New Owner 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD model LE

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by alster, Jul 2, 2020.

1. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Last month my wife and I purchased a new 2020 Highlander Hybrid All Wheel Drive base model LE. I was also looking at the 2020 Rav 4 hybrid but the tow limit is 1,750 lbs. The Highlander Hybrid is rated up to 3,500 lbs, our travel trailer when loaded is at about 3,100 lbs so we purchased the Highlander.

This tank the reading on the dash gauge is 43.3 MPG with about 250 miles. I will fill it up to see if the gauge is accurate compared to our 2010 Prius which we sold prior to buying the Highlander. I know our 2010 Prius was always off 3-3.5 mpg on gauge. If it read 50 MPG when you filled up the actual MPG miles divide by gallons would be around 46-47 MPG give or take a few points.

We are quite pleased with the Highlander so far even 40 MPG with a nearly 5,000 lb vehicle with my wife and I inside is excellent...

2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Very nice! Congrats!!

xcel and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  3. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Update on our 2020 Highlander hybrid AWD model LE. So far averaging over 40 MPG in mixed driving. I am on fuelly.com under Pearl. I have noticed the odometer is off based on Oregon Dept. of Transportation 5 mile measured mile markers on Interstate highway 5 between Salem and Portland Oregon. The odometer is off about 1.5 miles or perhaps a little more for every 100 miles. So if the odometer states 100 miles you traveled at least 101.5 miles based on my findings.

The gas tank capacity is rated / stated at 17. 1 gallons. When I filled up, where I was allowed to in Eastern Oregon, when the pump stopped on the low setting I was able to put in over 4 more gallons of gas. Also when I filled up I had visible standing fuel in the gas tank filler neck. I filled up again after driving 324.6 miles stated on the odometer. The fuel gauge read a little under 3/4 tank. The dash mpg readout was 44.4 MPG. I filled up to the standing fuel at filler neck and the pump stated 7.304 gallons, that was 4 more gallons after the pump had clicked off. Calculated based on miles divided by gallons was 44.44 MPG. Based on the odometer being off actual miles traveled was 329.4 miles and calculated mpg was 45.098 mpg. Our 2010 Prius which we have now sold, was always off 3-3.5 mpg consistently. If the gauge read 50 MPG you actually obtained 46.5 - 47 mpg based on miles divided by gallons. We had 185,000 miles on it when we sold it, a great car no mechanical issues and I changed the oil and filter every 10,000 with Mobil One Synthetic Motor oil (0w20), and it never used any oil between those changes.

I don't know of any full size SUV like the 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD that has the ability to tow 3,500 lbs, and carry people, 7 passengers and of course the driver that can deliver this kind of mpg's. Also no belts to change, no serpentine belt etc. If somebody knows of a vehicle of this size and AWD that can deliver mpg's like this or more please let us know.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Let's all buy a vehicle that drinks more fuel than our previous vehicle !

Isn't that the American way ?

5. alster

alster Well-Known Member

We purchased a 3,000 lb travel trailer which the RAV 4 hybrid is not rated to tow, (only 1750 lbs), and of course our past 2010 Prius and our other vehicle a 2016 Chevy Volt could not tow. The highlander Hybrid was the most fuel efficient vehicle I could find that has the ability to tow 3,500 lbs and All Wheel Drive which we will now use frequently during our retirement years. We still have our 2016 Chevy Volt which has been obtaining over 50 mpg just on the gasoline engine, beating our Prius, and we can still drive 60 miles in summer on 100% electric and 45 miles in winter on 100% electric.

6. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Congrats on your Hi-Hi! Thanks for posting your real world mpg. I switched 2 1/2 years ago from a 2012 Camry Hybrid to a Subaru Forester. I get just under 32 mpg overall in 40k miles mixed driving. The new highlander is on my radar if we ever decide to go bigger SUV.

7. I usually like your posts, but c'mon. Their situation changed. One vehicle that can pull their camper. A Prius can't.

This site is 'learn to increase mpg in whatever you drive'.

Almost everyone welcomed me when I came here with a one ton straight piped tuned diesel and through my journey with cargo vans and a scion, volt, and into the GMC Sierra I have now. It suits me well. There could have been a better FE choice but I'm trying to increase fe in whatever I drive as is the original poster

8. EdwinTheMagnificent

You're right. I should lighten up.

9. litesong

litesong litesong

You’ll get better MPG.

xcel, RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

Or at least better than a Highlander Hybrid.

xcel likes this.
  11. alster

alster Well-Known Member

It appears that the MPG's keep improving on our 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD model LE. This tank with nearly 140 miles the dash MPG gauge has been reading 47.5 mpg when I parked it in the driveway last night. The fuel gauge needle is between 3/4 and Full. Speeds range from 25 MPH in town to 55-60 MPH on the highway,, US Highway 101 on the Northwest Oregon Coast where we reside. Yesterday I went down to the Tillamook area fishing and landed a beautiful 8 lb Summer Run Steelhead and only used a little more gas than our 2010 Prius would have used.

xcel, BillLin and DaveJ like this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Hey , 47.5 MPG is not bad for a large vehicle like that.

13. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I have one in the drive as I type as well!

2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

[​IMG]
    All 84.3 cu. ft. of goodness behind the front seats.​

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  14. alster

alster Well-Known Member

Update: 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD model LE

158.8 miles on the tank with 48.2 MPG stated on the dash. Gas is Costco 87 octane reg. with 10% ethanol. Speeds range from 25 MPH in town to 55-60 MPH on the highway. We live in Northwestern Oregon in Seaside. MPG"s appear to be improving as well. When towing our Jayco Baja travel trailer which weighs 3,000 lbs and stands quite high for back woods camping, (not aerodynamic), last check was 17.5 MPG. I drive conservatively but I keep up with traffic.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

Driving to catch up to traffic that is already over the speed limit, is doubly NOT driving conservatively. The only thing you’re NOT doing that could possibly be labeled as conservative, is NOT passing traffic that is already over the speed limit on a 2 lane highway. But I bet you move past traffic on the freeway..... that IS over the speed limit.

16. Dorean Clarke

Dorean Clarke Active Member

Keep calm and drive safely.

17. litesong

litesong litesong

....by NOT “keeping up with the traffic”?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020