.) I'm also experimenting with blacking-out the MFD while I drive to see what happens. I was over 60 this morning so I must be doing something right.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

86.7mpg at 38F - not bad considering everybody is done with Thanksgiving.

4. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

sigh, here lately the traffic has been getting worse and worse when I leave work. Its pretty much backed up to the station with stop and go driving (max 5mph) for the first 1.5 miles I leave before I can turn off and get on my back road. It killed my average as I was sitting in the low 30's when I finally got onto the home stretch. I ended the commute home with a paltry 66.8. :mad: I'm sure it didn't help that the roads are still wet from the rains we had yesterday.

I think there might be a way to bypass the majority of the traffic by taking a cut through a subdivision but I'm not sure how far traffic is normally backed up the other direction on my back road, so it might prevent me from making a left hand turn onto the back road, but this route might actually be shorter. I'll try it out when I leave work on wednesday.

Oh well, I have several trips I need to make today to help put up several christmas trees and then the commute to my parents to help them out. Hope to at least pull the day average back up to my tank average.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Cold and damp. 43F
    49.7 mpg / 9.9 miles to work
    tank at 52 / 39 miles

6. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

back to the grind. i find it interesting that in my 43 mile drive to work i can so often see the same people in the same place. as i was driving along this one stretch where speeders often pass me, only to go down to a 40mph limit, i again noticed that a driver was going the same speed i was and hanging back several car lengths. it was the same black prius that has done this before. power to the hybrids!

had lunch with my sister and as we were discussing life, i got another lecture about driving too slow and did really think that doing that and having a bumper sticker on the car was going to change anyone? and that if i drove regularly in the cities i would have to drive to keep up with everyone. wrong, sis. but thanks for reminding me why i am so glad not to live there anymore.

71.1 to work

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

67 MPG to work from m'lady's house. Not bad considering temps in the 40s and damp roads.

8. desdemona

desdemona Well-Known Member

33 degrees and only one stoplight and I still barely made 40.9 or something.
    Yuck!

Maybe after the rest of my tune up (planned for Thursday anyway), I'll do the permanent block. I also threw a space blanket over the engine last night. I think had some minor effect.

--des

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Nice work, Tim! :thumbs_up:

Chuck, hitting that close to 90mpg at that temp is fantastic. :D

Andrew, did you take the other route to work?

Keep trying, Blake!! At my former job I actually found that because of the traffic I could add 11mi to my commute by heading away from home and looping back and get better mileage (and use less gas?!?) than the direct, stopped route. Keep an eye on your usage and you may find that something similar works for you...

Laurie, you've got the experience in the city around here to back you up. You rock!!! :Banane09:

Jim, excellent! :flag:

Desdemona, wow have you improved! We're into "I only got" territory now at that high over EPA?? Sweet!! :Banane52:

10. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Good to see everyone back from a great holiday weekend! :D

Trip home and back added ~140 miles to the odo, combined with driving around, the tank is at 480 miles, no LFL yet, and 43.1 MPG on the computer.

I did some testing with the Mazda3 - with tires at 46 PSI and temps at ~70F, I can get nearly 46 MPG at a steady 65 MPH cruise. Good for the upcoming trip to NYC (roughly 1200 miles).

11. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Getting used to the scan gauge. Filled up this morning and got 43.2 (calculated) I think people are driving slower since gas went up. Anybody else notice that?

Weather is nice in Miami this time of year. It's in the mid 70s.

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That's right, sean. I've got 4 usable routes, plus a bunch of unusable ones. They are:
    Short - 9.9 mi
    Medium - 10.5 mi
    Long - 11.2 mi
    Self-indulgent afternoon cruise long - 15.5 mi

The first three use the same amount of fuel, with the matching differences in MPG numbers. The last one uses more fuel, so I use it sparingly. I thought I'd try the short one, since I haven't in a while, to see if it was as un-hypermiling-friendly as I remembered. It is. Long stretch of 2-lane road with anxious commuters behind me. BAH!

13. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

This new route will work better leaving work than coming to work... That I'm sure of. It is marginally shorter but it involves making a left hand turn at a stop sign instead of a light. Not really that big a deal depending on how far traffic is backed up on the back road. Traffic is going to opposite direction from me as everyone is trying to get on the main road... which is why its so backed up. Ahh the joys of working 24 hour shifts ;)

As for the normal route, I leave early enough in the morning now that I rarely see anyone on the road. I've started leaving 30 minutes earlier so I can go as slow as I want to coming up to the traffic light and time it just right... plus it pretty much ensures I get one of the two parking spots where I can plug in my EBH at night.

