Zion National Park with the 2020 Jeep Wrangler and a 3.0L EcoDiesel

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 7, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Far too fast but enjoy one of America’s most beautiful National Parks anyway!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November 6, 2019

Springdale, UT -- The Jeep PR team brought in a cadre of Journalists in from all over the U.S. to review the all-new 2020 #Jeep #Wrangler with the 3rd gen 3.0L #EcoDiesel. The location provided a unique back drop to drive one of the most radical new vehicle introductions I have experienced.

Details regarding the 2020 Jeep Wrangler w/ the 3rd generation 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel are embargoed until Tuesday Nov. 12th at Noon EST and there will be a lot of interested Off-road driving parties…

Until that time however, how about a drive though of one of America's most beautiful National Parks while behind the wheel of one of the most fuel-efficient Wranglers ever built.

Zion National Park is located in southwestern Utah just outside of the town of Springdale. A prominent feature of the 229-square-mile park is Zion Canyon, which is 15 miles long and up to .5 miles deep! Like Sedona, AZ, Zion's canyon walls are reddish and tan-colored Sandstone eroded by the Virgin River.

The park has unique geography and beauty including mountains, canyons, buttes, mesas, monoliths, rivers, slot canyons, and natural arches...

Approximately 8,000 years ago, small groups of Native American Indians settled the area with permanent communities. It was not until the 1860s that Mormons settled the area.

In 1909, President William Howard Taft named the area Mukuntuweap National Monument. In 1918, the acting director of the newly created National Park Service, Horace Albright, proposed enlarging the monument and change the park's name to Zion National Monument. On late 1919, Congress redesignated the monument as Zion National Park, and the act was signed by then President Woodrow Wilson.

The geology of the Zion canyons area includes nine formations that together represent 150 million years of sedimentation. At various periods in that time warm, shallow seas, streams, ponds and lakes, vast deserts, and dry near-shore environments covered the area. Uplift associated with the creation of the Colorado Plateau lifted the region 10,000 feet starting 13 million years ago.

What you see is what you get. Spectacular views at every turn and I hope you do in the fast-paced Zion National Park vid. With the #WranglerEcoDiesel at the forefront.

BillLin likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Wayne, you need to slow the hell down. And your engine was making funny noises.

Why does this Wrangler get the EcoDiesel and not, let's say, the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee? The GC got a 3L diesel for an engine option a few years back.

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Lucky! I want to visit Utah on my next western road trip.

4. xcel

Hi Jay:

Sales. The GC Limited and above trims were in place just in case we hit $6.00+ gasoline. The Wrangler is an entirely different animal. After spending some time with a number of off-road enthusiasts and pros, they are willing to spend thousands to tens of thousands of $s for an additional 100 lb-ft of torque and rock crawling speeds at idle. The Wrangler with the EcoDiesel adds exactly that. It will make an absolute novice like myself into an intermediate deep and steep off-road driver. Wait until you see what they had me drive over in another vid after the embargo has expired.

Wayne

BillLin and Jay like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

After googling a bit it seems that the 3.0L Ecodiesel is on temporary hiatus while the EPA recertifies it. Wasn't Fiat/Chrysler accused of cheating with the Ecodiesel? Maybe that's why they pulled it from their lineup? I have not followed the story closely so I could be mistaken. In any case, the engine is reportedly coming back and will be re-offered in the models that lost it.

BillLin likes this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin MASS: 2018 Bolt EV and 2017 Prime

Hopefully outdated news.

7. xcel

BillLin and Jay like this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Very informative links. Thanks.