Honda Moves Up Its European Vehicle Electrification Timetable!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 4, 2019.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 100% of its European automobile sales will now be electrified by 2025.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – March 5, 2019

Honda e Prototype for Europe

[​IMG]

The Honda e Prototype includes a retro hatch design with smooth contours, stepless A-pillars, flush ‘pop out’ door handles – aka Tesla, and aerodynamic camera based side view mirrors.

Beneath the skin is an all-new, EV-specific platform that allows for compact proportions, while a relatively long wheelbase, wide track and short overhangs facilitate exceptional maneuverability.

The retro theme stands out inside as well with flat horizontal interior bits including sofa like fabric often found in older homes. The highlight feature is the walk-through flat floor in both the front and rear of the cabin.

A customizable dual screen horizontal display features a range of intelligent applications and services.

Screens showing the rear-view images relayed from the Camera Mirror System are integrated at either end of the dashboard ergonomically positioned to ensure a natural feel and vision for the driver. The vehicle also features a digital rear view camera increasing the driver’s field of vision.

Honda e Prototype Interior

[​IMG]

Honda e Prototype Drivetrain

The Honda e Prototype will deliver a range of over 100 miles with ‘fast charge’ functionality including an 80% battery charge from flat in just 30 minutes. The electric motor of unknown power specs drives the rear wheels.

There are a number of problems with this “Prototype”. First being the range. 100-miles in an era of 300+ mile range B EVs will slow sales. The small car and retro look may be cool for the past but vehicles like VWs upcoming I.D. 3 with modern looks, excellent 250+ mile performance, and a price tag of less than $35k for the a 150 mile range and possibly $40k for the 250+ mile range offering.

The big news however arises from the fact that Honda has moved up its 66 percent electrified drivetrain commitment to 100 percent by 2025.

Early in 2019, Honda successfully launched the all-new CR-V Hybrid for Europe, featuring its two-motor i-MMD full hybrid technology. Honda expects full hybrid technology to play a key role in meeting its aims of 100% electrification by 2025.

BillLin likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

100 miles of range in a city car is more than enough. But what matters is people's perception. And if they "need" (perception) 250 mile range and then "see" the price
    to get that much battery………. in the USA it will go nowhere. I assume it's a tease for our marketplace and is meant for European and Asian cities. Too bad it won't be sold here.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  3. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

Too bad it won't be sold here.

How many times have we heard this before? What will it take for a change?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Higher gas prices.

But this BEV would have under 80 miles of range by the EPA test. So high gas prices won't help it much.

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Does anyone here realize how long it takes to go 80 miles inside a modern congested CITY ?
    Unless your job is Uber driver , you don't have TIME to drive 80 miles.
    80 miles for a pure city car is fine. Me , I live in the suburbs and drive 70 miles a day just to get to work and back.
    An 80 (EPA) car would be cutting it pretty close , especially in winter , after a couple of years.
    Americans are a bunch of spoiled whiney babies. We want it all and we want it now , we want to have our cake AND eat it.

6. Trollbait

80 miles(this actually my generous estimate, it would likely be much closer to 70) is fine for a city car. It can even work for many commutes. Plenty do have a Leaf. And while I agree with the whiney American comment, the typical use cycle of a car in the US is longer distances and more annual miles than Europe and Japan. We are a physically bigger with more urban sprawl. So while low range BEVs can work for many here, they are a much harder sell, and they don't do any good sitting on a dealer lot.

My commute is 62 miles round trip. I figure 90 miles of range is the minimum. The Ioniq Electric would be plenty, but it would require a Level 2 charger. Since a work the typical 5 days a week, a Bolt would only need Level 1 as that replace most of the miles driven on a week day, and fully charge the car on the weekend.

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

I admire the Bolt , but it's a lotta battery to pay for when you only need 70 miles a day. I do like the Ioniq Electric which also has more than enough range.
    The Ioniq PHEV is also looking pretty good to me. I know all about urban sprawl. Everything is far away ; we've grown accustomed to driving 20-30 miles to go anywhere ,
    we make up for traffic by accelerating like a madman to the next traffic signal. Ya see...…. that's how you show your mastery of the "system" , by getting to the next
    traffic signal before the next guy. Man , I'm getting tired of driving in it.

8. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

Urban sprawl has several reasons, but I think economics plays a significant role. Especially in southern CA for example, where higher paying (i.e. corporate/"white collar") jobs tend to be concentrated in densely populated metropolitan areas, which causes housing prices in the area to skyrocket. This drives people lower on the income scale or those who want to save money (at the expense of significant commuting time) to live several cities or counties away and suffer the large commute, but still come out ahead because housing might be 50% or less of the cost out there.

The previous owner of my Prius C is a typical example, lived in the Inland Empire and commuted to LA county every day... it's how he racked up about 25k miles/year. I know several colleagues in similar situations, some of them take train/bus to at least relieve the driving stress, but others continue to drive 50 or more miles one way every day.

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to live just 10.8 miles away from my current workplace... who knows how long that will last.

9. Trollbait

Its pay for the battery, or pay for the Level 2 EVSE. Which I admit is cheaper for most, but since my garage and driveway are at the back of the property, away from the house, my cost will involve trench digging.
    California is home of the supercommute.

Many reasons for sprawl. The American dream of home ownership and cars, plus the shunning of public transit is at the root of most of them.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 66 d eg F in Naperville , 65 in Wood Dale , 61 in Toronto.
    35.0 miles ,62.6 MPG. Tank is at 440.5 miles , 66.7 MPG.

BillLin likes this.
  11. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Well-Known Member

I would love to own a Honda e - compact 4 door hatchback, with rear wheel drive and side video mirrors! Retro-esque styling that is clean as a whistle.

BillLin likes this.