Week of July 30th - August 5th 2007

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by brick, Jul 30, 2007.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Here we go again!

A pretty good run despite people acting a little crazier than usual. I managed about 64mpg into the lot, 62.9mpg for the tank. A crane "drafted" me this morning...that was a first. Him thinking that his high beams would speed me up was not a first. Didn't work.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

my easy backroad route in is out of commission due to construction. it would take more distance to be able to drive as slow as i usually do, so i am back on the 4 lane. first time since the display starting acting up, and driving 60 made for a difficult time holding my MPG. i ended up with 60.5, but the car is still acting strange. when i accelerate at all, the bars dive to about 20MPG. this is just not normal. i had to do heavy duty pulse and glide (the highway version of getting to 60 and then drifting down. rinse and repeat).

i watched wayne's video from HF, and he mentioned air filter. which made me start thinking.....the car started acting up after i drove quite a ways on a dirt road a week ago. possibly it just pushed the filter over the edge. i am going to get a new one today, since i can't remember when or if it's ever been changed. i'll see if that makes a difference.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I tried a new route this morning.

61.8 to work. BUT... it was 30% longer, so I ended up using more gas. That's just not happening.

Tank's at 54.1 / 478 miles. Just saw my first blink of low fuel light, accelerating up a hill from a stoplight. If I make it to Weds it means no fillup at all for July.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Good news - Bad news.

Half tank was 60mpg and think having the car in the shop had something to do with that.

Good news is my best morning communte so far was today at 95.1mpg.

5. SpartyBrutus

SpartyBrutus Hypofueller

Weekend
    - Filled up (626/10.23) for 61.2 mpg - about same as last one and happy I got it up over 60.
    - 55.x over weekend carting family around

69.3/38mi on way in this AM is new PR for this segment
    - 70F, no wind, hit 4 lights but had a truck in front of me for ~ 20mi at 54mph :)

6. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Filled up yesterday for a PR tank:
    44.6 for 418.7 miles.
    Yesterday drove to and from Vermont on Rt 119, a beautiful road but hilly, curvy and slow.
    45.4 for 111 miles
    --Walter

7. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Filled up this weekend - 39.6 MPG by way of 12.549 gal over 495 miles. 90% city.

New tank is at 43.8 MPG over 185 miles with 75% highway.

8. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Decent start to the week, 42.9 for 10.5 miles from home to work. Then not so good to downtown Chicago and back, 30.8 for the round trip through horrible outbound traffic, had to pull off and take surface streets for about 1/2 the return. Tank is at 35.0 for 80 miles.

9. craig

craig Well-Known Member

36.9 mpg for 12.0 miles this morning. Sunny and 72 degrees. Stoplights not very friendly today.

10. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

134 to work. Second best trip ever, just under my 137 best.

Forced stage 4 at a red light 2.5 miles in sitting at 144mpg. I'm usually at 125 tops at that red light, and I'm unsure what I did to hit 144. Couldn't hold that record setting pace though for the rest of the trip. My only guess is that the windows were up instead of cracked. Who knows. More fun experimentation.

Tank is up to 81.5 / 250 miles / all 10 pips. Started the day at 79.9, so I should be able to easily hold 80+ by the time I get back home.

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with the car, Laurie!! :(

I got to work okay and managed another not bad number on the way as well. :D

77F, no wind, sunny:
    1. 46.0mpg for 19.7mi (Home to work)
    SG reports 46.2mpg over 317mi (317.5mi ODO) with 9.2g left and the guess gauge indicating 5/8ths remaining.

12. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

I took the Mazda to Ft. Smith yesterday.

It went very well with the mpg in the mid 40's for the trip over. Very impressed with this cars ablity's to Okie FAS.

Then it went downhill.

My friends in Ft. Smith wanted to drive it. So with the AC on and driving the car like most people do. It took a mpg hit.

We visted for several hours then I left. I had high hopes of recovering some from the mpg hit my best buds left me with. But it kept on going down hill. Hit big rain storm. And to top it off the road was foaming. Looked like somebody leaked soap on the hwy. That was fun. TCS was working. :) I cleared all of that. Then all the State Troopers came out of hiding and scrambled to a wreck or something else where. That was a mistake on there part. The traffic speed picked up well into the 90 mph area. No way I could run 55 or 60 with that kinda speed coming at me. So I sinned.... BIG TIME!!! I just let the Mazda go. And GO it did!

Pics in the gallary. I will take my flames like a man.

Tank was good for 38 mpg,,, including sinful behavior.

psy

The ubber high speed was close course.....

13. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Don't you love how you can "sin" in the Mz3 and still be ok? ;)

14. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I had a pretty good start to the week. I started out with 65F and the temp got as high as 87F. Winds were light with gusts to ~15 mph.
    1) 73.4-5.8 miles(home to wife's work)
    2) 84.9-9.6(wife's work to my work)
    3) 81.8-9.7(my work to wife's work)
    4) 99.8-7.0(wife's work to home)
    Average for today was 84.2 and the tank is at 82.6 after 305.2 miles. At this rate a 900 mile tank is a lock and 1K is within reach.

15. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

How's that go ? Oh yeah ...another hoe-hum drive
    52.3/33.2 mi a.m.
    52.7/33.4 mi p.m.
    52.0/66.4 mi todays tank
    51.0 / 217.6 overall tank

Hoe-hum... LOL ... makes me grin ! :D

16. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

Chris doesn't post too much here, so I'll do it for him. I was perusing the logs at greenhybrid, and noticed that he followed up his 1000 mile tank in June with another 1000 tank in July.

17. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Tank back down hill again. After coming so close to 63mpg this morning I got caught in a truly monumental wind/rain storm on the way home. The iFCD showed the hit immediately after the roads started to get wet and it only got worse with 2-3" of rain on the roads plus head and side winds blowing a steady 30mph with gusts over 40 by my reckoning. I just tried keep it on the road (visibility sucked) while the meter plummeted. Now back to 61.8mpg.

The only nice thing is that this car handles really well in the rain. Having the nice hard tires seems to help them bite rather than squirm.

18. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

went camping from july 27 to july 30th, just filled up today and averaged 40 mpg in high aggressive highway driving (60 MPH + using B mode for every tight corner, so many twisities!) with full load limit weight. As well used the prius as a generator for 12+ hours drawing 250 watts peak, overall best camping tool on the planet.

19. HyChi

HyChi Well-Known Member

Hey, Phil. I love the versatility of the Prius.... using it as a generator. Sure sounds like it comes in handy! Maybe my next vehicle will be a future generation Prius.
    Meanwhile, my HCH2 is having a good stretch. I was up to 65+ on my commute to the office and held it to 57 on my return trip home. It sure does love this warm weather.:)

20. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

Sunday I discovered the water pump on the Camaro was leaking. Today I hitched a ride to the toyota dealer and bought a Yaris, I'm sure my FE will improve :) (I'll be ordering a scanguage soon)