Arrrg!

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by tbaleno, May 11, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

It's one of those days. Rain and wind. I was barely able to bring my car up to 50mpg. I feel like leaving early so I can catch the tail wind back home.

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I feel your pain. It's been that kind of week, and for some reason my number has been 34.3-34.7mpg for just about every trip. From the looks of it the weather here in the Northeast is going to be crappy at least until the end of next week. It's when I see that kind of number trip after trip after trip that I really envy you hybrid guys who get degraded but still very good mileage in adverse conditions.

3. Sledge

Sledge I like owls with captions

I was in the same extended storm this morning that xcel was in. Trip computer dropped 1/2 a MPG. Bleh :(

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

I feel your pain as well, Yom.

Did I mention that they actually said the "S" word on the radio today?
    That's right, in some parts of Wisconsin it will snow today!

5. tbaleno

car read 43mpg for the trip home. Thats probably about 37 or so in reality. I haven't gotten this kind of milage since mid winter. Heavy winds, heavy rain, heavy trafic, cold weather. Not much I could do.

6. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

wow i forgot how badly my trip were in the rain, but on a clear today i scored 47 mpg on the way there, and 45 mpg on the way back. Cold start on the first trip, and half heated engine on the way back, 10.6 mile trip!

Its awesome when you time the lights with the engine off, really makes you feel that speed does not beat this race at all :D

anyone can do it... as long as you have stick :p

7. tbaleno

Whew. It felt good to see numbers above 55 on the FCD today. I hope the weather turns around so I can get a decent tank this time around.

8. Hot Georgia

Hot Georgia Well-Known Member

Wind advisories here in Georgia.
    For the past few days it has been a cross wind which is bad enough, but now it has swung around for a direct headwind for my afternoon commute.

I usually find shelter behind big trucks (not drafting) but yesterday no such luck.
    I reduced my speed further to 55 in a 70, as long as nobody was behind, then had to gradually build speed on downhills to around 60-65 and let the approaching pack pass by.

55MPH zone I cut it down to around 50-52MPH, still no shelter from the wind.
    A real fight all the way into Atlanta (Heading SW) and parked at 57 point something on the dash.
    This is a bit short of what I usually do for this 1/2 segment and earned every bit of it.

Today (Sunday) it's still so windy and I plan to try a different way other than freeway.
    There is another side road to investigate. At least I'll have tree cover for a wind break.

This paticular road is about 4 miles of mainly downhill. It should be very light traffic with a few stop signs. I figure I can either FAS or regen on the trip down.
    Sounds like a great hypermiling road, right?
    The last 3/2 mile or so is a very steep hill and some nucklehead placed a stop sign 1/4 way up this hill.

Can't have it all I guess.

9. Hot Georgia

Hot Georgia Well-Known Member

Oops
    Should be last 3/4 mile.

And the worst part is I get off at 2:00AM and the wind is gone so I get zero benefit.

10. tbaleno

Time to get some kind of saw and remove that sign. ;) "But officer I didn't see any sign" As he looks in the back seat with hint of a stop sign poking out from under a tarp.

11. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

The causeway here is a great FE boost; if you catch the 3 lights on green, you can coast over two miles from the incline. However, at the very bottom of the bridge . . . is a light. Then an incline. Then another light. Then a 4-5 minute light. Grr. :rolleyes: