2020 Toyota Corolla Goes Hybrid!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 28, 2018.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] 52 years since its introduction, the most efficient Corolla in history is almost ready for U.S. consumption!

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – November 28, 2018

2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid!

[​IMG]

Los Angeles, CA -- From the 2018 LA Auto Show, Toyota introduces the refreshed 2020 Toyota Corolla but this time as a hybrid with a 50+ mpg combined rating!

While the Big 3 have or will soon be leaving the C-segment, Toyota’s 2020 Corolla Hybrid runs head first into the gap by adapting Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive directly from the hyper efficient 4th gen Prius.

The hybrid powertrain and battery in the new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) Corolla platform have lost little cargo or passenger volume vs the std. Gas model while offering a 60/40 split fold down rear seat.

The new hybrid system combines the very familiar akinsonized 1.8L I4 engine with two motor/generators through an electronically controlled planetary-type continuously variable transmission (CVT) transaxle. Combined system output of 121 horsepower yields enough performance to meet anyone’s daily needs.

New Battery, Older Chemistry

The Ni-MH battery pack employs a newly developed technology called Hyper-Prime Nickel to boost battery performance in a smaller and lighter package.

A preload differential torque during low loads and low differential rotation is distributed to the left and right wheels, yielding improved stability. At mid-range and high engine loads, the preload differential functions as an open differential. I need more detail on this however…

2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Exclusives

The Corolla Hybrid rolls on 15” alloys w/ low-rolling resistance tires. The new multi-link rear suspension improves both handling and ride comfort.

A 7-inch Multi-Information Driver Display (MID) includes the speedometer and hybrid system indicator/real-time battery charge status indicator. Drivers who like the visual appeal of seeing engine rpm can choose to display a tach.

2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Infotainment

The 2020 Corolla Hybrid includes standard Entune 3.0 Audio with an 8” touchscreen; six speakers; Apple CarPlay; Amazon Alexa; Entune 3.0 App Suite Connect; Safety Connect; Wi-Fi Connect; Scout GPS Link Compatible; Siri Eyes Free; auxiliary audio jack and USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control; AM/FM; MP3/WMA playback capability; voice recognition training and tutorials; hands-free phone capability; voice recognition; music streaming via Bluetooth; customizable home screen, and weather/traffic information via Entune 3.0 App Suite. And it is still missing Android Auto. In other words, Scout GPS sucks Toyota!!!

2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Safety

The Corolla Hybrid features eight standard airbags and Toyota’s Star Safety System, which includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System, and Smart Stop Technology. All Corolla models come equipped with a standard backup camera.

Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 is also standard and includes PCS (Pre-Collision System), Full-Speed DRCC (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control): capable of low-speed following up to speeds of about 24 mph. The Corolla can stop when the vehicle ahead comes to a stop, maintaining an appropriate distance to it. LDA (Lane Departure Alert) w/ Steer Assist: Designed to give the driver audible and visual warnings and, if necessary. It also detects excess weaving within the driving lane that might indicate driver distraction, inattention or drowsiness. LTA (Lane Tracing Assist): LTA is a lane centering function that will make constant steering inputs to help the driver keep the vehicle in its lane. AHB (Automatic High Beam) and RSA (Road Sign Assist) round out the system.

Toyota’s promise to create hybrids that do not look like hybrids are beginning to show their face. Camry, Avalon, ES 300h, and RAV4. Add the Corolla to the list and they have covered just about all the bases.

[​IMG]

With an on-sale date this coming Spring, I cannot wait to drive this new super sedan! :)

EdwinTheMagnificent likes this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Hey , this isn't quite as goofy-looking as the outgoing Corolla. Nice.

3. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

"While the Big 3 have or will soon be leaving the C-segment, Toyota’s 2020 Corolla Hybrid runs head first into the gap by adapting Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive directly from the hyper efficient 4th gen Prius."

Which is what confounds me about the 'big 3'.

The corolla hybrid is the perfect commuter car turn beater that will be around for 200,000+ miles that mom and dad are going to send Bif and Kat off to college in. Bif and Kat are going to have some brand loyalty going forward into their adult car buying lives. Now the 'big 3' start looking like the 'shrinking 3' -- isn't that how it works?

