Week of October 8th - October 14th, 2007

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by brick, Oct 8, 2007.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Another Monday.

The new route wins, at least on Columbus Day. I pulled 72.7mpg door to door and it took about five minutes longer than the highway. Works for me.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Way to go, Tim! You sounded like me as you described your new route find. I've had good alternates under my nose for weeks before realizing they're there.

Another cold-ICE start this morning. 67 MPG on the short ride from my fiancee's. I didn't have a chance to troubleshoot the block heater problems this weekend. :(

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Nice going, Tim!! :Banane49:

Jim, sounds like you might have a fault in the cord? For cold starting though, 67mpg isn't bad at all!!

Plenty of rain today and lots of red lights. :( The first part of the trip was a bit depressing the way the numbers stayed down, but I got 'em back up at the end. :)

57F, lots of rain but no wind, overcast:

1. 51.8mpg for 22.3mi (Home to work -- lost a couple of tenths to the SG not staying on during one FAS)
    The tank is now back up to 50.7mpg over 711.4mi with 2.0g left and the guess gauge is showing 3 needle widths over the E mark.

I hope I can do as well on the way back to the house this afternoon as it continues to rain!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

On Sunday I had to jump-start the truck (1987 Mazda B2000) with my civic. It took maybe 5 minutes, but dropped my tank by a 1.2 mpg. I brought some of it back up this morning.

62.6 / 11.3 miles = 56.8 / 108 tank.

Sean... 800?

5. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

like we needed more rain. there was 2 inches in our gauge just from what we got over night......

62.8 into work, in the rain, humid, yuk

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Andrew, it looks like you and Laurie are holding down the fort with the 60's!!! Just AWESOME!!

I've been flirting with the 800mi tank for a while now, haven't I. Hm... I'm not sure I can hack it. :eek:

Let's see. 22.0mi back to the house, another 44.5mi tomorrow if I want to take it that far... putting me at ~778. Assuming I stick to my normal 0.4g per trip in spite of the rain that leaves me with 0.8g in the tank. Yikes! If I could last until getting back from work on Wednesday that would put me at 822.5 on an empty tank, but the capacity I work from was purposely set lower than what I think I have...

I'm going to have to think about this. :eek:

7. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Slept through the alarm this morning! :eek::eek:

Thank goodness for lenient bosses. ;)

Upheld 41.8 MPG, LFL came on at 466 miles, so it looks like this might be a 550 mile tank after all. :D

8. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Monday, Monday... decent 34.4 mpg from cold and with only 1 FAS, and otherwise didn't shut down the ICE, partly an experiment and partly that my right hand is so sore and temporarily weakened that I couldn't turn the key :eek: Tank is at 37.7 for 169 miles.

Its sore because I went with my son, my neighbor and his son up to near Park Falls WI and rode 4 wheel ATVs over the weekend. Went up in a classic 1977 GMC 6-wheeler motor home and towed 2 ATVs on a dual axle trailer. It was a blast... I did do some very mild hypermiling in that monster, got better mileage than neighbor ever did before. Neighbor and I both needed the 'get away from everything' time, as short as it was.

9. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

So your screen-name really has meaning now, SlowHands. ;)

10. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

LMAO - hadn't even thought of that - Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning!:D

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tim:

___Oh boy does it look like you found something nice!

___Sean, rain, cold, and winds and you still pulled a segment better then your best tank? I think you did great!

___Andrew, 60 + from a non-hybrid Civic is still kicking @$$ :D

___Laurie, 60 + in the rain? Lean-burn disappears in that kind of condition so 60 was all by yourself!

___John, a gallon container in the trunk on the last segment makes your goal a slam dunk. Just in case you don’t make it, at least you are prepared ;)

___Ken, hypermile what ever you own and drive is always a great goal! For your next need to get a way, head off to your local library and lose yourself for a few hours. It saves a lot more gas that way :)

___Possibly my last trip through this hell for a good long time. 65 – 69 degree temps and a 5 – 10 mph head wind allowed 55.9 into the work parking lot this morning. 78 – 85 degrees and a 5 – 10 mph tail wind coming home. Hit the Interstate at 65.3, dropped to 59.6 out in the open with a few slow downs before climbing back to 63.3 at the O’Hare – I-294 and I-90 4 mile stop and crawl disaster. Dropped back to 58.1 and pulled her back to 60.5 by the time I entered the drive.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Another pretty good day here. The wind was a bit breezy at 10-15 mph from the southwest and the temps were ~65F in the morning and I saw the temp on the FCD hit as high as 91F.
    1) 74.6-5.9
    2) 81.6-6.4
    3) 85.3-5.3
    4) 77.3-1.5
    5) 120-7.8
    Average for today was 87.8(day 22 at 80+) and the tank is at 84.4 after 944.1 miles and the last pip started blinking at ~919 miles. Should I push it to 1K?;):D :sound-of-strapping-in spare-1-gallon-tank::D

13. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

What an awesome day...Downpour...I got the wind ...both ways?*again*...1/2 way to work "whats that smell?" ...domelight on ...grab shoes...NICE!!! Out the window they went(yeah I know- litterbug... shoot me) ...windows DOWN the rest of the way (15 miles)...did I mention downpour?... car still stinks to high heaven on top of being soaking wet...by tomorrow outta be nice and ripe...
    44.8/32.5 mi
    45.9/32.5 mi
    todays tank 45.6/ rollover
    good news- tank overall is still on an upswing 42.7/104 (104.0 odo)
    oh yeah !Got a job offer in Utah (not the one I applied for )...$2k less a year,more work and crummy hours ...as an alternative offer and local ...less pay ,more hours, crummy job ...Oive'! Me an' Jose' are goin on sabbatical ...rough day .night .

14. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

ok, wayne, you need to explain yourself about the last trip. are you getting a new job? a new route? a helicopter? what's up?

15. diamondlarry

Yeah, details? 'cause if you found a way around the traffic of Chicago I want to know before I come up at the end of the month.:D

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Laurie and Larry:

___Possibly no longer employed 90 + miles away from home and now full time dedicated to CleanMPG for what that is worth :rolleyes: I hope this works for my sake???

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

Larry, if I remember correctly, my last pip started blinking around ~940 miles, and I quit at 1051. I kinda now wish I knew how far she would go on an 80+ mpg blinking pip tank instead of "110 miles before I just gave up". Maybe you can provide us that service. :)

At any rate, you are hopefully clear for ~1030. After that, good luck soldier. ;) That's uncharted blinking pip territory for me.

18. diamondlarry

That sounds like some exciting news! For CleanMPG anyways. If you have any full-time positions available, I have a job I might be willing to give up at a moments notice.:D

19. diamondlarry

It seems that I went ~110 miles on my first 1K tank before I chickened out and filled as well. I just did some quick calculations and, if I can go by the FCD reading of 85.0(SG says 84.4) and I can get the 12.05 gallons out of the bladder I got last time, I'm good for ~1024 miles. Since my odometer is under-reporting by 1.6%(verified this on my trip to/from Cedar Point in July), I only have to hit ~1007 or so on the odo to hit 1024.

20. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Wayne,
    I don't know if I should congratulate you or send my condolences, but I hope everything works out in the end!

Not such a great trip home. Traffic wasn't too bad but I mistimed every light save one or two. The tank is down to 70.2mpg, which puts the trip somewhere in the mid to high 60s. But hey, it's better than mid to high 50s!