YouTube: Future Prius will do 62mph in EV

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by Chuck, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

2. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

If Toyota is doing deep redesign on this, then there are some obvious changes ("fixes") they might consider.

1. No more forced S1 - Kinda pointless to warm up an engine that might not be used (since you have a 37 mi EV range). They could limit this behavior for when the car starts 6 or more bars. S1 could be re-enabled at 2 bars or something.
    2. Put the EV switch back in for all cars - By starting with EV on by default you could get point 1 for free.
    3. FCD that reports 0.0 to 999.9 MPG - Could conceivable get most any miles on a gallon.
    4. FCD that also reports Wh/mile - Remember PHEV efficiency is (watt-hours used + gal gas used) per mile.

Ultimately, I'd prefer that they come up with a conversion factor for counting gallons at kWh or kWh as gallons so you could just have one number. Call it equivocal MPG or equivocal Wh/mi. Based on current data 14.4 kWh = 1 Gal is pretty close green-house-gas-wise, but that conversion factor isn't static. It changes from country to country to country and from year to year. Cleaner countries would be more like 20 kWh = 1 gal, and dirty countries would be closer to 10 kWh = 1 gal.

I suppose they could have that as a programmable value... a little sliding bar like the display contrast. One side says clean kWh other side says dirty kWh...

|||||||||||||-----------------
    Clean . . . . . . . . . . . Dirty
    kWh . . . . . . . . . . . . kWh

Anything I missed?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Dan, my suggestion is related to to your first point: I think S-1 should be tied to coolant/cat temp and not just because the car was turned on. There is no reason for S-1 if, for instance, you pop into the bank for 10 minutes or less. I generally leave the car powered up if I'm only going to be 15 minutes or less. Points 2-4 would also be on my list of changes that I would like to see.

4. Dan wrote:
    If Toyota is doing deep redesign on this, then there are some obvious changes ("fixes") ... Anything I missed?

Just one thing:
    5. Let whoever designed the exterior of the 2007-2008 Camry have a shot at the Prius. :D

When we were shopping for a new car (eventually settled on a '08 TCH), my wife said that she wouldn't let me park a Prius in our garage because she thinks it's ugly.

Chris