Q: Chasing Ignition timing angle?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Appletank, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Appletank

Appletank Lightly toasted

Can anyone explain what this does? I saw a thread about holding angle 14 or 30, not sure of stuff after it.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi AppleTank:

In the Gen2 Prius, you use a ScanGauge to maintain a set IGN while driving with load (DWL). That is a very high efficiency area for higher speed driving. Gen3 never really had much to offer beyond the Gen2 in this regard.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. Appletank

Thank you Wayne

Is there a similar number for non hybrids?

- Appletank

xcel and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Appletank, what gauges do you have available to you when you're driving? What do you drive? Knowing these things may help people provide helpful comments. Thanks.

xcel likes this.
  5. Appletank

2008 toyota matrix, the obd app i use has a bunch of gauges that for the most part i don't understand, but the ones I'm currently using are:
    Instant mpg
    Trip mpg
    Fuel rate (gal/hr)
    Ignition timing advance (angle)

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Also consider:
    - Coolant temperature (CTS) - to let you know when the engine is fully warmed.
    - Throttle position (TPS) - to allow you to find the lightest pedal touch (lowest TPS value) to maintain a given road speed.
    I also keep battery voltage on the display for those times when you're at a long red light and you're key on / engine off and not wanting to run the battery down.

BillLin, Appletank and xcel like this.