Finished driving around for the christmas tree project and I'm not at my parents house taking care of the horses, goats, and dogs... I've brought my day average up to 72.4 :( and the tank odometer is sitting at 832.4 miles with two ticks showing. Its getting close... I'm not sure I can make it on a normal off day commute round trip again after I drive home and goto work tommorow so I might just end up filling up when I get off work on wednesday.

Unless I'm feeling froggy :D I might just take the one gallon gas can I have and fill that up just incase I run out of gas. although it would be pretty much trival since if I did that I would end the tank with 877 instead of 848 and thats not going to get me to my 900 mile tank. Don't really feel like running out of gas, so I'll just fill up after work :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  14. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Not the best of days for FE but I'm still over the EPA by quite a bunch.;) Temps for me have been 32-33F all day and the wind is from the north at 5-10 with a light to moderate rain. After 31.3 miles I'm at 73.6. I have just over 10 miles to go so I've still got a chance to bump it up a bit.

15. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Still running blind (no ScanGauges..) so not sure on mpg until I fill. Called today to ScanGauge people, found out they sent the units out on 11/09/07!! Appears that the USPS has lost them... they are sending me new ones today. Of course, if the lost ones show up, I'll send them back in a heartbeat, as Linear Logic had no hesitation in sending replacements...it would be the right thing to do.

16. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

The last two segments pulled my daily average down.:( Here are today's numbers:
    1. 69.2-5.8(home to wife's work)
    2. 77.2-9.6(wife's work to my work)
    3. 67.2-9.6(my work to wife's work)
    4. 84.6-6.3(wife's work to home)
    5. 63.2-6.7(home to dentist office via my mom's to pick up my daughter and a short stop at Dollar General Store)
    6. 81.7-6.2(dentist office to home)
    Average for today was 72.8 and the tank is at 72.3 after 291.5 miles.

17. Right Lane Cruiser

Blake, from what you've posted it appears you are getting roughly 30mi per tick? Didn't you say you had 3 left when you were at 800 and now you are at 832 with 2 left? Or is it closer to something like 20mi per tick and you are half way through one of them? Either way, you just blew your record out of the water!! :woot:

Ken, I hope you get the gauges back very quickly now!

Larry, you're still pulling the tank up!! :flag:

I had a rough time of it going home. Part of it was the usual mother on the phone issue... but I had a nice headwind as well, and I kept hitting lights all the way home??? It looks like the neighborhood road got salted and that seemed to slow me down significantly... I couldn't make it up the drive and my wife wasn't home to help (too steep at the point it stopped for me to push from the drivers door). I had to eat 3/10ths to get it in but thankfully I was JUST barely at my goal when I finished. Whew!!! :rolleyes:

36F (28F windchill), 12mph wind from the W, clear:

1. 50.0mpg for 22.2mi (Work to home)
    The tank is up another tenth to 49.5mpg over 116.9mi with 13.6g left.

What a ride... :p

I'd love to have winch in my garage....

18. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

The gauge is definitely not linear, so its hard for me to judge how much gas is actually left. Mainly because I haven't had the car long enough and I've only put in like 6 tanks of gas since I bought it in july. Another reason is because I've exceeded my typical average Its hard to figure exactly when it will stop.

I pulled into the garage tonight with 842.5 on the odometer with two ticks and depending on what the gas gauge is reading when I get to work tomorrow I might just fly another day. I drove pretty long on one tick on the gauge last time and I still had 0.4 gallons left in the tank when I filled up. I'm sure driving another 25 miles won't run me out if I pull into the fire station with two ticks I know I'll be able to make another day, which means I'll easily hit 875 miles. I just want to be careful as I don't want to push it too far ;)

19. Right Lane Cruiser

You are doing very well with only 6 tanks of experience!! I don't blame you about the pushing, but at least you know that with even half a gallon left you can put some serious miles on that car compared to the average 4 wheeled conveyance out there. ;)

20. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

10 minutes ago the Postman delivered the long lost ScanGauges... the one is already back in TorqueNada :) Called Ron and he's going to try to stop the reshipment.