/add, and even if better/cheaper BEVs are around the corner -- 50+ mpg is hard to beat from a practical standpoint -- even with $4+/g gas. Now throw in time to build charging infrastructure and time to build consumer confidence in said BEVs -- you're talking decades away from market share dominance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    xcel likes this.
  4. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

A bit too bland for my tastes. This will compete with the insight but let see which is better.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    xcel likes this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Without driving either one.............. Insight wins.

xcel likes this.
  6. Carcus

Carcus Well-Known Member

I agree, but the Corolla has 3 strong points vs the insight:

1. Price -- I'm guessing $2,500 difference (comp equipped), maybe more between the two cars. (if Toyota can price this @ $21,500- ish, they ought to sell quite a few.)
    2. Reliability -- Toyota's Nimh hybrid reputation is second to none, I think Honda is good now -- but they are still a little tainted from their first effort in hybrids
    3. ACC -- A big feature in my book. I've driven Toyota's and have been impressed/ have not driven Honda's but I don't think they are up to the same level.

xcel and seftonm like this.
  7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The ACC in my Civic is not good. The changes between cruise / acceleration / deceleration states are too abrupt. And it accelerates and brakes harder than I would like.

xcel likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

Margins are tight on 'smaller' cars. The Corolla outsells the Cruze and Focus by two to three times. Keeping the Corolla around is easier to justify in terms of money flow than the others.

Then the Focus and Cruze aren't really going away. We will be getting a crossoverish Focus hatchback that, honestly, looks just like the current one with roof rails. Then the plant that makes the Cruze hatchback isn't being closed, and for all we know GM could be moving sedan production there.
    I thought those would be adjustable, or is it just following distance?

xcel likes this.
  9. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

The only thing I saw how to adjust was following distance.

xcel likes this.
  10. xcel

That said, another possible reason we are finally seeing a hopefully much less expensive Corolla Hybrid is Insight sales over the past few months have been pretty good. While not stellar, they are enough to make a dent in the slowly declining sales of the Prius here in the U.S. Especially October's result.

2018 U.S. Honda Insight vs Prius Liftback Sales

October - 2,140/3,772
    September - 1,844/4,370
    August - 2,212/5,230
    July - 1,972/4,531
    June - 274/4,786 <-- Short launch month for Insight

Wayne

11. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

I think any hybrid that comes to market puts a dent in Prius sales. Let's face it, the Prius' heyday was because of higher fuel costs and there not being much other choice, not because the masses actually liked the car.

12. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne, any site where to get these numbers? hybridcars.com used to have their monthly sales breakdown for hybrids/PHEV/EV but seems they stopped.

xcel likes this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I believe the Prius sells in times of cheap fuel partly because of Toyota's stellar reputation for quality.

Buying anything else , except perhaps an Insight , would be like rolling the dice , for me anyway.

xcel likes this.
  14. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

I see now those 2 numbers are still easy to get since they are separate models. But Honda Accord Hybrid or MDX Hybrid are not specified anymore and not sure if anyone has that data.

15. xcel

Hi Luke:

I used to complete them on every monthly sales release but once GM went to a three month sales release schedule and the entire effort seemed a bit out of sorts to report Ford on down and the Hybrid and Electric section missing Volt and Bolt sales results.

I have asked Honda in the past for the Hybrid breakouts after they stopped publishing them earlier this year and they refused. No sense in beating a dead horse and wasting my time any more.

Wayne

16. Luke

Luke Well-Known Member

Honda only mentioned over 5K sales in November '18. So that would likely be between 1-2K sales for Accord Hybrid (5,000-1,833-1,903) which is surprisingly small % of total Accord sales given small price premium. But Toyota typically does bit better with hybrid sales %. I'm guessing since people know they offer these models, and I noticed some people are unaware that Honda even offers some of these models. RAV4 Hybrid should be still at top of hybrid car sales surpassing Prius.

UPDATE: I found Toyota at least does break out sales numbers: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...rts-us-sales-for-november-2018-300758918.html

Seems combined Prius sales are actually bit higher now than RAV4 hybrid (5,492 vs 3,907).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM